• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another TSRE question... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

After several days of reading a variety of posts, and publish text about TSRE, I still cannot figure out if what is described here is possible with TSRE....."Another approach can be called "dig while covering up your tracks" through an existing mountain, illustrated in the next figure. It can be relatively efficient and quick. Its principle is to lay a track section into the mountain (see panel 1 of the figure) and adjust the terrain to it (by pressing F, see panel 2), thus digging a trench (don't save it!); then lay the next track section at the end of the trench (panel 2) and RESTORE the terrain (by pressing `) to recover the mountain(panel 3); next adjust the terrain to this latest track section (press F, panel 4), lay the next track section in the resulting trench (panel 4), and restore the mountain (press `, panel 5); continue like this (panel 6) until you emerge from the other side of the mountain. Remember to NOT save the result until you have completed the tunnel." Panels refer to attached image and I initially had started to replace MSTS RE commands with TSRE commands...

This excerpt is from Michael Vone's book.

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

Personally, I found the use of the quote-command to restore terrain tricky and unreliable.
I used the trick of digging through the mountain occasionaly, but I always used the following, much saver method :
  • Save all (relevant) terrain files
  • Lay track through the mountain as described above except the bit about restoring terrain using the quote command
    (note : you may have to edit the 'floor' value for the tile if you're very deep)
  • Save while moving along, including 'damaged' mountain.
  • When done, restore saved terrain files thus restoring the mountain.

This method is absolutely save, and can be used for TRSE and MSTS-RE.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:53 AM

Using Rob's approach is the only 100% reliable way to ensure you get the original terrain back. And it's easy.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users