Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flickering Vegetation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   drjayyyy 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Hello .On all routes some vegetation has a flickering effect. I'm running the latest version of ORTS/Monogame with the latest version of reshade. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:06 AM

This has been noted in many threads here and at TS, search flickering or shimmering...in some cases the users video card is the culprit, also can be traced to how the route is constructed ( I'm not too helpful here, I know, not being a route builder). More documentation on your part would be helpful, short video posted on Utoob or the OR log.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:13 AM

I believe there was a post - maybe by scottb613 - that indicated that the problem is arising when a specific type of alpha channel was selected for the texture. Changing that solved the problem.

#4 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

Hi Folks,

Yep - there are two types of issues that arise with vegetation that I’m aware of - through no fault of ORTS... Sparkling or twinkling vegetation - which is caused by either bad or missing “mipmaps” for the texture... The second - is when “object instancing” in ORTS is turned on and you have a large quantity of repeating textures - such as ROW side vegetation - you would get all the textures flashing in and out in unison as far as they eye can see... What I found to fix this - is you need to convert these textures to DXT1 format which has a binary alpha channel that only provides transparency... Whenever I used DXT3 or DXT5 which supports a greyscale Alpha (Translucency) - nothing I tried stopped the flashing... Unfortunately - either issue requires work on the part of the end user to fix - you need to identify and locate the textures - then modify them using AceIt or some other graphics program... It’s worth the effort because either issue can ruin the entire sim experience...

Oh - and a third - the dreaded cruciform floating in the air above the vegetation - which is just inherent in the texture - the edges wrap a row or two of pixels to the opposite side as an artifact - which is cured by adding a couple of alpha blanking rows/columns to blank out the edges of the texture... I usually just border the vegetation texture with three pixel alpha edges...

Regards,
Scott

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users