Elvas Tower: F5 HUD scrolling. - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

F5 HUD scrolling. Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 08 November 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

Except we are back to the FPS being displayed against a more often than not very light background, which is about as close to illegible if that is what you want!

Hi Steve,

Not sure I follow ???

In the diesel pictures I posted above - IMG_1 and IMG_2 represent the two different HUD styles Mauricio already created - both have the tinted contrasting text - the visibility of both are - - - identical - - - you switch between the two HUD styles by simply clicking the little yellow square in the upper right of the HUD - it's a toggle...

FPS is already very clearly displayed in IMG_2 - I'm merely suggesting we keep it that way...

Am I missing your point ?

Regards,
Scott

#82 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

View Postscottb613, on 08 November 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

FPS is already very clearly displayed in IMG_2 - I'm merely suggesting we keep it that way...

Err...YOU ARE RIGHT! I was looking at the wrong IMG..there are so many now. So YES, let us keep the FPS display as per that IMG with the Feather River diesel! If that were also available for a Steam/Electric engine, sorry that is not clear at this point, I would say we are on the right track.

Sold!

Thanks,
Steve

#83 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

Hi Steve,

Great - I thought we had our wires crossed a bit... I think active discussion is a good thing and a crucial part of any design process... Thanks !

:drinks:

Regards,
Scott

#84 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:06 PM

Is the rolling stock information still in place such as the hp for the locomotives? I use this information whenever I have to make changes.

#85 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:06 AM

View Postedwardk, on 08 November 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

Is the rolling stock information still in place such as the HP for the locomotives?

The Extended HUD Locomotive information (Shift+F5) still untouched. The "Train Control info" window uses the <Ctrl+F5> key sequence.

scottb613 said:

But now I see "Cyan" on the "Steam Pressure [BOLS]" line ?

In a first time the idea was that the Boiler Pressure (BOLS) value changes its colour according to the boiler heat in/out balanced values. But it generates a conflict with the boiler pressure value colour. Therefore, a symbol has been placed at the left of Boiler pressure (BOLS) value, indicating if the heat in/out values are balanced or not. It's a proposal.

scottb613 said:

I don't recall seeing the Speed ever go "Red" during my tests even when grossly over speed…

About the "Speed" value colours, the code is quite different to the original F5 HUD. It uses a similar code as Train Monitor does about the speed limit. It seems more adjusted to the Train Driving info.

Eldorado.Railroad said:

Should it also have transparency settings? ...being able to perhaps BOLD the fonts also helps.

You know, that at this moment, only you could use the menu/options/video "Glass on in-game windows" checkbox, to toggle between transparent and solid colour.

About, to BOLD the fonts, better news, I added to testing, the "TIME" value is now clickable, to toggle between the Regular and Bold Font-Style. Once toggled, the Train-driving window and external Messages-window changes all them to Bold Font-Style.

Eldorado.Railroad said:

... Although I can grasp the economy of only using 4 character references

You are right, the localization could require more than 4 character references. That is why it is advisable to keep both windows options the "Full text" and "Abbreviated text", in case of doubt, you can change from one window to another by simply clicking the little yellow square in the upper right of the Train Driving window.

This update contains:
  • Added a new line for BLOC value "BC 70 psi" and turned the text "White"
  • Added “TIME value” as clickable to change from Regular font to Bold font.(requested by Steve)
  • Changed all references to “Red” colour by “OrangeRed” colour, it seems more visible.
  • Changed BDYN "value" colour to "Cyan".
  • Changed label "BENG" to "BLOC".
  • Manual Firing (Ctrl + F). Now it shows correctly.
  • New symbols at the left of the Boiler pressure (BOLS) as reference to heat input/output values.
  • "Quick Release" text not more abbreviated.
  • Removed the "Cyan" colour from ENGN value.
  • Removed the “TIME text” clickable.
  • Renamed BOLS to PRES and BOLW to WATR.
  • The FUEL value, changed the "C" and "W" to lowercase.

Attached is the new beta code aligned with the OR x1.3.1-99 Testing version.

09/11/2019. New update here.

Regards,
Mauricio

#86 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:14 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 09 November 2019 - 03:06 AM, said:

The Extended HUD Locomotive information (Shift+F5) still untouched. The "Train Control info" window uses the <Ctrl+F5> key sequence.

In a first time the idea was that the Boiler Pressure (BOLS) value changes its colour according to the boiler heat in/out balanced values. But it generates a conflict with the boiler pressure value colour. Therefore, a symbol has been placed at the left of Boiler pressure (BOLS) value, indicating if the heat in/out values are balanced or not. It's a proposal.

About the "Speed" value colours, the code is quite different to the original F5 HUD. It uses a similar code as Train Monitor does about the speed limit. It seems more adjusted to the Train Driving info.

You know, that at this moment, only you could use the menu/options/video "Glass on in-game windows" checkbox, to toggle between transparent and solid colour.

About, to BOLD the fonts, better news, I added to testing, the "TIME" value is now clickable, to toggle between the Regular and Bold Font-Style. Once toggled, the Train-driving window and external Messages-window changes all them to Bold Font-Style.

You are right, the localization could require more than 4 character references. That is why it is advisable to keep both windows options the "Full text" and "Abbreviated text", in case of doubt, you can change from one window to another by simply clicking the little yellow square in the upper right of the Train Driving window.

This update contains:
  • Added a new line for BLOC value "BC 70 psi" and turned the text "White"
  • Added “TIME value” as clickable to change from Regular font to Bold font.(requested by Steve)
  • Changed all references to “Red” colour by “OrangeRed” colour, it seems more visible.
  • Changed BDYN "value" colour to "Cyan".
  • Changed label "BENG" to "BLOC".
  • Manual Firing (Ctrl + F). Now it shows correctly.
  • New symbols at the left of the Boiler pressure (BOLS) as reference to heat input/output values.
  • "Quick Release" text not more abbreviated.
  • Removed the "Cyan" colour from ENGN value.
  • Removed the “TIME text” clickable.
  • Renamed BOLS to PRES and BOLW to WATR.
  • The FUEL value, changed the "C" and "W" to lowercase.

Attachment F5TrainDrivingWindow-x131-99-20191109.zip
Regards,
Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

SPOT ON - BROTHER !!!
:good:

I think we're just about there...

It's such a pleasure running your new HUD's - I truly loath leaving the "Testing" environment of ORTS when I have to switch back to the "Unstable" Monogame version of ORTS...

I invited the ORTS Steam Developers to take a look at the steam setup we have - as they're the real subject matter experts - hopefully we can get their insights related to this...

I don't have any "Electric" routes loaded - can someone who does check the HUD ?

I looked at "Geared Steam Locomotives" - - - issue noted below...

I looked at "Compound Steam Locomotives" - - - I don't see any changes needed on the HUD ?

How do we handle language translations ? Should we have a lookup table or something with abbreviations for each language ? If we had a user accessible lookup table - users could input whatever abbreviations they want - if they don't like ours - providing they fit the constraints defined in the HUD - e.g. four characters... That might be more trouble than it's worth and open doors to other problems ? I don't know...

MODS (very few):
  • I like how you handled the SAND (Sander) line with the latched arrow and orange text to indicate "sander on" - - - can you do the same with CCOC (Cylinder Cocks) as I often forget and leave them on...
  • I tried a "Geared" steam locomotive - and it adds a new value to the HUD called "Fixed Gear" - as you can see it's mangled on the abbreviated HUD - reference IMG_2 - suggested abbreviation "GEAR"....

IMG_1 - Abbreviated Steam
Attached Image: Steam.jpg

IMG_2 - Abbreviated Steam (Geared)
Attached Image: Geared.jpg

IMG_3 - Abbreviated Diesel
Attached Image: Diesel.jpg

:sign_thanks:

Regards,
Scott

#87 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

View Postscottb613, on 09 November 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

...Can you do the same with Cylinder Cocks as I often forget and leave them on...
..."Geared" steam locomotive new value to the HUD called "Fixed Gear" suggested abbreviation "GEAR"....

Hi Scoot,

The new update contains:
  • Added "Fixed gear" abbreviated to "GEAR".
  • Changed the "Cylinder cocks" value, colour, to "Orange" when "Open".
  • Modified the "SAND" text colour to stay always "White".

09/11/2019. New update here.

Regards,
Mauricio

#88 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:36 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 09 November 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

Hi Scoot,

The new update contains:
  • Added "Fixed gear" abbreviated to "GEAR".
  • Changed the "Cylinder cocks" value, colour, to "Orange" when "Open".
  • Modified the "SAND" text colour to stay always "White".

Attachment F5TrainDrivingWindow-x131-99-20191109-01.zip

Regards,
Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

Man - you work fast - sorry - last one...

I think you forgot the latching yellow arrows - like the Sander has - as displayed in IMG_1 - the arrows remain illuminated until the sander is turned off... I think that works best as an obvious reminder to turn them off...

And I'm done...

I'll leave it to the Steam Developers to comment on the indicators and what they think is needed in manual firing setup - hopefully we're close... They're actively discussing the manual firing procedures in a private chat - now - as we speak...

Seriously - thank you so much for all your hard work and having the patience to put up with my endless stream of suggestions - it really is most appreciated...

Once the steam guru's green light it - I think your HUD is ready for production...

IMG_1
Attached Image: Steam2.jpg

Regards,
Scott

#89 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

View Postscottb613, on 09 November 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

I think you forgot the latching yellow arrows - like the Sander has -

Hi Scoot,

With my keyboard, while the "Sand" key is pressed the "Sand" value is set to "On", once the key released it changes to "Off". The latching yellow arrows are display only while the key is pressed.
Maybe you are not using a keyboard. Am I wrong?

However, the functionality could be implemented for the "Cylinder cocks", once set to "Open", the latching yellow arrows would remain visible until the value change to "Closed".

Regards,
Mauricio

#90 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 09 November 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Hi Scoot,

With my keyboard, while the "Sand" key is pressed the "Sand" value is set to "On", once the key released it changes to "Off". The latching yellow arrows are display only while the key is pressed.
Maybe you are not using a keyboard. Am I wrong?

However, the functionality could be implemented for the "Cylinder cocks", once set to "Open", the latching yellow arrows would remain visible until the value change to "Closed".

Regards,
Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

Oh shoot - that's right - the sander is a little different that the cylinder cocks...

The sander has two ways to engage it - a simple [x] for momentary engagement - - - or - - - [shift x] to toggle it on until another [shift x] is pressed - I always use the [shift x] to use it - which is why we are seeing it differently...

If it's not too much of a coding issue - if the arrows were present until turned off ( which is how the sander works for me with [shift x] now ) - would be best... If it's a hassle we can live without it...

Thanks again !

Regards,
Scott

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users