• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Copy a Saved Game Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

Is it possible to make a copy of a saved game as a safeguard against a crash ?

I think I found the files - I believe there are 3 per save - a PNG , a Replay , and a Save . I haven't tried it yet but what I'm trying to do is copy a save from 1st drive to the same Mini Route on a 2nd drive .

#2 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:06 PM

Try "Resume/Replay", "Import/Export".

#3 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:41 PM

There are 5 files:-

c:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails\Load Cache\

One in here with a random value.

c:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails\

Four in here:-

PNG,
Replay,
Save,
Txt file with information

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:25 PM

View Postengmod, on 28 April 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

c:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails\Load Cache\
One in here with a random value.

The hard, I've found, is finding which of the dat files in the Load Cache belongs with all the others...sort by date and then match to rest or search the dat files for the name of the activity or route, possibly?

#5 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

Is there a way to redirect " Saves " to a different directory for each separate install or do they all have to go to the " User " directory ?

#6 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:30 AM

You are wanting to go down a road filled with pot holes.

First of all you need to understand the difference in how MSTS and ORTS Activity saves are stored.
MSTS Activity save files are stored in (Drive):\(MSTS Install)\SAVES\(Route name)\(Partial Activity name)_(Date in MMDDYYYY format)_(Time in HHMMSS format).sav NOTE that each MSTS installation will have a SAVES folder.

So to "copy" a save file saved by MSTS one only needs to copy the file from one install SAVES folder the SAVES folder of another install containing the same Route and rolling stock.

ORTS Activity save are saved in a common folder (Drive):\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails\ and sub folder Load Cache as was explained by Engmod above. This folder is the same for ALL installs on each PC.

Since the files are located in a "common" folder for the PC not a "common" folder for the installation the files would have to be renamed after making a copy. ORTS's naming format is (full Activity name) space (Date in format of YYYY-MM-DD) space (Time in format of HH.MM.SS) as in 3DT_WP3_CZ Eastbound 2015-02-24 19.30.30.save So you could not just copy it and leave the name as 3DT_WP3_CZ Eastbound 2015-02-24 19.30.30(copy).save Which is what Windows would name it when you copied it back into the same folder. Since the date and time is the date/time you saved the activity with ORTS then I assume you could rename it and the other related files to a different time as in 3DT_WP3_CZ Eastbound 2015-02-24 09.00.30.save However, you might have to also change some internal date/time entries within the file. I said might because this date/time is real time of the file save NOT simulation date/time. BUT you will have to edit the copied files so that the PATHs within the file(s) point to the OTHER install of the route that you want to run the "copied" Save in.

Note: I have only identified the evident "pot holes" you will have to fill. There may be others that are not so evident.

#7 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

Charles you have described a problem with save which also applied to activity evaluations. I suggested when these were considered that shay be saveed in a folder with the name of the route as is done with MSTS. but this was not done.

For Hobo's specific problem, have you tried my suggestion of using "Resume/Replay", "Import/Export"?

#8 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

David,

All you have to use is the Resume/Replay feature. Import/Export not required.

Example I have the Route WP3 installed in 2 locations A:\MSTS\ROUTES\WP3 and A:\WP3-Raw\ROUTES\WP3.
Opened the CAL-18 activity in A:\MSTS\ROUTES\WP3 ran a few minutes. Saved the Activity. Quit.
Opened ORTS to WP3-Raw install. Selected the CAL-18 activity.
Clicked on the Resume/Replay button. My save of a few minutes before was listed to choose.
Chose it. Clicked Resume button and activity started as it had been saved in the A:\MSTS install.

Of course, I doubt this would have been successful if I had edited the Activity in either install
or had not had all the needed rolling stock in both installs.

Could not find any mention in the Manual about Save in one MSTS install and Resume in another MSTS install.

Hobo, Looks like you don't need to Copy anything to use a Saved Activity in a different Install unless it is on a different PC.

#9 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

I have used "Resume/Replay", "Import/Export". "Export to Save Pack" to save the activity save on one OR install and then "Resume/Replay", "Import/Export" "Import Save Pack" to copy the save to a completely different OR install. It then shows as a saved activity in that OR install.

#10 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

View Postdforrest, on 29 April 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

I have used "Resume/Replay", "Import/Export". "Export to Save Pack" to save the activity save on one OR install and then "Resume/Replay", "Import/Export" "Import Save Pack" to copy the save to a completely different OR install. It then shows as a saved activity in that OR install.

Import/Export is not required on the same PC. Try Save, Quit, Select different profile (with same route), Select Same Activity, click the Resume/Replay button and find the saved run.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users