• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Track Textures? OR 1.3.1.4328 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

Can you try running the routes (only one is enough) with the stable version 1.3.1 and tell what occurs?

#12 User is offline   llanning08 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:08 AM

That will require that I remove my current OR and load OR 1.3.1 Stable version.

I'll set that up and get back in a bit. I was just running Austin Yoder's Horseshoe Curve down the hill with a long coal train to Altoona. This route uses .ace acleantrack files and does not show the problem.

Back soon ...

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

You don't need to remove your actual version. You can have both versions in parallel (in different folders). You can find old versions of OR here https://james-ross.c...jects/or/builds . x1.3.1 corresponds to x.4328.

#14 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Open Rails, like MSTS will read a track shape and then look in the route for the texture files required by the shape. Unlike MSTS, OR will display the shape with no textures.

The last two route offerings from Streamlines are quite clearly labelled as OR only and should be installed into a separate OR profile because the track shapes call for DDS textures. These track shapes as is normal, reside in the Global/Shapes folder, and if the routes have been added to an existing mini install that uses shapes using ace textures, all of those shapes modified by Streamlines to use dds textures overwrite those that are currently in the Global/Shapes folder thus causing the missing track textures for those shapes that need ace textures. Cannot comment on Sherman Hill as I do not have the route.

None of my many sets of routes suffer from missing track textures so personally I do not consider this to be an OR bug.

#15 User is offline   llanning08 

• Hostler

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:19 AM

That's exactly how I'm doing the swap ... no problem! I already have two iterations of Open Rails, my system is dual-boot and both the OR intalls share the mini route directory.

Back soon ...

I'm back. Installed OR Stable version 1.3.1 and ran the Sherman Hill route with results as follows:

Ran with Load DDS option off, no .dds acleantrack files, failed to display some track textures.

Ran with Load DDS option on, no .dds acleantrack files, failed to display some track textures.

Ran with Load DDS option on, added .dds acleantrack files, all track textures displayed okay.

#16 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:24 AM

You are right, Merwyn, but maybe this can be solved adding few lines of code, so I think I'll have a try.

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

This is a tentative solution (files to be replaced in official release x1.3.1-58)

26/5/2019: File deleted because solution now implemented in x1.3.1-61

#18 User is offline   llanning08 

• Hostler

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

I have loaded both TS OR routes. They didn't mention they altered the Global file, and I did install into mini routes with other routes.

The BNSF Scenic OR Optimized (the OR Starter Route) failed, and caused the BNSF Scenic Sub 2 to fail. Oddly, the OR Starter route did not seem to have the .dds acleantrack files. Both in same mini route. Adding the .dds acleantrack files to both routes fixed the problem. When I first installed BNSF Seligman Sub OR, it would not let me browse to select my desired mini route, but forced itself into my Northwest mini route (where the OR Starter Route was also installed previously. I'm presuming that that mini route's Global was modified by BSNF Selingman Sub ORTS! I then moved the BNSF Selingman Sub ORTS to my Southwest mini route, but did not consider the changes made to the Northwest Global. Installing BNSF Seligman Sub ORTS damaged both of my BNSF Scenic Sub install!

The BNSF Selingman Sub ORTS caused the Sherman Hill route to fail, but the BNSF Seligman Sub 2 is fine with only the .ace acleantrack files. All three routes in the same mini route.

I realize this explanation is involved, but the problem is a weird one! Looks like it is getting under control, but I wasn't aware that installing these route required their very on mini routes! And what about those who don't use mini route? Looks like patching OR is the most "user friendly" approach, although the fix seems to work just fine. I have to carefully check the affected mini routes Global directory to seem what was added/over written. Don't see any adverse effect in other textures. Sure wish Trainsimulations had made this situation a bit more clear when installing their OR Optimized routes! I earlier read in TrainSim forums that both BNSF Seligman Sub 2 and BNSF Seligman ORTS could coexist without any probelem and the ORTS "Upgrade" would not affect the MSTS version.

My head is beginning to hurt, so I'll just post this missive!

I think I've got my problem under control, but it's like the mechanic's car. It's broke, but since he knows what's wrong, he keeps on running it and will get around to fixing it later! Just a poke here and a jab there gets it going.

#19 User is offline   llanning08 

• Hostler

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

Memo to Route Builders (and Installers):

With the advent of "real" Open Rails optimized routes some clarification is necessary.

If one adds to the Trainsim install Global file, fine, but if you alter existing data please be very clear if the route requires it's own mini route. I do know of two routes, Vince's LIRR and Del's Tri-State ... they made it very clear to install as a stand alone mini route. The great PRR-ER seems to co-exist nicely with other routes. Trainsimultaions was not so clear!

Not a complaint, rather an observation. All the routes are great and run well.

#20 User is offline   Tony 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

Csantucci, on 25 May 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

This is a tentative solution (files to be replaced in official release x1.3.1-58)
Runactivities_acedds.zip

Thanks, that fixed it. :sign_thanks:

Cheers Tony B)

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users