Elvas Tower: Cab Views (cvf files) - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cab Views (cvf files) What is currently possible? Can I get a reservoir pipe dial? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:44 AM

It seems a bit of a challenge to find what is available and what is not (yet) available for inclusion in cab views, either the 2-D kind or 3-D.
Eng and Wag files are fairly well covered, from times past by Rudolf Richter's guide and more recently by having a comprehensive listing of parameters on the Coals to Newcastle website.
I can not seem to find a complete list of items that can be included in cvf files anywhere. Does one exist? Can anyone point me towards it?
At the present moment in time I am trying to update some files for modern diesel and electric locomotives. Those with twin pipe air brakes should have a Reservoir Pipe dial. (Usually in UK a split dial for M.R. and M.R.Pipe.) How do I get the reservoir pipe display? The data is there in the extended HuD so should be available for the cab view.
There are other cases of data available that could be read into cab view dials. For example with early superheated steam locos they often had a pyrometer in the superheater header and a dial in the cab showing the superheat temperature. This is available in the extended HuD but again I am not sure if it can be put into a cab view dial.
There are also some historical anomalies that seem to have survived from MSTS - we have front dampers on steam but no rear dampers. Also we can now have a mechanical stoker, but I am not sure we have any controls for it.
I have started a list of cab view features that I am aware of. Please add to the list and hopefully someone somewhere will be them together to give a more comprehensive description.

Controls

BELL
BLOWER
CAB_RADIO
CP_HANDLE
CUTOFF
CYL_COCKS
DAMPERS_FRONT
DIRECTION
DYNAMIC_BRAKE
ENGINE_BRAKE
ENGINE_BRAKING_BUTTON
EMERGENCY_BRAKE
EQ_RES
FIREHOLE
FRONT_HLIGHT
FUEL_GAUGE
GEARS
MAIN_RES
MIRRORS
ORTS_CABLIGHT
ORTS_HELPERS_DIESEL_ENGINES
ORTS_LEFTDOOR
ORTS_MIRRORS
ORTS_PLAYER_DIESEL_ENGINE
ORTS_PLAYER_DIESEL_ENGINE_STARTER
ORTS_PLAYER_DIESEL_ENGINE_STOPPER
ORTS_RIGHTDOOR
ORTS_SMALL_EJECTOR
PANTOGRAPH
REGULATOR
RESET
SANDERS
SMALL_EJECTOR
STEAM_INJ1
STEAM_INJ2
TRAIN_BRAKE
VACUUM_RESERVOIR_PRESSURE
WATER_INJECTOR1
WATER_INJECTOR2
WIPERS
WHISTLE

Dials, Gauges & c
ALERTER_DISPLAY
AMMETER
ASPECT_DISPLAY
BOILER_WATER
BRAKE_CYL
BRAKE_PIPE
CLOCK
CPH_DISPLAY
DYNAMIC_BRAKE_DISPLAY
FRICTION_BRAKING
HORN
LINE_VOLTAGE
LOAD_METER
ORTS_DIESEL_TEMPERATURE
ORTS_OIL_PRESSURE
ORTS_PLAYER_DIESEL_ENGINE_STATE
OVERSPEED
PANTO_DISPLAY
PENALTY_APP
REVERSER_PLATE
SANDING
SPEEDLIM_DISPLAY
SPEEDOMETER
STEAM_PR
STEAMCHEST_PR
STEAMHEAT_PRESSURE
TENDER_WATER
THROTTLE
TRACTION_BRAKING
WHEELSLIP

Fire:
FIREBOX

#2 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:22 AM

Allright, should have thought that through... MR pipe at the front of the train is not going to differ sufficiently from MR to make any difference. Both gauges now set as Main_Res.

Regardless of that we do need an index of things that are possible in cab views.

#3 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:18 AM

ORTS_CABLIGHT

AFAIK, this parameter doesn't seem to work in 3d cab, so you should remove it.... :sweatingbullets:

#4 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:50 AM

Thanks Hamza.
Is there any gauge I am wondering for Notch or Power? - some ac electric locos had a Notch Indicator - labelled as a Motor Notch Indicator - so I it would read zero if the pantograph was down or the direction was neutral - and otherwise show the notch, which at present in OR is the same as throttle since we do not have a run up / run down tap changer throttle.
Things like this I am finding need multiple overlays:
The background scale
The needle or pointer that shows the notch
Overlay of the scale to show zero if throttle is moved but pantograph is down
Overlay of the scale to show zero if throttle is moved but not in either forward or reverse
Similar issues with trying to show resistance lamps for dc locos.

#5 User is offline   Kapitaen13 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:29 AM

From MSTS i miss one parameter:

ACCELEROMETER

#6 User is offline   mrmosky 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Openrails

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:39 AM

Hi Darwin,

I think that what you are asking for is needed especially for 3d cabs. A lot of the cvf file entries do not apply to 3d instruments, but some do.

For instance, a throttle may have 16 animation steps, but when defined in the cvf file, the throttle needs to have NumPositions defined (16) or it won't work. However, you don't need to specify what the 16 positions mean.

What would be great would be if there were user defined displays, using whatever is displayed in the HUD. So I could define a power gauge by taking amps and multiplying by the voltage, for instance. And I could have a Boolean such that if the panto was down, it would be zero.

Geoff

#7 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Hamza.
Is there any gauge I am wondering for Notch or Power? - some ac electric locos had a Notch Indicator - labelled as a Motor Notch Indicator - so I it would read zero if the pantograph was down or the direction was neutral - and otherwise show the notch, which at present in OR is the same as throttle since we do not have a run up / run down tap changer throttle.

If I understood properly what you mean, then you can use parameter "THROTTLE_DISPLAY", which incidentally is missing from your list too.... :)

#8 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:46 AM

Thanks again. THROTTLE_DISPLAY seems like what I needed.
Now I am back to my original question, and another air brake question too. Reading this document (Section 10.1.2 and 10.1.3) it is clear that MRpipe should not be the same pressure as MR.
Main Reservoir charges up to 140 psi (with compressor cutting in at 118 psi).
Main Reservoir pipe is fed through a reducing valve and has a maximum pressure of 100 psi.
So now two problems,
(1) How to get the MR pipe to have a lower pressure than the Main Reservoir
(2) How to get the MR pipe pressure displayed on a gauge in the cab

#9 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

View Postdarwins, on 31 August 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

Thanks again. THROTTLE_DISPLAY seems like what I needed.
Now I am back to my original question, and another air brake question too. Reading this document (Section 10.1.2 and 10.1.3) it is clear that MRpipe should not be the same pressure as MR.
Main Reservoir charges up to 140 psi (with compressor cutting in at 118 psi).
Main Reservoir pipe is fed through a reducing valve and has a maximum pressure of 100 psi.
So now two problems,
(1) How to get the MR pipe to have a lower pressure than the Main Reservoir
(2) How to get the MR pipe pressure displayed on a gauge in the cab

The 140psi for the tank and 100 psi for the pipe, only applied on certain engines and stock. Mostly all earlier BR locos had the same pressure for both, as did all BR slamdoor EMUs. The Class 33 and 73 also had the same pressure.

For the locos that I use in OR that have a 140 PSI tank and 100 PSI pipe. I have the MR needle reading between 118 and 140 PSI, and a second MR needle adjusted for a maximum pressure of 100 PSI. True this needle does fall in pressure, but you can have the two MR needles on the same gauge. Or you can make the 2nd MR needle static at 100 psi so it doesn't move at all.

Thanks

#10 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:10 AM

For the locos that I use in OR that have a 140 PSI tank and 100 PSI pipe. I have the MR needle reading between 118 and 140 PSI, and a second MR needle adjusted for a maximum pressure of 100 PSI.

I will take that approach to begin with.
It is fiddling things in the same way that we used to fiddle things in MSTS when they did not work as required.
I was hoping that Open Rails would provide an escape from the extensive use of "workarounds" by providing correct values for parameters.
Perhaps that is in the future somewhere http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users