Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uncomfortable manual gear up/down Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:50 AM

This concerns gear-based trainsets with manual gear up/down. When you press the gear up/down keys, you must be very fast: if you press the keys for more than 200 ms, the gears increase/decrease by more than 1 gear, which is undesired. Bug report https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1857754 .

#2 User is offline   Jean-Paul 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:59 AM

Hi Carlo,
I've just tried with a french railcar (1.3.1.-108), and I didn't notice the problem. More precisely, command is as sensible as usual and requires speed and precision to be correctly efficient.
Cheers !
Jean-Paul

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:50 AM

Hi Jean-Paul,
happy to see that there is someone else using gear-based trainsets!
I'm not saying that the situation has worsened lately: it has always been so (I've changed the wording to "uncomfortable"). In MSTS you could press the gear up/down keys as long as you wanted, but the gear changed only by one. In OR the command "requires speed and precision", to use your own words. I don't think it's good so. When you want to gear up, you want to gear up only by one gear (at least most of the times). So I have now modified working of the keys. As long as you don't press the key for more than a second, the gear changes only by one. So you don't have to be "fast". If you press for more than one second, the gear will continue going up (or down), but always one by one per second. I've tried it and it seems quite more comfortable to me. You can test it in Unstable release U2019.12.28-1436.

#4 User is offline   Jean-Paul 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:35 AM

Hi Carlo !
Pretty good idea ! And many thanks for it !
So, I use very often french railcars with manual gearbox (X2400, X 3800 available @ http://www.bb25187.eu/ Highly detailed... and I worked on the .eng :naughty: ). As a regular user, I think I got used to the OR sensitivity of gear command ! Even if, sometimes, I find myself in neutral (We've added a neutral point between each gear-ratio, to simulate "double-clutch" action).
It's funny to see how we can accommodate easily with a uncomfortable configuration !
Thanks again !
Cheers,
Jean-Paul

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users