• You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails main folder registry entries Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DeMoN 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

Hello

I am a addon maker since 2004. After several years of break I returned to business ;)

I am using Install Creator Pro to create intallators for my addons. With MSTS was no problem to find registry entry to main folder (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/1.0).

But I can't find valid entry to OR main folder. I found "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenRails\ORTS" but it doesn't work. Could You help me?
Regards
Jarek

#2 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

View PostDeMoN, on 10 October 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

Hello

I am a addon maker since 2004. After several years of break I returned to business ;)

I am using Install Creator Pro to create intallators for my addons. With MSTS was no problem to find registry entry to main folder (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/1.0).

But I can't find valid entry to OR main folder. I found "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenRails\ORTS" but it doesn't work. Could You help me?
Regards
Jarek

what doesn't work? OR by default stores the settings in the key you just mentioned, the different mini routes are in the SubKey "Folders", so basically \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\OpenRails\ORTS\Folders.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, but who puts their routes there? Miniroutes have been in use for, oh, probably 15 years. What would be useful to the installer is the list of directories identified as content.

#4 User is offline   DeMoN 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:23 AM

View PostperpetualKid, on 10 October 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

what doesn't work? OR by default stores the settings in the key you just mentioned, the different mini routes are in the SubKey "Folders", so basically \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\OpenRails\ORTS\Folders.

As I said, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\OpenRails\ORTS\Folders, Installator doesn't read path to Open Rails main folder, all is blank. But HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/1.0 works fine, Intallator show path to MSTS main folder.

#5 User is offline   DeMoN 

• Apprentice

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:28 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 10 October 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Yeah, but who puts their routes there? Miniroutes have been in use for, oh, probably 15 years. What would be useful to the installer is the list of directories identified as content.

OK, that would be great, but what registry entry is correct?

How about default installation path of Open Rails (in Program Files (x86)? How many people installs OR there? I think, those who do not know about folders etc. Every else put OR in somewhere else.

#6 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:17 AM

Q: How about default installation path of Open Rails (in Program Files (x86)?

Reply: On installations with Win 7, Win 10, etc. it is not advisable NOT to install MSTS or anything related to it in any of the default folders created by the OS due to built-in restrictions. See the installation tutorial at steam4me.

I have many route installations on my pc, none of them are even on the C: drive. Most are in mini-routes.

Suggest you look at where OpenRails keeps it's "content" information stored. For users still in MSTS, seek out the train.exe file. This may require a search of the registry to locate all the directories.

Also, people have created empty files names with the name 'train.exe' just to enable utilities like route-riter into work.

#7 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

Hi DeMoN,
Why would you want a Registry entry to point to the location of the Open Rails folder? You've got, or can easily create, a Desktop icon to point to its location. Open Rails is merely a 'container' which can point to as many of your MSTS and ORTS installations as you want. It's also possible to have more than one version of Open Rails within your system and each will pick up the same 'profile' list (ie installations) because they are stored in the Registry.

By your 'addons', do you mean stock? If so, you can't add stock to Open Rails, you can only add it to an installation or profile. Unfortunately, the Open Rails Folders list in the Registry won't help because it uses user-generated names. If you know the route to which you want to add your stock, you could navigate through each of the folder paths until you find the route to want, then you'll have the path to the correct installation.

Cheers,
Ged

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users