Elvas Tower: Milwaukee Road Coast Subdivision 2 THANK YOU to J.H. Sullivan - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Milwaukee Road Coast Subdivision 2 THANK YOU to J.H. Sullivan Discussion re JH Sullivan's Milwaukee Road Coast Sub 2 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Brian-Lidd 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

First post on this site:

A huge thank you to J.H. Sullivan (landnrailroader) and his team for the recently-released Milwaukee Road Coast 2nd Subdivision. New to railroad history, I was unaware of this line until a few years ago when I visited Snoqualmie Washington and biked the new rail-trail from Hyak to Rattlesnake Lake. Wish I could have visited the line when it was in operation (I was 10yrs old when it shut down).

Just following the line in OR, I'm learning even more about Milwaukee Road history.

J.H., any possibility of doing the old Stevens Pass line via Wellington, with the switchbacks and original Cascade Tunnel (i.e. The Iron Goat Trail)? Your team has the skills to do it right and it would be wonderful to see those old switchbacks in OR. My own programming skills end with PRINT "[NAME]".

Thanks for your hard work. I look forward to exploring your other routes.

Does anyone have a set of paths for this route? It's the first time I've had to use Track Viewer to get going on a new route...

Thanks,

Brian D. Liddicoat
Corralitos, CA

#2 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

What Jerry has done (and what Paul Charland also does well) in preserving how it was is tremendously valuable. I'm grateful too.

A set of paths that can be downloaded do exist. I forget where, perhaps someone else can point Brian in the right direction.

Also Stevens Pass has been done too. Again, I don't know exactly, but search around on the trainsim.com library or someone else can help.

Christopher

PS - welcome aboard!

#3 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

Chris:

So you think there's a version of Stevens Pass that includes the early switchbacks?

I did a search for Stevens Pass at TS and didn't turn up such a route.

There is the commercial Stevens Pass effort "The Scenic Sub", but there's not enough DEM terrain included to do the switchbacks.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostBrian-Lidd, on 30 May 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

J.H., any possibility of doing the old Stevens Pass line via Wellington, with the switchbacks and original Cascade Tunnel (i.e. The Iron Goat Trail)? Your team has the skills to do it right and it would be wonderful to see those old switchbacks in OR. My own programming skills end with PRINT "[NAME]".
Brian D. Liddicoat
Corralitos, CA

Jerry has announced that at his advanced age (IIRC it's 70-80) that he intends to pass the baton on completing any more routes.

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

See this thread:
http://www.elvastowe...989#entry245989

Andre, I was probably thinking of your thoughts on this line or to the Streamlines Scenic Sub. Not sure. I just know that I had 'Stevens Pass' attached in my brain to something somebody did to some extent. Out in New England, I get a little fuzzy about what is happening on the left coast. I've been out that way on the Empire Builder a few times, but always to Portland, never Seattle (plus I've always been sleeping on the Cascades crossing).

Christopher

#6 User is offline   llanning08 

• Hostler

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:57 AM

A nice freeware alternative to Trainsimulation's Scenic Sub is Seattle v2 by Charles Dollins v2 and improved by John Finney. Seattle v2 runs a bit further than Scenic Sub, from just north of Seattle and past Wenatchee to Trinidad WA. Seattle v2 is in the Trainsim Library.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users