• You cannot reply to this topic

The mouse cursor Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:37 PM

Goku, IMO there is a correctable problem with how the mouse works in TSRE: The cursor always looks the same. You don't know what function is ready to fire by looking at the cursor... you need to scan a variety of places to see the selected function button. If you don't... there is no telling what's going to happen next time you click the mouse.

As an example of what could be is from Sketchup (3d modeling software, which is, IMO what TSRE is). SU has a small, floating tool bar that has a handful of icons tied to specific functions (it is smaller than the image, below). It's quite small, easily moved about so it doesn't block much of the screen:
Attached File  SU Toolbar.jpg (40.21K)
Number of downloads: 0

As you can see I've identified those icons that has an identical function in TSRE. I'm not saying that TSRE the same icons, just showing what some other similar software has done. When you click on one of those icons the appearance of the cursor changes to match the icon. It's not going to change when you take you eye off the screen to take a sip of coffee, speak to another person in the room, etc, all those tiny interruptions that occur, and so when your attention returns to the screen you CAN IMMEDIATELY SEE the function that is locked and loaded.

I can't tell you how many times I though I was using select when in fact the function was place new object. Or pick the texture instead of painting. Worst is accidentially moving track when I thought I was going to pan the screen. It's frustrating as all get out.

The use of icons in a small toolbar gets around any language issues, it allows removal of text and buttons in the larger toolbars so they can be purely focused on setting up the inputs to their respective functions, and possible made a bit smaller and/or open up room for another feature.

Can it be done? Will it be done? I hope so.

#2 User is offline   Garry 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails + TSRE5

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:37 AM

I agree with you that it is easy to get confused about what will happen when you click. I mean to select an object, but instead a new object is placed. I place an object then go to select the next one, but my first object jumps to the new position (thank GOKU for the undo function).
Whenever I think about getting annoyed about this I try to stop and think --"MSTS Route Editor"-- and then I smile and think how things have improved!

I use Sketchup as well for creating objects, and checking them out in TSRE. I have not tried the new shape viewer, I like to see the object in the route. I dont like texturing in Sketchup, so I export as a .stl into 3DCrafter, (a bit of a fiddly process), and do the texturing there.

Garry

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users