Elvas Tower: Trains folder selection in the Instalation Profile - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trains folder selection in the Instalation Profile Using master trains folder with standalone routes. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

I brought this subject up a few years ago but with the proliferation of stand alone routes like PRR East and the RGS now coming out it may make more sense.
I think we need the option to define our trains content in the options tab like we define the routes content.
An example. When I want to run Vince's excellent PRR East, OR will let me use my existing trains folder (all 24.7GB of it) from the dropdown right below the Installation Profile where I select the route I want.
Does this sound like something that would be useful to the OR community?
I know I would use it.

Steve

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

View Poststeved, on 11 May 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

I brought this subject up a few years ago but with the proliferation of stand alone routes like PRR East and the RGS now coming out it may make more sense.
I think we need the option to define our trains content in the options tab like we define the routes content.

We have a Unified trainset folder idea in "Future" right now although, as I noted there, I would like to address this slightly differently; instead of configuration (like the main content options) or a single "unified" folder I would like to make Open Rails read content from other installation profiles automatically.

This is likely to be done as part of, or at least closely linked to, Content directory file format.

#3 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 10 June 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

We have a Unified trainset folder idea in "Future" right now although, as I noted there, I would like to address this slightly differently; instead of configuration (like the main content options) or a single "unified" folder I would like to make Open Rails read content from other installation profiles automatically.

This is likely to be done as part of, or at least closely linked to, Content directory file format.

James,
Thank you for this.
Steve

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Got my votes.

#5 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

My vote too. Looking forward to it.

My trainset folders are kind of out of control. I'd like one master trainset folder with a bunch of sub-folders for railroad and era and then tell open rails to read whatever number of them is appropriate for the specific route. For example, I'd put all my Amtrak content in one sub-folder and all the routes with Amtrak would read it along with other folders as appropriate (but not everything, which is burdensome).

It seems like it should be pretty simple. Much simpler than new formats. But I don't have the inside view here.

Christopher

#6 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

The only issue I see with making it automatic is from the content creation side. My first stage of testing is to install new things in a "clean" installation (which, in my case, is the self-contained Trainsimulations sample route), as this simulates another user's system. If everything works as intended, and the log throws no errors, I then move on to sending files to other users for testing. So long as we can disable the option, it's no big deal, of course.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users