• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double Engine Sounds Double the Engines, Double the Fun. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

I've been thinking about this, considering that there's now quite a few double-diesel locomotives in MSTS/OR.

How would you go about simulating a double-diesel engine sound, using sounds meant for single-engine locomotives?

#2 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

What do you mean by double diesel? Like two prime movers under one hood or two permanently coupled units?

The easiest way is to add another prime mover stream in the sms files, possibly offsetting the pitch range by a few Hz to make it phase in and out of the main sound.

#3 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

I would assume something like the big UP Centennials (DD35, 40, etc.), with two engines on the same frame. Multi-unit diesels of the kind the Russians are fond of (TE2, 3M62U, all the way up to the mighty 4TE10S) are a snap as each engine unit is on a separate frame, regularly (but not permanently) coupled together

#4 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

I just checked my old files and it's been so long ago I'd better take a good look at them to make sure what I did . I made my own cab with double gauges but I'm not sure how I did the Engine File and the sounds . It was the 44 ton I used for the LPS route . If and when I figure it out I'll get back to you but a quick look at the files didn't help .

#5 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

Sorry guys, when I said double-diesel, I meant double engined locomotives, like the E8s or EMD DDs. Not double units like the Russian Diesels mentioned above or FT A-B sets.

#6 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:09 AM

I just thought of an even simpler solution, it's not as elegant as the addition to the sms files but it works: Make an invisoloco and have it use the same sms files as the loco you want, it should rev up and down like your lead unit.

I think there's invisolocos or invisocars availible for download somewhere, they've been used for adding additional smoke fx and whatnot since the early days of MSTS.
If not availible, they're not difficult to create, you just need an invisible shape (could be anything with an alpha texture like a bush or tree), set the length to 0.1 and the speed and power output to 0.

#7 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:49 AM

Didn't SLI release a DD40 with double engine sounds?
Also I believe Paul Gausden released an E8 on his MSTSGMO site.

Steve

#8 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

I know there's a set of invisolocos somewhere on trainsim.

I came so close to typing invisolok like I was German or something

#9 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:37 PM

Thanx Jonatan !

I thought it was a 44 tonner I had done a long time ago but it was an EJE DT 6-6-2000 . I used a ghost and I relocated it in the back half of the loco . Seemed to work OK with MSTS - not sure about ORTS - might have to change location because of ORTS couplers . I'm quite sure that there were problems with the sound files .

Thanx for the " Ghost " reminder .

#10 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 April 2022 - 09:13 PM

There are some designs, in some countries (Britain, Germany, USSR) where two power units were installed on the same locomotive under single hood (as DD, IIRC, was equipped with two hoods on the same frame). Under "power unit" I mean prime-mover and transmission aggregated together.
These are diesel-electric Deltics of UK, German and russian diesel-hydraulic locomotives. In case of hydro-mechanical transmission, the reason to split power source was in limitations about size and weight of hydro-mechanical gearboxes, if the locomotive was intended to be over 1500hp. Hence two smaller aggregates were used instead of one huge one. In addition, these diesels were needed to be hi-speed, so smaller motors, adopted from navy-applications were usually taken.

The other case is gas-turbine powered locomotives, where turbo aggregate was turned on only when hauling trains, but during short runs as a light locomotive, or during shunting, small benzine or diesel motor produced power for movement. Else, diesel-generator for auxiliary needs might run all the time, providing electric power and, in some cases, compressed air, for such locomotive to work.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users