Thanks, Vince Just populated the PRR-ER Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   JBrownCS 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:49 PM

Yes, please, I can always use more E7s.

View Postrfranzosa, on 14 April 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

Duh! In a mini-route I was looking at the main folder, not the ROUTES folder! Thanks....

I've been looking at my 2008 vintage PRR passenger set, and I'm thinking this route needs something a lot more 'OR-worthy'. There's no chance I can do a complete upgrade in any reasonable timeframe, but considering I already had upgraded the BLW E7 for the IC City of New Orleans and the B&O National Limited (OK, neither of them released yet...) I could easily push out an updated set of E7's as a bonus for folks who own the set. Started this last night, making good progress. Here's a teaser:

Attachment e7-1.JPG

Attachment e7-2.JPG

Attachment e7-3.JPG

#22 User is offline   Woodfyr 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:09 AM

View Postvince, on 15 April 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

I'm curious about K4 3750 you drive in this activity; The best I could do up that stiff grade West up the hill from Altoona to the curve was about 30 - 35 mph, ~ 40 mph on the steady 1.8% after the curve. Full throttle and ~30% cutoff.
I've also tried starting at Altoona at zero cutoff and slowly increasing the cutoff until she starts to move and then adjusting speed the same way leaving the throttle full on.Anything over 40% cutoff put steam in the red and I stall.Where did this come from? Years ago an old timer told me up at Bellows Falls Vt. "You can do that with a K4 but trying it on an engine without power reverse gear and it will break your arm and or dislocate your shoulder. Mayby bust the rev. gear too.

vince

I had basically the same results on the fan trip. I'll try to make the trip with a couple of different engines over the next few days. Will be interesting to have some comparisons.

#23 User is offline   SD45T-2 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR, Trainz, and Misc. Sims.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:54 AM

If I remember correctly, I worked the engine rather hard. 75% cutoff, adjusting the throttle as needed. I did bring the cutoff down a bit, but never below 50%. I built up speed before the curve, and I think I was doing approx. 40.

Edit: How much New York Central trackage is in the route? I've put myself into an interesting conundrum. Almost all of the payware I've acquired over the years is either in the classic diesel era, out west, or both. The only 1950s Northeastern pack I have is TA's American Classics. (In fact, it was my first piece of payware, bought in 2005. That, and the 3DTrains ATSF E8Am set.

I really want to let those engines roam around.

#24 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

Having fun upgrading PRR E7s.

I felt it necessary to move these 2008 vintage BLW/ZT E7s to something more OR worthy (though admittedly not taking advantage of all OR has to offer).

I do love 8 exhaust plumes though!

Original 2008 version:

Attached Image: before.JPG

2019 version (2048x2048 textures and more 'parts'. Be sure to zoom in to see the screening on the air vents :sweatingbullets::) ):

Attached Image: after.JPG

Have all six of the original PRR E7s done, will tackle the E8's next!

#25 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

Beautiful Rick! Is there any chance we could see a DGLE variant of some Es? I do like that paint.

Dittos on the Thank-Yous to Vince! I am very much enjoying this version of the Eastern Region.

#26 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

View PostFleegle411, on 22 April 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Beautiful Rick! Is there any chance we could see a DGLE variant of some Es? I do like that paint.

Short answer, yep!

I'm going to go through all of the motive power on PRR set 1 (Tuscan E7, E8 and PA) but will also update PRR set 3 (DGLE versions of those three)

#27 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

Another example of more research and more modeling! Found a great article in "The Keystone Modeler" on the Walther's/Proto 2000 PRR E-units, so I've created both Phase 1 and Phase 2 E7's. Switching to 2048x2048 textures has really helped with screening on the roof and side vents.

Phase 1 (original windows and radiator)

Attached Image: Phase1.JPG

Phase 2 (Fewer windows move vents and reworked radiators)

Attached Image: Phase2.JPG

#28 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

Rick, what years would these E7 paint schemes and models fit?

#29 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 27 April 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Rick, what years would these E7 paint schemes and models fit?

Hi Dave,

Here's what I've been able to deduce from the article in "The Keystone". All E7s, PAs and E8s through 1951 were delivered in DGLE. In 1952, PRR instructed EMD to deliver 4 of the 24 E8s ordered in 1952 to be painted Tuscan red specifically for the Broadway Limited (basically 2 4500 HP sets). The red four (5789A-5792A) were delivered in May of 1952, the remainder of the order delivered in DGLE. Based on the public acceptance of Tuscan Diesels, and edict went out in July 1952 that all passenger diesels should be painted Tuscan red. This took roughly until the end of 1953....

So, AFTER 1953 for the my E7s.

Reading further in the article, the 'Phase II' E7 changes, which involved removing some of the windows, adding more carbody vents, and replacing the radiator 'fins' on the roof with open grates for better airflow took place "on or before the E7s were repainted Tuscan red"....

Soooo... I will still have a Phase 1 model, it's just not appropriate for this set.

I'll use it when I update the DGLE set.

#30 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

View Postrfranzosa, on 27 April 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Hi Dave,

Here's what I've been able to deduce from the article in "The Keystone". All E7s, PAs and E8s through 1951 were delivered in DGLE. In 1952, PRR instructed EMD to deliver 4 of the 24 E8s ordered in 1952 to be painted Tuscan red specifically for the Broadway Limited (basically 2 4500 HP sets). The red four (5789A-5792A) were delivered in May of 1952, the remainder of the order delivered in DGLE. Based on the public acceptance of Tuscan Diesels, and edict went out in July 1952 that all passenger diesels should be painted Tuscan red. This took roughly until the end of 1953....

So, AFTER 1953 for the my E7s.

Reading further in the article, the 'Phase II' E7 changes, which involved removing some of the windows, adding more carbody vents, and replacing the radiator 'fins' on the roof with open grates for better airflow took place "on or before the E7s were repainted Tuscan red"....

Soooo... I will still have a Phase 1 model, it's just not appropriate for this set.

I'll use it when I update the DGLE set.

Found this on the paint schemes

Before 8-1952 - Dark Green with Gold Leaf lettering and striping. Five stripes.

8-1952 to 6-1953 - Tuscan Red with Buff lettering and striping. Five stripes. Keystone on front contained unit number. Unit number at front was 8" high. Unit number at rear was 1 3/4" high. Striping ran across window glass.

6-1953 to 9-1953 - Tuscan Red with Buff lettering and striping. Five stripes. Keystone on front contained PRR monogram. Unit number at front was 9" high. Unit number at rear was 8" high. Striping ran across window glass.

9-1953 to 11-1955 - Tuscan Red with Buff lettering and striping. Five stripes. Keystone on front contained PRR monogram. Unit number at front was 9" high. Unit number at rear was 8" high. No striping across window glass.

After 11-1955 - Tuscan Red with Buff lettering and striping. One broad stripe with shadow keystone.

I've seen later liveries with no stripe and no lettering, just 2 large PRR keystones on the sides, with larger numbers at the end. Not sure when these changes took place

BASED ON ALL OF THIS:

My set is in late 1955

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users