• You cannot reply to this topic

Where to start? Open Rails Monogame FPS is 5-10 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

Hmmm...

So I got a new computer, a Dell XPS 15 9575 2 in 1. It's got good specs: big SSD drive, 16gb memory, 6 core fast processor. Graphics card I think is an AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL. Took a long time to set everything up (and I'm still not completely done). I installed the Open rails monogame version (release 31 - not the latest, but recent). I was really looking forward to open rails running so smoothly. Really. Instead, jittery molasses and a FPS of between 5 and 10.

I suppose there could be many things, but where would you start in trying to figure out why such dismal performance?

I haven't tried the regular open rails build on this machine yet.

And then a little ways in one of the tests, I got this error, which I don't know how to interpret:
Attached Image: 2019-08-17 16_08_39-Open Rails NewYear MG (unofficial)1.3.1-72 Rev. 31..jpg

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

Another DirectX problem in this thread, maybe unrelated...I have no experience with DirectX.

http://www.elvastowe...786#entry245786

#3 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

Re: DirectX. Not all video cards support DX. Run DXDiag and see if it gives and clues. Might also run one of many PC inventory utilities, SPEECY comes to mind and from the video info, look up the specs to see if DirectX is supported.

Other thing...
-check what's running in the background
-if there is an av, see if it's checking the OR files. Tell it to exclude OR
-some laptops have two gpu's. Be sure that you are not using the mobo one

#4 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:58 PM

Thanks, Gerry and Craig.

DXDiag says everything running fine. It's DirectX version 12. Is that the right one or do I need to install an older one? Not much running in the background. The graphics are integrated, but with a full separate AMD graphics card built into the motherboard (ie, not the intel version that uses the GPU which I don't believe is an option).

I'm running a HD screen (no problem on open rails) and it has support for a pen.

Could be the virus program. The computer came with McAffee which would not be my choice. But I decided to leave it alone for now. I googled up how to turn off checking of specific applications . . . but what is on my machine has nothing to do with what the instructions describe. Everything describes the McAfee VirusScan console - but that is not on my system. I'm going to have to solve this later when it isn't so close to bedtime!

Christopher

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

Well I did turn off real time scanning (bedtime be dammed) but it did not solve the problem. 8 FPS on the Cape Cod route

#6 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:47 PM

View Postconductorchris, on 17 August 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

Thanks, Gerry and Craig.

DXDiag says everything running fine. It's DirectX version 12. Is that the right one or do I need to install an older one? Not much running in the background. The graphics are integrated, but with a full separate AMD graphics card built into the motherboard (ie, not the intel version that uses the GPU which I don't believe is an option).

I'm running a HD screen (no problem on open rails) and it has support for a pen.

Could be the virus program. The computer came with McAffee which would not be my choice. But I decided to leave it alone for now. I googled up how to turn off checking of specific applications . . . but what is on my machine has nothing to do with what the instructions describe. Everything describes the McAfee VirusScan console - but that is not on my system. I'm going to have to solve this later when it isn't so close to bedtime!

Christopher

it may well be that OR is using the internal graphics, if this is still enabled and set as default GPU. The 8FPS sound like an Intel GPU with FHD display...

couple things to check:
- is the internal GPU still enabled? Either see in device manager under display adapter, if one or both are listed. Or use Task Manager (assuming you are on W10), and on the performance tab, it should list GPU0 and GPU1 if both are enabled, else there is only one.
- if both GPU are enabled, there may be some (AMD) control center to either force the AMD GPU as default always, or you can set application specific to run OR on the AMD by default.
- although I doubt that much impact of the AV; I'd still remove McAfee and opt for the Windows Defender, but thats just imho

#7 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

Indeed there is both the internal intel graphics and the AMD graphics.
I disabled the intel graphics and was unable to get Open Rails to start - on four different routes it crashed right when it was poised to open the route.
Then I re-enabled the Intel graphics and went in and set the app settings for Open Rails to use "Maximum Performance", which means to use the AMD card. It did not seem to make a difference: FPS of 4 coming out of Atlantic City on the Blue Comet route and the Cape Cod route improved from FPS of 8 to FPS of 10. Not good.
I don't seem to have an AMD control center. I went looking for one to download but didn't because it had dramatically poor reviews.
I agree about McAfee; I don't like having that on my system. It won't last.

I'm going to download the Open Rails testing version and see how that does.

Christopher

#8 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

I did download the testing version and it was faster: 10-21 FPS on the Blue Comet route. Still slow.

Then I looked at the task manager and clicked the "processes" tab and confirmed: only the intel graphics are running. This is after specifically setting this app to be "high performance and setting the plugged in settings to "high performance."

A quick google shows this is a troublesome issue that is not only mine. Hmmmm . . .

Christopher

#9 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

Have you tried to optimize OR? I mean check the fps setting, view distance, etc.

#10 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

Laptops with Nvidia GPU + Intel graphics have a right-click menu item which appears when you right-click on .exe files. Right-click on .exe > Run with graphics processor > [more selections to pick GPU or set default]. Does the AMD setup also offer this or something similar? If so, you might be able to use it to set "runactivityLAA.exe" to use the AMD graphics.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users