• You cannot reply to this topic

a couple about TSRE5 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

Hi Steve,
That works! That sounds like a very safe way to lay track.
I never thought of doing that and it would have saved me some problems I had while reworking the PRR where I did mistakenly move a track section without removing it first from the database.
http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif

regards,
vince

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:15 PM

View PostAmtrak115, on 19 September 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

..and spending any on keeping compatibility with MSTS is a wasted effort, in my opinion.
Barry

Yes and no. Qdirection is an excellent way to mathematically represent a directional vector and there is no reason to depart from it. As to why both KUJU's RE and the Object Rotator object to 4 negative values in Qdirection() is something i don't know. That said, if it was only KUJU's RE that could not deal with what TSRE occasionally writes, well, IMO no big deal. OTOH the the object Rotater spreadsheet does things for the route builder that no other software I've seen do: tell you the value of the directional vector between any two points in one or a pair of world files. It'll also tell you the distance between those two points. I've tweeked my copy so I can record the location of one item and it will generate a dozen more instances, each a specified distance apart. Just copy/paste into teh world file. This is an essential feature for any situation where you have a long tangential line of anything... track, road, poles, whatever. TSRE could do these things do... I suggested it on more than one occasion but nothing has come of it. Ok then... don't let the TSRE value of Qdirection() be different than what KUJU's RE would have generated.

As for the second item, .tdb and .rdb; Both are replaceable as far as I am concerned so long as the replacement includes software that will enforce the referential integrity that exists between those files, the world files, and anything else that holds the data for various intereactives. Far too many routes were destroyed over the years from the lack of referential integrity, allowing the editor to remove a shape w/o regard to the consequences in other files. In the meanwhile, while we wait for something better, it is pretty important not to slip into a state of affairs more risky than what we used to work in, so something is needed to rebuild those files as needed. That's the concern, not the future of the files themselves.

#13 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

View Postvince, on 19 September 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

That works! That sounds like a very safe way to lay track.
I never thought of doing that and it would have saved me some problems I had while reworking the PRR where I did mistakenly move a track section without removing it first from the database.

Never use this method. It is very unsafe. You can easily lost data integrity between TDB and W files.

#14 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostGoku, on 20 September 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

Never use this method. It is very unsafe. You can easily lost data integrity between TDB and W files.

Just to Clarify, your talking about the Process of setting the writeTDB=false, laying track, then exiting TSRE, then setting writetdb=true, then opening TSRE and clicking on the track segments and hitting Z to add to the TDB, correct??

Barry

#15 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

Another Dynamic Track question. I had created a siding and was working backwards from the far end of the sideing back to the start. A 10 meter section of track was less than a meter to short. so I used a piece of Dynamic track to "close the gap", This was a straight piece that I estimated was 10.7 meters to close. Track went down fine, however when I went to add to TDB, (Pressing Z) TSRE Crashes. I tried a couple of times but it crashed every time. I went back into TSRE, Deleted the dynamic track and laid it again...except this time I was directly over the gap looking down on it, and a 10.6 meter piece seem to close the gap. Hit Z and everything was fine, so the assumption on my part was the dynamic track "overlayed" another piece and that caused TSRE to Crash....Correct?

thanks for the info again

Barry

#16 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

when I went to add to TDB, (Pressing Z) TSRE Crashes.
Happened to me a few times.
What I did ( in manual add-to TDB) was first save the shape only, no yellow tdb line, then re-select, press Z, de-select and then save.
I recall it worked most of the time. I too had the problem with short straight sections, which were pretty much the only use I had for DT.
Re-loading the route into TSRE worked also.
This lead me to suspect it was something to do with what mode the editor was in when the save was executed; Select, PlaceNew, or Terrain or or or . . . .what?

I never had a chance to try and isolate the bug and didn't think it was good diagnostic procedure to test on a route, the PRR, which has/had a really effed up set of database files!
There were over a thousand errors when Chuck and I began tearing into it two years ago.

So it could be any number of causes and we need to nail it to give Goku something to work with. Keep notes on fail mode ect. I'm sure you'll turn up something
I had an absolutely wonderful time with it and the PRR. Could not have done it with the MSTS editor.

regard,
vince

#17 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:55 AM

Having a MODE INDICATOR "LED" would be great in the GUI.

#18 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 27 October 2023 - 06:56 AM

Has anyone noticed that there is no more data from the Z17 and Z18 modes from the mapbox API?

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 27 October 2023 - 11:06 AM

View Postpwillard, on 25 September 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

Having a MODE INDICATOR "LED" would be great in the GUI.

Having a completely different UI would be great.

Anyone here use SU? Want to select something? Click on the select icon first. Move something? Click on the move icon first. Rotate an object? Click on the rotate object icon first. Rotate the camera? Click on that icon first. These are all in a floating toolbar.

It may sound like a PITA but what it buys you is that you will never accidentally relocate objects, such as track unless you've first clicked on the move icon. In TSRE you can do that in select mode... when the track is out of sight... and you move it under a large building, to be found only in the contributed track viewer program.

This method also enables context sensitive right mouse clicking specific to each of those functions. For instance,. in terrain editing, a right mouse click to select which selection polygon to use - circle, square, rectangle, freeform, then for the first 3 choices, type in the dimensions. When you want to rotate an object you see the cursor change to a compass which you can move to whatever location you want to rotate around, start a turn and finish by thing the number of degrees. Move stuff? Again, use the context specific cursor, start a move, type in the distance. You don't need data entry fields everywhere, a small field along the bottom edge can be good for all because you already selected the function -- the program knows what to do with whatever you've typed.

Not having a scrolling list of textures to use while painting is a big problem.

Terrain editing? Sorry, a circle you loft or depress is fine in an imaginary world... when you are not working with real DEM data. Who isn't using DEM data in their routes?

Yes, in many ways it's better than the MSTS editor. That said, IMO he didn't know what to do w/ the UI and it shows.

#20 User is offline   Kapitaen13 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 27 October 2023 - 10:46 PM

View PostAldarion, on 27 October 2023 - 06:56 AM, said:

Has anyone noticed that there is no more data from the Z17 and Z18 modes from the mapbox API?

TSRE5 Mapbox Issue

The zoom has changed and must be entered manually.
Standard Terrain
Raster Image Z18 =17
Raster Image Z17 =16
Distance Terrain
Raster Image Z18 =13
Raster Image Z17 =12
Example: Standard Terrain Raster Image Z18 =17
imageMapsUrl = https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/satellite-v9/static/{lon},{lat},17/{res}x{res}?access_token=

+YOUR_MAPBOX_ACCESS_TOKEN

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users