Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Immersive Sound Project Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   openheaders 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

So basically I was driving home from work and started daydreaming as I passed the old NYC "Peanut Line" bed thinking hmm you know what train sims lack? Full length crossing blasts on the whistle.. or some way to even have multiple pitches to play in .wav files to make a unique sound instead of the generic toot... toooooooooooot.... tooooot... all just sounding the same just at a longer length. So my idea is to put together some actual full length whistles and not to mention try my hand at seeing if there are scripts that can be utilized to do different notes in one loco. Wishful thinking right? The second thing I was thinking as I avoided rear ending some old coot in a honda was that what kind of unique characters were on these old steamers? Was there ever that old "You mean I'm stuck with this fireman for the day?" In light of that using the new radio chatter feature I'm going to attempt to add some interesting banter between the fireman and the engineer. (this is pretty much a personal idea but i will put it out if people want it, some might find it annoying possibly... and no I wont be voice acting to keep the cringe level low.) The idea that I want to do actually is see if I can set up scripts that respond to events in the loco. Example: Low water= Something like "This is how accidents happen %&*!" and a witty comeback from an irritated fireman trying to do his job. ((May or may not have light nsfw language cause lets face it I worked on a railroad in the shops and the things they say there would make your grandma go pale in horror.) Anyways ideas are welcome and hey criticism too if you so desire. Wont lie I may ask for some help figuring out a few things but the idea I think has been overlooked far too long in the train sim field.

#2 User is offline   Sandy River Tom 

• Senior Foreman of Engines
  • Group: Status: Senior Foreman, Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS-V1.5.1

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

Sound editing can be interesting and fun to do.
I did some sound editing years ago to create a sound pack for small, narrow-gauge locos.
IIRC, I used 2 different sound editing programs: "Audacity" and "GoldWave".

Problem with whistles is that you need short hoots and long blasts from the same .wav file,
so you hafta loop the same file. Tough part is getting the start and end point of the
loop to be the same pitch and volume (so it doesn't sound like a loop).

Good luck with your project . . . .

#3 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

A more effective solution would be to create several different loops of the same horn, using different samples, then have the sim randomly select one each time the stream is activated. That avoids all of the inherent problems of having the entire sequence in a single file.

With that said, what we hear in-sim is more or less what's heard in real life. Outside of museums or the occasional shortline, nobody really quills or otherwise gets fancy with horns, even on locomotives without solenoid valves. There might be some exceptions, but, for most people, it just ain't worth their time.

#4 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

I do extensive sound editing for my private non-release projects. My whistles and horns are like Erick says randomly picked with varying degrees of quill, or sometimes looped so there's some quill in them that's heard if the spacebar is pressed long enough. I've also done random crew talk with some generic phrases and/or action-activated crew talk such as "Fire's lookin thin, spread some coal on it." when in the cab view. Little touches that makes my models more lifelike.

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Erick, maybe nobody quills now, but within my memory it was commonplace, at least on the B&O where I grew up. Of course those old GP9's where you pulled the chord down from above made it easy.
Christopher

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users