• You cannot reply to this topic

No horn? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Hello there!

It has been a very long time without opening Open Rails and yesterday I wanted to take the dust out of it a bit and started to play again, I'm having quite the problem when it comes to some certain sounds, for instance, this pack of sound are the ones that I use for the 433 series from RENFE, I think all sounds work good but the horn, which doesn't sound at all, could someone give me a hand?

https://we.tl/t-jee2tplukq

These are the sounds, I've just modified the name, I tried to search for the originals too, I found ones very similar from an old Z 23000 model, but aren't those...

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

Hi Guille592,
It depends on which .sms file you are using.
Only r433cab - copia.sms and r433eng - copia.sms contain calls to the horn .wav file. Also, if aliasing to the .sms files from your .eng file, the path to the filename must be in quotes because it contains spaces.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Ged

#3 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

View Postslipperman, on 20 August 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

Hi Guille592,
It depends on which .sms file you are using.
Only r433cab - copia.sms and r433eng - copia.sms contain calls to the horn .wav file. Also, if aliasing to the .sms files from your .eng file, the path to the filename must be in quotes because it contains spaces.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Ged

There is a file called "horn", but I'm trying to use "sifflet.wav", which is referenced in the files without "copia". The text in the .eng file looks like this "Sound ( "r433eng.sms" )", is I said, only the horn/whistle can't be heard, everything else, works fine.

Thanks slipperman!

#4 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

In essence, the problem is a filing problem. The .eng file calls the .sms file for sounds and the .sms file calls the individual .wav files including one for the horn. If what the .sms file says is not where the file is, then no sound.

You should be able to look at the .sms file in a text viewer and find the reference to the .wav file providing the horn. It will show the path unless it expects to find it within the same folder that holds the .sms file. Then go to that folder and see if the file is in fact there. You may see it is slightly mis-named. Or not there. If not there, you can search for it on your system (For search I use a handy free download called "Everything"). It may be that the file is present somewhere else on your system and you can move or copy it into the location the .sms file expects it. If you don't have that .wave file on your system at all, you'll have to go off and search the internet to find it. Or find a substitute and change the .sms file to point towards it (keeping in mind the correct folder location).

Christopher

#5 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:11 AM

View Postconductorchris, on 20 August 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

In essence, the problem is a filing problem. The .eng file calls the .sms file for sounds and the .sms file calls the individual .wav files including one for the horn. If what the .sms file says is not where the file is, then no sound.

You should be able to look at the .sms file in a text viewer and find the reference to the .wav file providing the horn. It will show the path unless it expects to find it within the same folder that holds the .sms file. Then go to that folder and see if the file is in fact there. You may see it is slightly mis-named. Or not there. If not there, you can search for it on your system (For search I use a handy free download called "Everything"). It may be that the file is present somewhere else on your system and you can move or copy it into the location the .sms file expects it. If you don't have that .wave file on your system at all, you'll have to go off and search the internet to find it. Or find a substitute and change the .sms file to point towards it (keeping in mind the correct folder location).

Christopher

The thing is that I have the sound as follows, and yes, the file is in its place too. :sweatingbullets:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Sound.JPG

#6 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:15 AM

Hi,
Thanks, Chris :)

File sifflet.wav is called from the r433eng.sms file, so you should hear it in external views when you press the space-bar. However, r433cab.sms is incorrectly formatted in that it has no 'Streams ( xx ' line and the first stream has no 'Stream ( x ' line. The call to sifflet.wav is in the second stream, which is correctly formed, but the whole .sms file is never actioned.

Edit the r433cab.sms file and insert two separate lines : Streams ( 16 and Stream ( before the first 'Volume' line so that the first part of the file looks like this :

Tr_SMS (
ScalabiltyGroup( 5
Activation (
CabCam ()
Distance (20)
)
Deactivation (
ExternalCam ()
PassengerCam ()
Distance (20)
)
Stereo ()
Streams ( 16
Stream (
Volume (0.4)
Triggers ( 5
Skip ( ********************* Z23CAB.SMS ****************)
Skip ( programmé par Belphegor - Modifié par François CARDON)

Cheers,
Ged

#7 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:16 AM

View Postslipperman, on 21 August 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

Hi,
Thanks, Chris :)

File sifflet.wav is called from the r433eng.sms file, so you should hear it in external views when you press the space-bar. However, r433cab.sms is incorrectly formatted in that it has no 'Streams ( xx ' line and the first stream has no 'Stream ( x ' line. The call to sifflet.wav is in the second stream, which is correctly formed, but the whole .sms file is never actioned.

Edit the r433cab.sms file and insert two separate lines : Streams ( 16 and Stream ( before the first 'Volume' line so that the first part of the file looks like this :

Cheers,
Ged

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuup! :sweatingbullets:

That's just right after adding the lines, pressing spacebar aaaaaand, I'm out. :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys! Let's see if we can sort this out! :sweatingbullets:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SoundII.JPG

#8 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:09 AM

Hi Guille592,
Although it isn't the cause of the Open Rails error you posted, file r433eng.sms does contain one error, which means that sifflet.wav isn't heard when outside the cab!

The first 'Stream' has no close bracket - one must be inserted before the second 'Stream' line.

In reality, the 'StartLoop (' of the last 'Variable_Trigger' is missing its close bracket, but it seemed simpler to describe it this way! It doesn't affect how the file works.

Cheers,
Ged

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Sound-fix2.jpg

#9 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

Cheeers Ged, with the solution for the .cab file and now the .eng file, I have both (inside and external) sounds working now, I'm really a noob modifying whatever is related with programming (even if it's just a bit) :sweatingbullets:

Thanks again! :sign_thanks:

Guillermo.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users