Elvas Tower: Advanced Coupler - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced Coupler Adding slack and damping Rate Topic: -----

#131 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 30 October 2021 - 08:54 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 29 October 2021 - 04:28 PM, said:

That does not line up with my experience, in my demonstration activity, I can successfully start a 23000 ton(us), 11,000 ft long freight train hauled by two locomotives, it has 203 cars. The weight of the train is based upon the Norfolk Southern tonnage rating for a freight train on a relatively flat route.

So if your train was set up to the same principles, I would expect it to perform in a similar fashion.

If you position yourself towards the end of the train, you will see the front of the train moving, and the rear stationary.

So, for starters, my stuff is not set up with the same principles so it doesn't perform the same at all. I've based my coupler stiffness and slack settings on real data, and the coupler settings in that SD70ACe coal train don't reflect anything real. I see the coal hopper here goes to 50,000 pounds at 2.75 inches of displacement, then in the next 0.4 inches shoots up to 511,000 pounds. I have never seen anything which suggests there's a draft gear so weak that it only resists 50,000 pounds when extended by nearly 3 inches. At 3 inches, most models would be applying a force of 300,000 to 500,000 pounds already. I cannot see where 50,000 pounds comes from unless it is a typo.

Comment ( Open Rails Advanced Coupler )
      Coupling (
        FrontCouplerAnim ( CouplerA.s 0.0 0.9 -0.35 ) Comment ( To lower coupler set y = 0.9 )
        RearCouplerAnim ( CouplerB.s 0.0 0.9 -0.35 )
        Spring (
          ORTSTensionStiffness ( 50000lbf 511000lbf )
          ORTSTensionR0 ( 0in 1.0in ) Comment ( Distances doubled as this simulates couplers on this and the following car )
          ORTSTensionSlack ( 2.75in 0.4in )

ORTSCompressionStiffness ( 50000lbf 511000lbf )
          ORTSCompressionR0 ( 0in 1.0in )
          ORTSCompressionSlack ( 2.75in 0.4in )

ORTSBreak ( 1.8e6N 511000lbf )
        )
        CouplingHasRigidConnection ( 0 )
    )

Here's the test results I have been using for my setup.
https://i.imgur.com/2P3E9Wd.png

Now, compare that to what has been placed in the coal hoppers on that SD70ACe setup.
https://i.imgur.com/pp4H9UR.png

If I change the NS hopper to use 500,000 pounds for that first stiffness value instead of 50,000 pounds, thus making the couplers much stiffer and closer to real life, I start to see more unusual behavior. Some jittering, some moments where the train speed suddenly decreases to a near stop then increases without explanation, slack runs in and out all the way even when no force is applied to the couplers. I am not surprised you wouldn't see issues with the stock configuration of that set, but just because that particular setup does not cause problems does not mean that there is nothing wrong in the system.

#132 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 October 2021 - 06:07 PM

View Postpschlik, on 30 October 2021 - 08:54 AM, said:

Here's the test results I have been using for my setup.

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you send me the link for the paper that the diagram came from, as I am interested to read it.

Thanks

#133 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:00 AM

View Poststeamer_ctn, on 30 October 2021 - 06:07 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you send me the link for the paper that the diagram came from, as I am interested to read it.

Thanks

Sure, came from a report about "TEDS" the train energy and dynamics simulator. I suppose much of what was learned there is relevant for enthusiast level simulation too, but they reference next to no technical details or formulae. TEDS_Validation_final.pdf (dot.gov)

#134 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 01 November 2021 - 12:22 AM

View Postpschlik, on 31 October 2021 - 09:00 AM, said:

Sure, came from a report about "TEDS" the train energy and dynamics simulator. I suppose much of what was learned there is relevant for enthusiast level simulation too, but they reference next to no technical details or formulae. TEDS_Validation_final.pdf (dot.gov)

Thanks for that.

#135 User is offline   Railcat 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 May 2022 - 01:29 AM

OR Test Version T1.4-499.

Coupler and airhose animation seems not take effect on my OR. I used the example download from here. Am I doing anything wrong?
Attached Image: Open Rails 2022-05-04 05-24-45.jpg
Attached Image: 网页捕获_4-5-2022_172824_www.coalstonewcastle.com.au.jpeg

#136 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 May 2022 - 10:27 PM

View PostRailcat, on 04 May 2022 - 01:29 AM, said:

OR Test Version T1.4-499.

Coupler and airhose animation seems not take effect on my OR. I used the example download from here. Am I doing anything wrong?

Did you try in the latest Unstable version?

#137 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 06 May 2022 - 02:49 AM

Hello.

I tried the test vehicle provided (NW_53014_LD.wag). Unfortunately, none of the shapes in the Coupling block are visible. Unfortunately, LOG doesn't show anything either.
That was good sometime in February. It was then that I thought about writing to you asking for a few minor changes to make it good for European vehicles as well.
In part, the Train Operations window can only be turned on and off. He doesn't react to anything else.
I would like to mention here that the message boxes that appear during tasks do not respond to the mouse. Since there are no keyboard shortcuts for these, the first such window to pop up means the game is over. This is also true for the weekly update.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#138 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:28 AM

It works in version 1.4 but sadly not in NYMG rev.128

#139 User is offline   NickonWheels 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:16 AM

Some test runs later I found out 'Simple controls and physics' must be deactivated, otherwise the coupling objects do not appear!

Also the air hose at the rear looks like all other hoses, though the shape should look different/be a different one...

#140 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 December 2022 - 04:31 AM

Hello there!

I'm back exploring the advanced coupler features and starting to adapt most of my rolling stock to use it, mainly for aesthetic purposes. For now I have tryed to make it work on two wagons with limited results.

I am generaly using this code, inserted on a inc file located in the wagon's openrails subfolder ( ../wagon/Openrails/*.inc )

Coupling (
		FrontCouplerAnim ( f_engateuic2.s 0 1.105 0 )
		FrontCouplerOpenAnim ( f_engateuic1.s 0 1.105 0 )
		RearCouplerAnim ( r_engateuic2.s 0 1.105 0 )   
		RearCouplerOpenAnim ( r_engateuic1.s 0 1.105 0 ) 

FrontAirHoseAnim ( f_mangueira2.s 0 0.942 -0.628 )
		FrontAirHoseDisconnectedAnim ( f_mangueira1.s 0 0.942 -0.628 )
		RearAirHoseAnim ( r_mangueira2.s 0 0.942 -0.628 )
		RearAirHoseDisconnectedAnim ( r_mangueira1.s 0 0.942 -0.628 )             

Spring (
			ORTSTensionStiffness ( 200kn 1200kN )
			ORTSTensionR0 ( 0mm 25mm ) Comment ( Distances doubled )
			ORTSTensionSlack ( 3mm 10mm )

ORTSCompressionStiffness ( 1200kN 2400kN )
			ORTSCompressionR0 ( 0mm 25mm )
			ORTSCompressionSlack ( 60mm 15mm )

ORTSBreak ( 700kN 1200kN )
			)
		CouplingHasRigidConnection ( 0 )

What I am observing right now is this:

1- if I do not enter the HoseAnim lines (both connected and disconnected) the RearCouplerAnim does not show. i started just inserting the four Coupler anim lines because i wanted to try by steps...
2- i can't get the rear coupler to be loaded with the right shape. (The front coupler loads the right shape actually)
3- nor do I seam to be able to place the Hoses in the right place on the z axys. If i change values in the x and y axis i get a change , but no change at all no matter what value I enter. This would place the hoses next to the frame of the wagon, instead on the edge of the buffers limit...

The rear coupler
https://i.ibb.co/R9qv0rC/Open-Rails-2022-12-13-12-26-23.png
intermediate couplers...
https://i.ibb.co/DR97fFg/Open-Rails-2022-12-13-12-25-53.png

I recall some months ago this used to work well and I even made a video... now it seams there's some bug.

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users