Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strange location for logfiles Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:47 AM

The evaluation logfiles (not OpenRailsLog.txt) are stored into C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming, that is at the same level than all the subdirectories of the various applications. Activity save data instead are stored into C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails, which seems a cleaner place to me.
Couldn't also the evaluation logfiles be saved there?

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

IMO it would be far better to put a path specification in the registry or even better, just add a \logs folder in the home directory of the content specified at run time and drop them all there.

I have always believed \appdata is just that -- application data, as in DATA; it should not be used as a place for information given to the end user. If you think about it, if \appdata was mindlessly adhered to every file used by OR would go there. But they don't and they should not because we have created them all and need to see them on occasion. Are all MS Word documents placed in \appdata? No. MS Excel? No. Why should log files be hidden away in \appdata?

Let \appdata be for the program's own use and put files used by people where they can get to it with no fuss.

#3 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

Fully agree with Dave. But this discussion has now been going on for years, so I have little hope that this will be resolved any time soon.

Regards.
Rob Roeterdink

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:34 AM

I don't agree having such files attached to the content. The content is something fixed (I e.g. have it on a SD card which reads fast but writes slowly). For sure the actual solution for the logfiles is more or less the worst one. M$ foresees for that some subfolders of MyUser. Excel and Word files are as default within MyUser\Documents. OR Logfiles could be located around there.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 January 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

Excel and Word files are as default within MyUser\Documents. OR Logfiles could be located around there.

Another utterly worthless directory.

There was a time when everybody saved their files in C:\ because they didn't understand directories (yes, it was actually that way in the DOS years). Naturally within a short time it was a complete mess but that didn't stop people from continuing to pile ever more stuff there. \My Documents is no different -- for people who don't know jack. If somebody wants to use a garbage dumpster for their files, so be it. But for those of us that don't give us the ability to redirect them.

Having thought a bit more I believe adding a directory to the content home folder is a really good idea. No matter which mini route you use today the logs are there and they won't be cluttered with logs from routes in other mini-route trees. Something like \Open Rails, within which could hold \logs, \screenshots, \options, and anything else that would be proper to grant to each miniroute tree because that is where each user actually interacts with files.

#6 User is offline   mrbreeze 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

Does the location have to be a fixed one? If the location of content can be defined by the user, why can't the location of the log files. Just define a path in the Content area or in the debug area.

#7 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

I think given the trouble many have about installing certain programs in the C:\Program Files etc directory, steering experienced and novice user away from C: altogether is a good idea. But, many a novice install everything on C: as often I see Windows installed from the manufacturer of laptops etc on what seems to be the only partition that the user can use.

I might be a little "old school", but I would much rather see things like log files not hidden knee deep in Microsoft opaque rules. Mostly the reason for having things like the "registry" is to enforce the non portability of installations. This of course is supplanted by making images of complete drives and copying them over to the new installation, of course Microsoft has made this a little more trouble than it should be (in my experience with expired hard disks!).

So I think I have to agree with another user, yes the default should be where you currently have it, but there should be an avenue that allows the users to define where the log file should go. I personally hate that so many installers INSIST on placing data in directories, as mentioned in the original post and have the user suffer no end trying to locate where the blazes they decided to put it.

I am a big believer in localizing stuff where the program is actually installed, even if it is in a sub-directory. The fact that Carlo has mentioned this is the first place brings to mind that the current location of things like log files is not really ideal at all.

A little late, but Happy 2020,
Steve

#8 User is offline   MYR39 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

Hello! Is there a possibility that the data displayed in the "DISPACHER INFORMATION" section can be included in the OpenRailsDump file, more precisely the player speeds and maximum speed in that sector of rail route?
This information is needed to analyze at the end of the activity the speed used by the player, in relation to the maximum speed on that rail route sector.
Best regards.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users