• You cannot reply to this topic

F16 8F Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   tary5 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:01 AM

Hi Darwin
Thank you for your detailed reply and the engine file you have posted. I do appreciate the time and effort that you have put in your reply.
The .eng file that I had put together was written about eight months ago and seemed to give better results than the one that I was using at the time ie: the original MSTS file. Anyway plenty in your reply for me to be working with for a while. Once again many thanks
cheers for now
Terry W.

#12 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:28 AM

Hey guys, a couple of dumb questions:

1. What is the difference between a .eng file and a #.eng file? Which should I edit to convert brakes?

2. If the file says the brake type is 'triple-valve', is this an airbrake thing or does it apply to vacuum as well?

I have one diesel file whose brakes work and I am thinking of doing a compare-and-change with those that don't work.

#13 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:47 AM

1. # files are used in UK for AI locomotives (ones that players can not drive) - although useful in MSTS such locos are not often necessary in OR. In France they use a different naming system for AI locos. Suggest you stick to the regular .eng files.

2. triple valves are not part of vacuum brake systems.

Sounds like a good idea to copy things from the working file.

#14 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman

Posted 08 May 2020 - 01:33 AM

View Postdarwins, on 06 May 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

Sounds like a good idea to copy things from the working file.

Thanks. I tried several times but failed, producing a loco that would move but then wouldn't stop! I looked in the download section but most of the stuff there is US air-braked. Has anybody got a working eng file for a British heritage vacuum-braked diesel that they are prepared to share so I can modify from solid ground?

#15 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 May 2020 - 01:56 AM

Here are two examples for you.

The Class 28 has the type of vacuum brakes that all the early diesels had - that is vacuum train brakes only.

BrakesTrainBrakeType( Vacuum_single_pipe )

The Class 40 has the later type of vacuum brakes used on dual braked locos - those that were built with both vacuum and air brakes or those built with vacuum brakes that had air brakes added.
BrakesTrainBrakeType( Vacuum_single_pipe_eq )

Attached File(s)

#16 User is offline   tary5 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:59 AM

Hi Beresford

I cannot add any thing more to to Darwin.s comments with regard to AI Locos and Triple Valves. I have also attached a folder containing .eng files for a class 24 Vacuum Braked Diesel. In it you will find MSTS and OR versions plus AI .eng files also. The AI requirement in MSTS is, I believe, an historic feature of MSTS to remove cabviews and cab.sms sound files thereby reducing the computer memory and disc space required. With modern computers this is not so much a consideration. However many activities are written with consists and activity files that call for an AI loco in the folder of the stock item, hence the AI .eng file is required. In OR an Ai file is not required other than from a cab changing point of view (loco to loco). If you try to change loco cabs in OR from player loco to an AI service OR will not find a cabview in the regular MSTS AI .eng file. It is therefore necessary to create a copy of the regular OR.eng file (that will have a cabview ) and prefix it #. When a consist then calls for an AI loco OR will find a .eng file with a cabview and ” Cab Hopping” can take place.

Cheers for now

Terry

Attached File(s)

#17 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 May 2020 - 03:11 AM

I should add that some vacuum brake features are still in development. To be sure that the files that I posted work properly you must be using a recent unstable version of OR.

#18 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:14 PM

You will also find some demonstration activities here that show three different types of vacuum brakes. These activities were produced produced by Darwin and I as we were working on the vacuum brakes.

So they will show how the brakes actually work, and the ENG files can be used as a guide in setting up the vacuum brakes.

Currently this functionality is only in the unstable version of OR.

#19 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

After failing at more ambitious attempts I simply took the Class 40 file and modified the loco name and sound and cabview files so I could try it out on the SVR route. The loco moves but I can't stop it, the brakes don't work. According to the brakes display the brake pipe pressure can be shifted between 10"Hg and 0"Hg while the brake cylinder pressure is 16"Hg no matter what I do.

Obviously I'm not very capable, but this is driving me nuts.

Edit: I should have said I am using the build X1.3.1-149-gb40175bc.

Attached File(s)

#20 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

Edit: I should have said I am using the build X1.3.1-149-gb40175bc.

Vacuum brakes are still under development. Some of them will not work in that version.
When you start OpenRails - select Options - then the Updater tab - then select Unstable

Yes, I know it says it is for developers only and may contain serious defects - but such problems are rare - and many new features have not yet been added to Testing or Stable versions.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users