• You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Physics - Maybe It's a Bug ? Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Hi Scott

Here is a third efficiency curve for the same locomotive as the two earlier ones. This one gives a much closer correlation between, grate size, max firing rate and grate limit, remember that making the curve shallower increases the grate limit. I have found that if you divide the max firing rate by the grate area, you get a ballpark figure for grate limit, seems that the larger the grate the lower this figure gets which probably accounts for the wide wooton boxes of the anthracite roads.

Curve C ORTSBoilerEfficiency ( 0.0 0.98 24.0 0.92 36.0 0.86 48.0 0.80 62.0 0.74 74.0 0.68 86.0 0.62 98.0 0.56 110.0 0.50 )

Provided that the grate limit is not exceeded this one will maintain a boiler efficiency of between 60 and 70% and allows my test locomotive to exceed 100MPH with a relatively light test train. You will most probably have to alter the x figures to allow for the higher firing rates in the US.

Looking back over this thread I think you need to slightly alter your test method. You need a long enough length of level-ish track to get up to and maintain track speed with the consist before hitting the hill. You need this to establish the basic efficiency curve without hitting but being close to the grate limit which will kick in once the engine starts to lug the load uphill. Once the grate limit is hit the heat will slowly be taken out of the boiler and eventually pressure will start to drop at which point you have a choice, continue as is and hope you make it over the hill, or reduce the demand on the boiler and slow the rate of progress.

#42 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:48 AM

Hi Copperpen,

Thanks once again - sir - looks like I have some new values to test this weekend... Sounds good on the testing scenario as well - understood - I'll see what I can do (after I figure out how to see the Steam HUD)... Much obliged...
:thumbup3:

Regards,
Scott

#43 User is offline   Woodfyr 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:47 AM

View Postscottb613, on 29 March 2019 - 02:48 AM, said:

Hi Copperpen,

Thanks once again - sir - looks like I have some new values to test this weekend... Sounds good on the testing scenario as well - understood - I'll see what I can do (after I figure out how to see the Steam HUD)... Much obliged...
:thumbup3:

Regards,
Scott

While the initial HUB (F5) is up, hit Control +F. That will add 2 more lines: Boiler Water Level and Fire mass. For what its worth.

#44 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

If you want the full steam Hud, F5 for the first page which is the minihud, then Shift F5 twice to get to the locomotive page.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users