• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Something wrong with Bala Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

Hi Dennis, I have modified in the meantime my above post with further comments.
I attach here the good old working copy (1024 sound sources max)
Attached File  OpenAL32.zip (229.6K)
Number of downloads: 278
Unzipping it in Windows/System32 (be it on a 32bit or on a 64 bit system) leads to a working, temporary solution (at least on my computer).
Repeating what I have written above, I don't know if gpz has changed other parameters for the OR version of the .dll, so IMHO it would be better to revert the change, contact gpz to know what he did with OpenRails32.dll, and only after having got the answers provide the link to a suitable release of the .dll.

#22 User is offline   mbm_OR 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

Hi,

It is not a good idea for users to have to generate the correct OpenAL32 version.
Before the modification there was no problem, we should avoid worrying the end user. All this could generate unnecessary reports.
Maybe OR could generate the two different 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
It's my thought.

Regards,
Mauricio

#23 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:57 AM

I have put it to system and or folder and right now it's working. I have 7 64Bit and I put it to system32.

#24 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

View Postmbm_OR, on 09 April 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

Hi,

It is not a good idea for users to have to generate the correct OpenAL32 version.
Before the modification there was no problem, we should avoid worrying the end user. All this could generate unnecessary reports.
Maybe OR could generate the two different 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
It's my thought.

Regards,
Mauricio

neither should a user have to generate an correct OpenAL version, nor should OR have to maintain that code and generate these binaries - therefore we've been aiming to use the standard version of OpenAL but make it work in the context of both 32- and 64bit. Unfortunately this area is very weakly documented, and while some versions run, there are limitations hit on other system which we are trying to work out now.

The modification is only available in the experimental(unstable) version so far, which is exactly the place to test such changes on different systems and routes with help of the broader community. Anyone using unstable versions, should be aware that things may still break, and such errors help to iron out the issues, working towards the next stable version:) (and thanks for testing and reporting bugs)

Btw, no one will need to copy things to system folders, that's why we tried to rely on out-of-the-box installers which are aware and can deal with System32 and SysWoW64 folder correctly. If the installer doesn't really help, like it looks here now with OpenAL, we'll only distribute files as part of the OR folder. Subsequently, it should be sufficient to place binaries into the OR folder as indicated earlier in this thread, otherwise you may mess up your system copying files in wrong locations.

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:12 AM

Steffen,
what you say is OK if an off-the-shelf version of OpenAl32.dll is found that manages 1024 sound sources. Else, an OR-specific version will continue to be needed. And, if you don't want to contact gpz, I'll do it, hoping in a reply.

#26 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

Can this change override the need of the alsoft.ini file that is copied to /username/AppData/Roaming?

#27 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:02 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 09 April 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

what you say is OK if an off-the-shelf version of OpenAl32.dll is found that manages 1024 sound sources. Else, an OR-specific version will continue to be needed.

View Postedwardk, on 09 April 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

Can this change override the need of the alsoft.ini file that is copied to /username/AppData/Roaming?

I think the question now is, whether we want to maintain and build a custom version of OpenAL which hard codes a larger number of sound sources (the way gpz did), or we use an off-the-shelf version, which can externally be configured for the same setting through alsoft.ini file in /username/AppData/Roaming, and if necessary create a default ini file in that place. I'd lean towards latter, but open for input.
If someone wonders why we need a new version, this is because we want to enable 64bit version of OR as well. The current homebrew version of OpenAL is 32bit only, while the "official" versions are available in both 32bit and 64bit. As discovered through this thread, documentation on OpenAL is a bit weak, and some of the newer versions of AL seem to have other issues also (ie. stuttering).

#28 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:26 PM

Thanks to extensive support from Dennis and Carlo, changes have been implemented and merged into OR code base.
They are available now through the experimental (unstable) channel from X1.3.1-50.
Would be great if anyone who's experienced this issue recently, is updating to the latest experimental version to test and give feedback.

#29 User is offline   Fablok 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

Can't test. this error pops up after start. Even log is not created.

https://zapodaj.net/images/daf31fedbe574.jpg

#30 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

You have my support Janek and not to worry about spelling and composition.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_rockon.gif
Regards,
vince

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users