Elvas Tower: An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Freddy2000SP 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:53 AM

ear Elvas Tower Team,

I am in general very happy with your wonderful Open Rails software, enjoying it many times. However, today I ran into a strange error that I cannot explain nor solve by myself, so I request kindly your help. Yesterday I was running an activity (Milano-Torino-Venezia) without any problem, bu t now Open Rails gives an error while starting this (or another arbitrary) activity:
However, it is not clear to me, which file is missing. Enclosed the OR logfile.
Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Freddy Soer (freddysoer@yahoo.com)

P.S. I had Iolo System Mechanic installed on my system, but it suddenly had disappeared completely the next day. Moreover, I could not consult anymore the system logging files, nor could I go back to an earlier stage of the computer with system restore. It's a great riddle to me...
"Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (95.9K)
Number of downloads: 365".

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:41 AM

I suggest as a first step, go to https://james-ross.c...jects/or/builds and download the file at the top of the list and then install Open Rails again.

#3 User is offline   Freddy2000SP 

• Apprentice

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:36 PM

Dear Copperpen,
Thank you so much for your reaction and your suggestion to install the newest version of Open Rails. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, I still get this strange message "An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue". (already mentioned this issue too yesterday in the Open Rails bug forum, until now no reaction whtatsoever). Too, I take some additional actions at my computer, e.g. completely re-installed the Microsoft XNA- and -NET-programs , Visual Studio etc. Installed the newest Windows Updates. Rebooted the computer several times, however, without any results..I will enclose the new logfile, stating almost the same... It appears to me that Open Rails is calling for an external file (but which one, and where located?) whcih could nog be found...
I would be very glad if you have another suggestions what to do. Thanks again! Freddy
Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (47.27K)
Number of downloads: 329

#4 User is offline   Freddy2000SP 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:48 AM

Dear Copperpen,
I am really desperate... I could not find ANY clue which file Open Rails is missing. It is a general OR-issue, because every activity on any route gives the same error when loading.: "An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue". My computer for the rest of it is working fine.
How is this possible? I suspose - without any evidence, because no logging available - that System Mechanic could have removed this (and maybe other) file.
I will attach a recent copy of the registry, (in zipped format) and of course another copy of the OR log file. I hope sincerely that you and/or your other professional companions can resolve this issue, I like Open Rails so much it is a great pleasure to use this great software.
Kind regards,Freddy
Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (132.39K)
Number of downloads: 292attachment=98489:cc_20190618_005737.zip]

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:59 AM

There are no actual files missing.
OR tries to obtain system information through Windows management classes and this fails at every attempt.
All instances of these errors are captured through try - catch statements and therefor the program does not actually crash on this missing information.
I'm not fully sure on this, but I think the program aborts because the failure of accessing the system information means that some vital information is now not available and therefor the program cannot continue.
I'm not an expert on Windows system environment, so I do not know why the Windows management classes fail or what should be done to prevent this.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:37 AM

Your first (and other) error line contains (Uitzondering van HRESULT: 0x80070002)

Google provided: 0x8007002 Error Codes are caused in one way or another by misconfigured system files in your windows operating system.

Windows System Update failure seemed to be the most popular cause ?

Try running Windows Update again and see if any updates fail or check to see if any current updates have failed ?

#7 User is offline   Freddy2000SP 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

Dear Coppermen, Espee and Roeter,

Many thanks for your contributions! I already encountered that it should be a Windows-based problem. I ran Contrib.Datavalidator from within the directory where Open Rails is installed, see for results in attachment. Too, I did troubleshooting on the Windows Update issue, and it appears as Espee alreaday stated, that there has been a possible error in the Windows Update Database. Hopefully this can be solved by deleting all Windows updates so far and reinstall them after reboot. It hope this wil help in a definitive way. I will come back to you as soon as I have further notifications.
If you have other suggestions, please tell me!Thank once again for your empathy,Kind regards,FreddyAttached Image: 2019-06-18-Possible_error-Windows Update-database(2).jpgattachment=98490:2019-06-18_OR_Data_Validator_Utility_results.jpg]Attached Image: 2019-06-18-Possible_error-Windows Update-database.jpg

#8 User is offline   Freddy2000SP 

• Apprentice

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:26 AM

Many thanks for your contributions! I already encountered that it should be a Windows-based problem. I ran Contrib.Datavalidator from within the directory where Open Rails is installed, see for results in attachment. Too, I did troubleshooting on the Windows Update issue, and it appears as Espee alreaday stated, that there has been a possible error in the Windows Update Database. Hopefully this can be solved by deleting all Windows updates so far and reinstall them after reboot. It hope this wil help in a definitive way. I will come back to you as soon as I have further notifications.
If you have other suggestions, please tell me!Thank once again for your empathy,Kind regards,FreddyAttached Image: 2019-06-18-Possible_error-Windows Update-database(2).jpgattachment=98490:2019-06-18_OR_Data_Validator_Utility_results.jpg]Attached Image: 2019-06-18-Possible_error-Windows Update-database.jpg

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 2019-06-18_OR_Data_Validator_Utility_results.jpg

#9 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostFreddy2000SP, on 17 June 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

(already mentioned this issue too yesterday in the Open Rails bug forum, until now no reaction whtatsoever).

Thanks for raising this issue (and also logging it at Launchpad.net) and to Copperpen, Roeter and Espee for their help to you.

It looks as though you have found a new way in which Open Rails can fail to run, so I have added the necessary detail to your Launchpad bug report. Hopefully we can use it to improve Open Rails so the next person gets more informative messages.
Do follow up with a post here to let us know how it works out on your PC.

#10 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:30 PM

View PostFreddy2000SP, on 18 June 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

If you have other suggestions, please tell me!Thank once again for your empathy,Kind regards,FreddyAttachment 2019-06-18-Possible_error-Windows Update-database(2).jpgattachment=98490:2019-06-18_OR_Data_Validator_Utility_results.jpg]Attachment 2019-06-18-Possible_error-Windows Update-database.jpg

running "sfc /scannow" in a windows command line is a good starting point to have Windows check and fix errors.

For Windows Update errors, using "DISM" command is another option ("DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth")
More details https://support.micr...date-readiness.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users