Elvas Tower: Retractable Front Coupler...? - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Retractable Front Coupler...? aka Drop Couplers, Swing Couplers, etc. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:05 PM

As of now, OR uses one coupler model for all rolling stock--it doesn't differentiate between automatic, chain and bar like MSTS did. But while we are considering rewriting the coupler code, here's a feature that might be of interest.

On some locomotives, predominantly in the US in the late steam/early diesel era, the front coupler often had the ability to retract into the pilot when not in use. These go by many names such as "drop coupler" or "swing coupler" depending on how the coupler is extended or retracted when needed. The thought behind that was not so much for appearances sake (such as on streamlined passenger locomotives) as much as it was to allow obstructions on the track to be deflected by the pilot rather than impaled on the coupler. Thus the front coupler can be extended only when needed (such as when double-heading) and retracted into the pilot at all other times

I have some thoughts on how this could be incorporated into OR:
  • Assign a key command to allow the player to extend or retract the front coupler during the game
  • Create provisions to animate the front coupler on the shape file by specifying part names for the coupler and (when applicable) the doors that conceal it, when the key command is pressed
  • The front coupler can only be coupled to when the front coupler is in its extended position. If the player attempts to couple to the front coupler when it's still in its retracted position, the loco and the car(s) in question will not couple
  • Likewise, the coupler cannot be retracted until all cars associated with teh front coupler are uncoupled, and
  • If a retractable-coupler equipped locomotive is not the first vehicle in a consist, the front coupler will be in its extended position by default, but if it is the first vehicle, the coupler is retracted by default

Is this an idea worth implementing eventually?

#2 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:33 PM

This functionality would have to be built into the shape file for the individual locomotive. Then it can be activated using one of the available animation commands: Shift-V, Ctrl-V, etc. It wouldn't necessarily be an Open Rails enhancement. What the OR team could do, however, is to make additional animation command keys available for custom animations, utilizing some of the few remaining unused keys and key combinations. They could either be used for custom animations or for custom sounds.

#3 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:34 AM

What the OR team could do, however, is to make additional animation command keys available for custom animations, utilizing some of the few remaining unused keys and key combinations. They could either be used for custom animations or for custom sounds.

Exactly... I wholeheartedly agree. This would be more proper way to do.

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

Front couplers can be animated. I've been doing it for some time in both MSTS (Pacific Electric interurbans) and OR (1863 4-4-0's with link and pin couplings). I use the mirror animation for the time being, but it would be nice to have a dedicated selection of keystrokes for the front couplings and any associated parts, like the stowaway doors mentioned.

Front end coupling link raised using Shift-V.

Attached Image: frontcoupleranim.jpg

I'm still fine tuning this, but it works.

#5 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

View Posttimmuir, on 04 June 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

Front couplers can be animated. I've been doing it for some time in both MSTS (Pacific Electric interurbans) and OR (1863 4-4-0's with link and pin couplings). I use the mirror animation for the time being, but it would be nice to have a dedicated selection of keystrokes for the front couplings and any associated parts, like the stowaway doors mentioned.

Front end coupling link raised using Shift-V.

Attachment frontcoupleranim.jpg

I'm still fine tuning this, but it works.

Thank you, Tim. I believe our first priority should be rewriting the coupler code to allow for different coupling parameters a la MSTS (as opposed to one coupler model for all rolling stock), then we could talk about dedicated keystrokes, as well as all my previously aforementioned "rules" about when a retractable front coupler can or can't be coupled, uncoupled , extended, retracted, etc.

I'm not sure, though, whether or not to add a Trello poll now or wait until later...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users