• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monogame and Linux Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

I have an old vista machine that I was thinking about putting Zorin or centOS on the last time I tried this it was with Zorin 9 and wine wouldn't run OR because of an XNA problem. Has anyone got OR to work on WINE with the new Monogame version and if you have, how many hoops must you go through?

#2 User is offline   jonInMaine 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

I would be interested in this also. With Windows 7 approaching its end of support by Microsoft, I have to consider if I want to shell out for Win10 or consider a Linux distribution. Given that practically every application I use on my PC already has a Linux version (Open Office, browser, Thunderbird, etc.) OR would be the only holdout.

Jon

#3 User is offline   MMax 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:09 AM

View PostjonInMaine, on 01 January 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

I would be interested in this also. With Windows 7 approaching its end of support by Microsoft, I have to consider if I want to shell out for Win10 or consider a Linux distribution. Given that practically every application I use on my PC already has a Linux version (Open Office, browser, Thunderbird, etc.) OR would be the only holdout.

Jon

You could also configure your PC to dual boot, eg Windows 7 for OR (no internet connection/web browser to minimize virus risk) and Linux for everything else.
Windows 7 for the reason that it won't mess up your configuration every few months when Win10 decides it needs to upgrade.

Greetings

This post has been edited by MMax: 02 January 2020 - 02:09 AM

#4 User is offline   jdgremsjr 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR, TS2016

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:58 PM

View PostMMax, on 02 January 2020 - 02:09 AM, said:

You could also configure your PC to dual boot, eg Windows 7 for OR (no internet connection/web browser to minimize virus risk) and Linux for everything else.
Windows 7 for the reason that it won't mess up your configuration every few months when Win10 decides it needs to upgrade.

Greetings

I have the menu running on Zorin in my VMware using WINE but I get getting an error about the Video Card compatibility when the route loads. I'm curious if it is a VM problem or a Linux problem, the machine I'm running has an ATI 530 graphics card with 4gig of DDR5 dedicated to the video card. It runs fine on windows 10. I know it should work, but not sure if it is WINE or the VM? Anyone out there a little more knowledgable about this than me? Right now I'm just playing but would like to see if I can get one of my older machines to run it.

#5 User is offline   MMax 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

View Postjdgremsjr, on 02 January 2020 - 04:58 PM, said:

I have the menu running on Zorin in my VMware using WINE but I get getting an error about the Video Card compatibility when the route loads. I'm curious if it is a VM problem or a Linux problem, the machine I'm running has an ATI 530 graphics card with 4gig of DDR5 dedicated to the video card. It runs fine on windows 10. I know it should work, but not sure if it is WINE or the VM? Anyone out there a little more knowledgable about this than me? Right now I'm just playing but would like to see if I can get one of my older machines to run it.

It could be both - in virtual machines, often not the full graphics power is available.
Plus OR (at least on my computer) still asks for XNA 3.5 which isn't supported by wine.

Greetings

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users