Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone using Blender 2.8 yet for MSTS models? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:24 AM

I haven't heard much since I released the Blender 2.8 to MSTS exporter. Has anyone made the transition to 2.8 yet? How is it going? Maybe no news is good news.

Wayne

#2 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

Short Answer:
Not yet!

Long Answer:
I discover new things about Blender almost everyday. I use it as a bridge to import/edit/export in .obj format. I know that the XP version of Blender works, because I had to modify Python code to get the importer/exporter to behave the way I want. I still use 3DCanvas/3DCrafter to export the model.

I have used the Blender 2.7x in Windows 7, but I have not dared tinker with the importer/exporter that I modified for WinXP to work in Blender 2.7x. Blender 2.8 is not even on my radar yet. I always assume that there is one more bug in a "new" release before I can even consider it.

IMHO, I think this site needs a lot more rather complex examples, including animations, that use the Blender format before more people will "bite the bullet". It is a chicken and egg problem. I am concerned with results, and it has taken some years to get a handle on Blender, and think the Blender "way". This is not as easy as it sounds, nor do I intend it to be.

You are living on the cutting edge, and this world needs people like you to do it. I have always been a practical person, and I loath wasting many hours only to find out that what I thought would work does not. Having a bunch of (complexe) examples to work with would go a very long way to paving the understanding to make the transition.

Thank you for all you very hard work,
Steve

#3 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

Hi Wayne,

I transitioned to 2.8 when you released your exporter.

I believe that 2.8 will be easier for budding new 3D modellers to learn, as well as those transitioning from other 3D modelling programs. Those wishing to learn Blender will find not shortage of tutorials on you tube and elsewhere to assist them.

As more schools around the world adopt Blender in their computing courses there will be an increase in potential modellers that may desire to develop content for train simulations.

Once again thanks for your work on the exporter.

Cheers,

Marek.

#4 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

Hiii Wayne... First of all thanks for new exporter.. :sign_thanks:

I am currently in middle of a project that I started in 2.79 so I waiting for that project to be finished. I would be definitely using 2.80 for my next project :sweatingbullets:

#5 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:08 AM

Wayne,

First of all, many thanks for the exporters both 2.7 and 2.8. Without them, I would have probably left MSTS/OR modeling as TSM just couldn't do what I wanted to do without a lot of workarounds. Once finished with a couple of models started in 2.7, I will transition to 2.8.

#6 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I have not fully made the transition myself. The Blender to MSTS community is pretty small, and the Blender 2.8 segment smaller still. Real estate agents would say 'exclusive' - ha ha.

W

#7 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:56 AM

Wayne,

As the others have expressed, can't thank you enough for your exporter. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif I have used it for so many models I have lost count. And it does such an excellent job.

I downloaded 2.8 and your exporter but have not installed them. It took me years to finally commit to using Blender after installing it and removing it multiple times. It was hard at first but now I do so love the program and am ever glad I made the commitment. Now that I have finally become comfortable with it I hate to give up the familiarity and to start learning a new GUI. I suppose sooner or later it will happen. I also export content to Trainz/TANE and I am curious about PBR textures.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif, Again!

Paul http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

#8 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:31 AM

I'm working on LEARNING 2.8 and unlearning 2.79.

I'm getting ready to export... but haven't done it yet.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users