• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with MonoGame versions and MSTS environments Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

This may be a known problem. I’ve been running the unstable and the NewYear MG of Open Rail and decided to turn on the MSTS environments in the Experimental feature tab. When I got into a route with Season set to Summer and Weather Set to Clear, I noticed that the sky out the windows of the locomotive didn’t look quite right. I turned the camera so that it was pointing to the zenith and did a screen capture (see photo).

Attached File  monogame-msts-envirsm.jpg (291.25K)
Number of downloads: 7

I tested this in both MonoGame versions of OR and compared it with the current release and it appears only in the two MonoGame versions that I tested. My system configuration is:

IOS = E16P1IMS.102 (American Megatrends Inc.)
Processor = Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 threads, 4 cores, 2.8 GHz) (L1 Cache 256 KB) (L2 Cache 1024 KB) (L3 Cache 6144 KB)
Memory = 15.9 GB
Video = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (4.0 GB RAM) (nvlddmkm 26.21.14.4120)
Video = Intel® HD Graphics 630 (1.0 GB RAM) (igdkmd64 26.20.100.7584)
Display = \\.\DISPLAY4 (1920 x 1080, 32-bit, primary, 0 x 0)
Sound = NVIDIA High Definition Audio (nvhda64v 1.3.38.21)
Sound = Realtek High Definition Audio (rtkvhd64 6.0.1.8328)
Disk = C: (Local Fixed Disk, NTFS, 464.3 GB, 116.7 GB free)
Disk = D: (Local Fixed Disk, NTFS, 465.8 GB, 115.5 GB free)
OS = Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0.18363)
Runtimes = 2.0.50727 SP2 3.0 SP2 3.5 SP1 4 Client 4 Full 4.0 Client
Runtime = 4.0.30319.42000 (32bit)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested and the problem exhibited in the following releases and older on the unstable release:
Version = U2020.01.13-0851
Build = 2020.01.13.0851 (2000-01-14 00:28:22Z)
Version = NewYear MG (unofficial)-U2020.01.05-0906 Rev. 48.6.
Build = 0.0.7312.40654 (2020-01-08 22:35:08Z)

The MSTS environments was turned on and working in the following release and older for the official release of OR:
Version = 1.3.1.4328
Build = 1.3.1.4328 (2000-01-02 02:24:16Z)

I made sure that all versions of OR was using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 card and not the Intel.

I know that using the Experimental feature tab items is at your own risk, but if it works in the official version, it should work in the MonoGame versions as well. Also, this could be a symptom to other problems in the MonoGame versions as well. Which is the reason I’m reporting it. If you need more information from me, please let me know what you would like.

Another problem I noticed on the both MonoGame versions that on full screen, the Windows Taskbar stays visual and during the route load you don’t see the load bar and during the route you lose the bottom of the screen where the Taskbar is.

I hope this is helpful,

Phil

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, you are right, when I did the big porting to MG I didn't dedicate the necessary attention to the MSTS sky environments. With OR NewYear MG Rev. 49.2 they should have now the same look as in the testing version. If this is confirmed, the same change will be introduced in the unstable version.

Re the second point unfortunately I'm not an expert in windows management.

#3 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

I downloaded 49.2 OR NewYear MG and it does fix the MSTS environment problem.

On the taskbar showing, I've not looked at your code (plus I'm not a C# or graphic programmer), but looking at some of the MonoGame forums, it appears that if the Windows Size that is selected in the game is equal to the native screen width and height for full screen then graphics.IsFullScreen = true; needs to be set to get the taskbar to not show. Again, you may be already doing this and I apologize for trying to second guess you.

Let me say that I think you all are doing a great job of coding and I don't mean to appear to criticize. I'm looking forward to when the MonoGame conversion gets moved into production.

Phil

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:09 AM

Hi,
are you able to provide the link for that thread in the Monogame forum?

In the meantime I have inserted the fix also in the Monogame PR to the official OR, so that it should be included in few minutes in the Unstable version.

#5 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Hello Csantucci,

It looks like I should have waited a day to post. I usually try to keep the betas (or I should say the alphas) up to date for testing.

Again, I'm not a graphic programmer but doing some searches on the full screen in MonoGame, it looked to me that several things need to happen. One, get the screen resolution that the user has set. Two get the native screen resolution. Then compare, and if equal set to full screen. Since I don't know MonoGame it may be you only need to do a few steps. Look at the last link and at lozzajp response.

Here were some of the links that I found:

This first one was the first I came across with two problems, the taskbar showing and performance,
full screen in Monogame
The StackOverflow shows two ways for fullscreen,
stackoverflow full screen MonoGame
StackExchange has about how to detect display resolution,
Detect display resolution
And another one of getting the game to fit the full screen,
Make game window fill full screen

I will try to see if I can find a few more tomorrow. We got some snow yesterday and I've got to dig out so I can get somethings in town.

I hope the above will be helpful,

Phil

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:41 PM

Thank you for the research done, there's useful info inside. Sun here.

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

I've uploaded Rev. 49.3, which solves the taskbar problem, at least here.

#8 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

Hello Csantucci,

I tried it and I’m still getting the taskbar on launch of a route and when the route is fully loaded, if I do nothing but let it load. However there is some difference in behavior from 49.2 compared to 49.3. First, let me briefly state the behavior for each version. In the stable release (the one people normally download), when you launch the route, you get the route opening screen in full screen, with a load bar at the bottom that I would say is about 2 or 3 mm. You also get a very small part of the title bar of the window at the top (maybe 2 mm). This is true for either with Fast full-screen alt-tab checked or not. If you use your mouse cursor to move the title bar it will make the title bar full with losing the bottom of screen (no load bar, but also no task bar). If you don’t do this you pretty much get a full screen (with only the small amount of the title bar showing, as I said maybe 2 mm or less). In the unstable release and version 49.2 of newyear you got again the small amount of the title bar at the top, but you didn’t see the load bar because it was being hidden by Windows task bar at the bottom.

Now what is different in 49.3, (this is for me) when the Fast full-screen alt-tab is not checked behavior is like before (task bar visible at the bottom, no load bar). When the Fast full-screen alt-tab is checked, you get the small part of the title bar visible and you get the load bar visible, however you can also see the desktop (about 2 to 3 mm) on the left hand side of the OR window and you can see about 3mm of the task bar at the bottom. The right hand side and the top of the windows appear to be in the correct location on the screen (at the right side of the screen, no space and at the top with no space). If I use my mouse cursor to move the title bar, I can get it to spring to a full screen with a full title bar (option for minimized the window, full screen (greyed out) and close windows on the right and the OR logo on left), and the load bar it at the bottom (no task bar visible). It acting like the point of the window for OR is off on the left and bottom at launch. I am running Windows 10, is that the OS you are using? Also, can you get a few more people to test this and see what they get? And, is there any more information I can give you that would help with diagnosing the problem that I'm seeing? If you need screen shots, let me know. With it working somewhat with 49.3 (for me) in Fast full-screen alt-tab (with a little help with moving the title bar) its almost there. I'm not sure why the window is not going to full screen at launch, when I can manually do it.

Phil

#9 User is offline   MMax 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:18 AM

It seems to me that you are trying to use not fullscreen, but to just maximize Open Rails in windowed mode. If you set a resolution that is as big as your screen, it will then end up behind the taskbar, just like any other program window that is too big to fit the desktop.
Have you unchecked "Windowed" in the main menu? This may be the problem here – or I have totally misunderstood what you were aiming to do.

Greetings

Edit: Have you tried clicking on the loading screen? Sometimes the taskbar was like that for me to, but clicking on the loading screen / OR "Window" hid it.

#10 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:23 AM

Hi Phil,
some statements and questions:
1) I don't get the taskbar when launching OR, when I have the Windowed checkbox unchecked, neither with Fast full-screen alt-tab enabled nor in the opposite case
2) I am testing with an OR window size smaller than the screen size, that is 1366x768 vs. 1600x900
3) I am having OR using the full screen at startup, bothj with Fast full-screen alt-tab enabled and in the opposite case
4) switching at game time from windowed mode to full screen causes OR to occupy the full screen, both with Fast full-screen alt-tab enabled and in the opposite case
5) What the stable release of OR actually does is not necessarily the only acceptable solution
6) What resolution has your screen, and what resolution have your set as window size?
7) Pictures including info about the parameters used can help focussing the issue.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users