• You cannot reply to this topic

Instrument Light cabcontrol inside 2D/ 3D Cabview Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   IndraSkar 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Openrail

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

Hello expert / developers...
here i`m trying to make instrument light / gauge light inside my newly made 2D cabview; and its works like a dream.
but due to absence of a particular cabcontrol i have to manage this using "CAB_RADIO"; so is this possible to make a new cabcontrol named like- "INSTRUMENT_LIGHT"?
video link
https://youtu.be/Xqxyjv82N2U

#2 User is offline   Coolhand101 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:28 PM

I was tinkering on this idea but gave up as the needles/pointers cannot be controlled by this method.

Thinking about it, there will be no need for a dedicated night cab if meter/instrument lights are implemented say using a cab folder called "instrument Light". Or still retain the night cab folder( for user preference ) and add the instrument Light folder!

Atm, I'm 99% sure that tunnels require the night cab folder for darkening of the cab, but again, this could be obsolete if tunnels fade the cab as when at night without a night cab texture.

Is this on the Trello roadmap?. If not, you can also request it from there.

Thanks

#3 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

Dealing with gauges would be as simple as having the needles exist as children of a dummy that is tagged as the needle. The needles would then be positioned so that one is in the proper place, and the other is hidden inside the console, and then animated to swap positions depending on the position of the switch. One needle would be lit, the other would be unlit. I suppose a way of tagging the parts to use a separate texture folder would work just as well though.

I would suggest, however, that it would be better to add the ability to use some sort of additive lightmap. Why? Because using the light in anything other than full dark will look as awkward as the change to night textures at dusk. The system of swapping entire texture sets for night effects is critically flawed in that it only works if you never operate at twilight.

Actually, now that I think of it, a lot of those problems could be mitigated if we could tag certain parts of a mesh to use night/light textures while leaving other parts alone. That might be a workable compromise.

#4 User is offline   IndraSkar 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Openrail

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:05 AM

View PostCoolhand101, on 01 April 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

I was tinkering on this idea but gave up as the needles/pointers cannot be controlled by this method.

Thinking about it, there will be no need for a dedicated night cab if meter/instrument lights are implemented say using a cab folder called "instrument Light". Or still retain the night cab folder( for user preference ) and add the instrument Light folder!

Atm, I'm 99% sure that tunnels require the night cab folder for darkening of the cab, but again, this could be obsolete if tunnels fade the cab as when at night without a night cab texture.

Is this on the Trello roadmap?. If not, you can also request it from there.

Thanks

Yeah, the needle/pointer is an issue..but i have tried to well hidden these pointer at NIGHT time,and the pointer get visible only when instrument light or cablight or both are ON position.
Thanks for your suggestion...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users