• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ENG/WAG Values - The Definitive List ? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

My discussion post was intended as an inspiration for a similar Open Rails parameters guide.
Of course in English - international.
Its advantage would be the possibility of a broad discussion about the parameters and their values in the conditions of various railway authorities and technologies.

#22 User is offline   BillC 

• Conductor
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:16 PM

[quote name='Genma Saotome' timestamp='1574197549' post='252870']
I've implemented all of the suggestions posted above as syntax in my editor (Emeditor pro) for .con and .inc files. Note, my eye's have been "failing" (I'll probably have corneal transplant surgery in December) and so as my own visual aid I've set the font to be pretty "loud".

Dave,
Good luck with your eye surgery. I had surgery for a detached retina in June. As your proballey aware any eye surgery may not be 100% successful. In my case the success rate was 85%, and was successful. May the odds be with you.

As noted above to have a comprehensive list via google docs. I would suggest using Github to have an up to date list from various sources. When done in plain text, other tools can be used to format for Word, PDF, etc.

#23 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

View PostBillC, on 22 November 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

Dave,
Good luck with your eye surgery.

Thanks. The Dr first proposed a procedure to smooth the surface of my cornea, quite safe, not much chance of complications but by the end of my appt. had come around to corneal replacement which is riskier but produces better results. He said it requires use of something akin to a tiny apple core-er to cut out a disk at the center of one's cornea followed by dropping in a replacement obtained from a deceased donor. Stitches, chance of infection, chance of rejection (at any time), better vision. It'll occur on Dec 31.

I have three problems: very dry eyes will eventually has caused the surface of the cornea to look like tiny ball peen hammers have pelted the whole surface leaving too-deep-for-tears to fill evenly (as they normally do with any surface irregularity), so your visual acuity goes to hell in a hand basket. Fuchs corneal distrophy which is the death of a single layer of cells below the cornea. Their job it is to wick away moisture. When they don't the bottom of the cornea will become scared. And age related cataracts are starting to appear which changes perception of color. Three problems, three different effects upon vision. The Fuchs proceeds very slowly so I might not ever have to deal with that but the other two are a problem now.

#24 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

View Postscottb613, on 22 November 2019 - 03:49 AM, said:

I know Peter updated Basic Couplers to Advanced Couplers - but I'm really not sure how they differ that much from Basic Couplers - the "Size" of the shape controlled the car spacing and the "r0" controlled the slack in "Basic"...

This feature is not considered "user ready" at the moment so it shouldn't be allowed for at this time.

#25 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:00 AM

Hi, every one.

For the last months, since I've paused my development of Portuguese routes I've been going around Peter's site "Coals to Newcastle" (thank you so much for all your work Peter) and trying to definitely upgrade all my old MSTS eng and wag files to current ORTS standards.

Right now I'm focusing on two diesel locomotives - an Alco CP1500, very similar to an Alco RSC3, and a EE CP1800, mechanically similar to a Class 47 although on the outside it resembles a class 50.

My main difficulties so far are with traction curve calculations and the lack of a definitive list of parameters. It always seems to me that I find a new parameter every time I get on the subject.
With this said, I would like to help with the work you guys are doing here.

I'd like to share with you the work I've done with the CP1800 - in 2018 I've changed some insights with darwins concerning vacuum airbrakes and exhausters but unfortunately I've had to stop on that since the only CP1800 remaining in Portugal is not accessible to me to search for exhaust model number. Anyways, here's a link for a zipped file on my CP1800 pack. Mind that in the root folder there are MSTS only eng files and the ORTS ones are in the OpenRails subfolder along with the include files I use for the locomotive.

CP1800 rar file

#26 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

So how hard can getting a "definitive list" be, right? HA! Ha-ha, ha, ha, ha . . .

Here is my first cut at a truly "definitive list". If you like wading through data, then you should have fun with this!

In a nutshell, the attached spreadsheet looks at the OR input parameters from a couple of perspectives.
1. A C# program trolls through a list of relevant .cs files and finds all parameters/tokens that are read from external files. (More on why I used a subset of files a bit later)
2. After running the C# program, the processed parameter list from the OR code is then compared, on sheet "Parameter Comparison", to:
- the OR manual
- steamer_ctn's very comprehensive Coals to Newcastle website (I think I have captured all parameters covered on the website)
- and Scott's list
3. The comparison is 2-way. In other words, what is in the OR code that is or isn't in the manual, website or list? and also, what is in the manual, website or list that is or isn't in the OR code?
4. The sheet "ORTS Parameters decoded", shows the code snippet which actually reads the external data along with the respective class file (.cs file) where the snippet resides.

5. And finally, the last sheet, "OR TokenID.cs Comparison, looks at all of the tokens in "TokenID.cs", the OR class file that contains all of the original list of tokens and parameters found and extracted from MSTS.
Not all of the tokens in TokenID.cs are used by OR. Some are retained as input parameters, some are used internally by the OR code and some (many) are not used at all by OR.
A second C# program was used to go through all 295123 lines of code in 553 files to look for the 1711 tokens in TokenID.cs (putting the tokens into a hashset resulted in a runtime of only about 30 seconds so that wasn't too painful).

I started by limiting the analysis to eng and wag file related parameters only but expanded the analysis sightly to include all of the parameters on the Coals to Newcastle site, namely some trk items related to tunnels and turntables. Cab file content, sound file content, activity file content, timetable content, etc. is not yet included. I'll probably add them when I'm reasonably sure I have this part more or less correct and complete. Note that a 100% inclusion of ALL external input parameters will increase the hit rate on the TokenID.cs list so for now take the "MSTS Only" results with a grain of salt. All lines in all files were parsed in the token search so in fact nothing was left out of the token analysis. But So you can be confident that any eng or wag file parameters that show up as "MSTS only" are well and truly not part of OR.

(Note that along with some formulas, much of the Excel data processing is done using vba code. The vba code is not included since it is only required if new C# generated .csv files are imported and need to be processed).

The version of OR analysed is indicated in the spreadsheet. Updating with a different ORTS version should now only take about 10 minutes or so.

For those of you who do not have Excel or Open Office, Google has an Online Excel viewer or you can download a free viewer from Microsoft. There is really no way to easily package this in a static (pdf) form, there is too much data and the ability to filter columns will aid greatly in trying to make sense of things.

Hope this is useful.

John

Edited text in original post

Attached File(s)

#27 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:50 PM

"Cab file content, sound file content, activity file content, timetable content, etc. is not yet included"

Anyone interested in seeing a complete parameter dump?

Any questions?

#28 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

It would be good to have this added to the OR handbook as appendices... and kept up to date as things are added or deleted.

#29 User is offline   RR1 

• Hostler

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

View Postdarwins, on 10 March 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

It would be good to have this added to the OR handbook as appendices... and kept up to date as things are added or deleted.

I would have a go but there doesn't appear to be any interest in this . . .

#30 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:17 AM

Well done with this.

View PostRR1, on 11 March 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

I would have a go but there doesn't appear to be any interest in this . . .

Don't 68 downloads (69 now) indicate considerable interest?

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users