Elvas Tower: AutoDesk Software to .s Files - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AutoDesk Software to .s Files Converting from AutoDesk Files to OR/MSTS Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

Unfortunately, I do not (no longer) know exactly what limitation of the polygon count for conv3ds.exe in general.
But since you report problems with single LOD's, maybe the following can help: I have always made the experience that it is very important to use the same(!) number of textures (materials) in all LOD's of a model. At least 1 polygon of each material of the first LOD should be represented in each(!) LOD.
Otherwise con3ds.exe often makes trouble when using multiple LOD in a 3ds-model.
By the way, it is the same with the hierarchy and number of the sub-objects in all LODs of a 3ds-model.

#12 User is offline   UranGS 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: New Hire
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 April 2020 - 08:03 PM

Yes, I don’t know either. Therefore, I use all my diesel locomotives without LOD. Yes, it would be more convenient to work with LOD as separate objects, as in Trainz. And with the help of scripts they are combined as a parameter in ORTS FreightAnim very similar. But FreightAnim is also not intended for such manipulations. In general, for the future we need a new converter from 3DS MAX for ORTS, that would be great.! Thanks Jonas.! P.S. Goku, I don't know Blender yet and have never used it, but thanks anyway for the help! My locomotives can be seen on the website http://www.trainsim....=16531&page=137

#13 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:00 AM

Learn how to export objects using Blender, you won't regret it.
Blender has the best .S file exporter. Very easy to use, make LODs etc. and it performs a lot of shape optimizations during export, unlike other exporters.

There are two versions, one for blender 2.79. Older and slower but there are more tutorials for blender 2.79:

http://www.elvastowe...rt-plugin-v-35/

And for new blender 2.8:

http://www.elvastowe...rt-plugin-v-43/

Choose version, download zip file and read included PDF file.

#14 User is offline   UranGS 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

Hi Goku .. !! Thanks for the help.! But I will have to transfer my entire project to Blender, which is 2 series of electric locomotives, 5 series of diesel locomotives and 20 locomotive depots, a contact network, an alarm system, in general, complete horror. I'm just in shock.! ))) Of course for me, it would be better to stay in 3DS MAX, but my project is 70% ready. Transferring it from 3DS MAX to Blender will take even more time. If the project was started in Blender, this is another matter. And I honestly don’t know what to do.

#15 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

> 3DS MAX

The lack of support is mainly due to the high cost of 3DS Max. We are mostly just hobbyists doing things for fun and not charging for our time and effort. Its hard for volunteer developers to justify spending the money to buy 3DS Max just to see our efforts add to a commercial software's profits.

#16 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:40 AM

> But I will have to transfer my entire project to Blender

Post #11 mentioned con3ds.exe. Is it any help for you?

#17 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

View PostUranGS, on 18 April 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

Hi Goku .. !! Thanks for the help.! But I will have to transfer my entire project to Blender, which is 2 series of electric locomotives, 5 series of diesel locomotives and 20 locomotive depots, a contact network, an alarm system, in general, complete horror. I'm just in shock.! ))) Of course for me, it would be better to stay in 3DS MAX, but my project is 70% ready. Transferring it from 3DS MAX to Blender will take even more time. If the project was started in Blender, this is another matter. And I honestly don’t know what to do.

Just finish it using 3ds max. Then import your finished project to blender using fbx/3ds file format. Adjust hierarchy and texture settings and just export it. No need to learn modeling in blender. Only thing I don't know is if animations require some work, I've never done it this way.

#18 User is offline   UranGS 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

Wacampbell, I agree with you. Goku, In general, I will experiment with this and unsubscribe to you. What you do is worthy of great respect and gratitude.! I really like your Open Rails project. Thank you for such an opportunity, for your time, for ORTS . !!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users