Elvas Tower: Maximum Speeds and Consists - Elvas Tower

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maximum Speeds and Consists Thoughts about setting the Maximum Speed for a Train Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is online   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

Oh yeah, that makes lots of sense. Sort of like the description of the Turbo Encabulator.

As one mathematically challenged, I like the tables...... :lol: :bigboss:

#12 User is offline   R H Steele 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif

#13 User is offline   Dogbert 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR MonoGame

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:42 AM

All the maths used to go right over my head, when i was an apprentice and then a fitter.

Just give me a massive spanner and a huge hammer and i was happy. :rofl2: :rofl2:

You know the saying "donkeys years" in San Diego then, atsf37l :good2:

Mike.

#14 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM

Yes. You can set the maximum speed for a consist using the consist file. (In meters per second as you did in MSTS.)
Yes. You can specify a rate for acceleration and deceleration in the consist file. (As you did in MSTS as a % of maximum acceleration whatever that is.)
Using the two together you could arrange for AI traffic to run at the correct speed and keep timetable time over most sections of a route in an MSTS activity.

I was of the opinion that OpenRails aimed to improve upon the way things were done in MSTS and not to simply replicate them. Hence the original post suggesting the possibility to specify maximum permissible speeds for locomotives and rolling stock in mph or km/h in eng and wag files rather than in m/s in consist files.
Thinking here that if you specify a maximum speed in a consist file and attach a vehicle that is not allowed to operate at that speed it has not effect on the maximum permitted speed of the consist.
At present timetable editor gives us some measure of control over acceleration, although perhaps less than MSTS did in consist files. I need to catch up with recent developments there as I am way behind.
I assume it would be possible in time table editor to specify different maximum speeds when vehicles were attached or detached - provided that each time the train became a new train in a new column.
When in timetable mode do the values in consist files have any effect on performance?

#15 User is online   atsf37l 

• Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

View PostDogbert, on 23 February 2020 - 09:42 AM, said:

All the maths used to go right over my head, when i was an apprentice and then a fitter.

Just give me a massive spanner and a huge hammer and i was happy. :rofl2: :rofl2:

You know the saying "donkeys years" in San Diego then, atsf37l :good2:

Mike.

And don't forget, if one drop of oil is good 10 is better. Yup, I was married to a Brit once, God rest her. And Bob's your uncle.

#16 User is offline   Dogbert 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR MonoGame

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:59 PM

View Postatsf37l, on 23 February 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

And don't forget, if one drop of oil is good 10 is better. Yup, I was married to a Brit once, God rest her. And Bob's your uncle.

Hahahahahahahaha, oh yes most definitely.

Nice one and yes Bob is your uncle, if he is a relative. :lol2:

Mike.

#17 User is offline   btrs 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

Want to revive this topic after I saw some strange behavior..

I was running the following train consist:

* FCS 101 044 (DB 101, Halycon Fahrzeugpaket and other German add-ons)
* 8 FCS IC-Wagen (Intercity cars, also Halycon Fahrzeugpaket)

Route used was ProTrain 38 Hannover-Kassel, but I ran an explore route activity between Göttingen and Kassel.
On the high speed-section, which is used by the train's set path, the maximum line speed is 250 km/h.
The locomotive's maximum permitted speed is 220 km/h.

However, the passenger cars maximum permitted speed is 200 km/h, so the actual speed limit should have been 200 km/h.
In reality, it was the speed limit of the locomotive (220 km/h) that was set as speed limit.

I've checked and none of the IC-cars have a line MaxVelocity (200 kmh). I don't know if this is valid for MSTS in wag-files, so is it invalid or ignored for OR as well ?

Eventually, the behavior I want OR to implement is that the lowest of all MaxVelocity (both eng and wag) values is taken into account as the set speed limit.
Such a practice is common in real railways: let's take the consist of the following EuroNight train in 2018:
https://www.vagonweb...20Imre&rok=2018

* The DB 120 as loco has a maximum speed of 200 km/h
* The 5 first (Croatian Railways) coaches have a maximum speed of 160 km/h
* All other coaches have a maximum speed of 200 km/h

If I now want to simulate this in OR and I run it on a route with a maximum line speed of 200 km/h (or higher), the actual speed limit of the train should be limited to 160 km/h, since the 5 Croatian coaches are restricting the total train's maximum speed to 160 km/h.
So how do I enforce OR to do this ? Some diagonal reading from the posts above suggests that the consist file also has a MaxVelocity line, and if a train should have a lower speed than its engine's maximum speed it should be set there. Is this the right behavior or does OR also ignore this value ?

#18 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:13 PM

OR, like MSTS, does not have a feature to set the max speed of the individual car. It takes however in consideration the max speed of the consist (MaxVelocity).

#19 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

My understanding is

MaxVelocity in eng files only affects performance of MSTS files and does not set a speed limit as such.
MaxVelocity in wag files is not currently valid in OR.

The only valid way to set a speed limit in OR is using the consist file in activity mode and explore mode, or using an equivalent in the timetable column in timetable mode.
Attaching or detaching vehicles does not change the speed limit. (Nor in activity mode can you set a speed limit for a light engine, which will be lower than the speed limit for a train it will subsequently pull.)
In timetable mode if attaching or detaching changes the speed limit for the train then it needs to form a new train in a new column.

#20 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:11 PM

Sound to me like this would be covered in the special instructions or timetable.
That would make it the responsibility of the engineer and conductor to know the speed limit of their train based on the consist.
Trackside speed limit signs and signal aspects will tell you the track speed permitted, the paperwork will tell you how fast you can go.
How do you simulate that.

Steve

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users