• You cannot reply to this topic

The object list Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:44 PM

It's nice that the object list is long but for me the style (long list of potential objects, short list of recently used objects) is actually the opposite of what I prefer (a short list of potential objects, long list of recently used objects).

That is subjective of course... I'm sure other people like the way it is.

Could the two lists be made expandable within the allotted space? In this way everybody "can have it their way" and do so dynamically... expanding and contracting the pair of lists as needed where the total number of visible lines remains the same.

Something similar for the "picked" texture list would be a great help as well. This could also be improved by not allowing multiple selections / icon displays of the same texture.

#2 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

• Senior Foreman of Engines
  • Group: Status: Senior Foreman, Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS-V1.5.1

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

It's a matter of personal preference.
Making list length selectable would serve both sides.

As long as I can find the Object(s) that I want to place, list length duzzent matter.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

Some years back I edited the .dll's for KUJU's RE and lengthened the list so it looks just as Goku has done in his editor. Worked fine but I found I kept losing items off the recently used list that I needed to place. So I went back and made the ref file list much shorter and lengthened the recently used list. It worked much,. much better, especially for track where you are using thr same few track switches, the same long tangents, etc. With a longer recently used list your favorites are just not has likely to drop off as they do with a short list.

Yeah, it's subjective, which is why my request was to make both lists grow and shrink as the user wants. My hunch is that over time people will have a shorter and shorter ref file list.

I suppose another way do doing things is to have both lists rather long but only display a portion of each. The scroll bar takes you to the rest.

#4 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:18 AM

I would be happy if the list only showed the items you used and not all of the ones you click on to look at.
It doesn't take long looking at potential track pieces to fill the list and push the ones you use off the end.
Separate breakout windows for all of the object, terrain and property side bars would be a welcome development also.
Since Goku released TSRE into the wild I'm surprised someone hasen't taken the ball and run with it.

Steve

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

View Poststeved, on 23 July 2019 - 06:18 AM, said:

Since Goku released TSRE into the wild I'm surprised someone hasen't taken the ball and run with it.

Steve

The OR team mentioned one issue: They code in C# and Goku used C++. Apparently the differences are a bit tricky\, esp. for non-professionals (like most of the OR team).

Goku's license is Open Source so if anyone wanted to fork it and continue on a different path they could.

#6 User is offline   pwillard 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:27 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 23 July 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

The OR team mentioned one issue: They code in C# and Goku used C++. Apparently the differences are a bit tricky\, esp. for non-professionals (like most of the OR team).

Goku's license is Open Source so if anyone wanted to fork it and continue on a different path they could.

"Opinion:"

I applaud the use of C++ over C#. While I know solutions like Mono exist for C# coding on Linux... I would have much preferred a world where migration to the Linux platform would have been within the realm of "SANE" for ORTS. ORTS being done in C# likely means it could never have a Linux option.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users