Elvas Tower: GWR Vacuum Brakes .Eng files - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GWR Vacuum Brakes .Eng files Help request converting MSTS to ORTS Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:52 AM

Please can I ask for help in converting GWR MSTS .eng files to ORTS? I know the Great Western used 25 in hg, and I`m happy to run on the OR standard 21 in hg. Equally, I don`t mind which ejector is represented. I`ve looked at the excellent Coals to Newcastle examples, but my attempts to follow them end up with 16 in hg and dragging brakes.
Here is one of the .eng files I`m struggling with. taken from UKTS_18349_BR_Modified_Hall_7903

Many thanks for any help, rick

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

Your brake controller has no release

Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.0375 0.65
NumNotches( 3
Notch( 0 1 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch(0.01 1 TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart )
Notch(0.2 1 TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart )
)
)

and I don't see an ejector specified in the controllers. SmallEjectorOrCompressor( 0 1 1 )

The rest of it looks fine.

#3 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:00 AM

Although it needs updating, the information here still pretty much works "A Guide to Vacuum Brakes in Open Rails"

Apart from the guidance you mention at Coals to Newcastle website. The site also has example Open Rails files that you can download for the Modified Hall class.

The text file that you have uploaded is basically an MSTS eng file. If you want to get the best performance out of OR, it is worth creating OR eng files which make good use of all the additional features that are available in OR. As mentioned above Coals to Newcastle already has a file for a Modified Hall - so you can just substitute in your file names and shape names. If you wanted to use that as a basis for making an OR file for a Castle or a Mogul or something else I would be happy to assist or look over the file for you.

Some point from what you have.

BrakeCylinderPressureForMaxBrakeBrakeForce( 25 ) should include units BrakeCylinderPressureForMaxBrakeBrakeForce( 25inHg )

TrainBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure( 25 ) should similarly read TrainBrakesControllerMaxSystemPressure( 25inHg )

For the controls the MSTS version:

Brake_Train ( 0 0.99 0.1 0.98
NumNotches( 2
Notch(0.0 0 TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart )
Notch(0.05 1 TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart )
)
)

...was written to work with an attempt in MSTS to model the large ejector separately - which is true to GWR practice but not supported in Open Rails.

Hence in the Open Rails version becomes either:

Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.3 0.4
NumNotches( 3
Notch(0 0 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch(0.3 0 TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart )
Notch(0.6 0 TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart )))

or

Brake_Train ( 0 1 0.3 0.4
NumNotches( 4
Notch(0 0 TrainBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
Notch(0.3 0 TrainBrakesControllerRunningStart )
Notch(0.6 0 TrainBrakesControllerApplyStart )
Notch(0.9 0 TrainBrakesControllerEmergencyStart )))

...here "Release" needs to be added as OR does not support a separate large ejector. "Emergency" is added if you also want to have a faster application as in Open Rails the vacuum brake valve is only either on or off and not graduated.

For the small ejector control use:

ORTSSmallEjector ( 0 1 0.1 0.5 ) to replace SmallEjectorOrCompressor( 0 1 0 )

On the GWR Kings, Castles and Halls were fitted with Large Ejector, Small Ejector and Vacuum Pump.
Most GWR locos had only Large Ejector and Vacuum Pump.

#4 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Mervyn and Darwin : for not saying RTFM, and for the very helpful info. I had not spotted the lack of release or ejector factors so I wouldn`t have been able to get the loco moving on my own. Nor had i seen the complete loco for download on CTN.
I have tried to substitute the 7903 data into the CTN hall, but got in a mess even with this. So I`m now running the CTN Hall instead.
I need to get a 43xx mogul and a 2251 0-6-0 working in ORTS, so I would be very grateful for help with a .eng for these. No Castles. They weren`t cleared for my route. A castle did once sneak in and was impounded.It is still talked about over 60 years later!
thanks, rick

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users