• You cannot reply to this topic

Question about object type Siding. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

Where is the data for the length of a siding name kept? I've looked at the world and .tdb files and I do not see anything obvious that asserts siding X is 75m long, yet clearly it is defined that way in TSRE and retains that definition from one editing session to another.

I ask because there is another program that uses this information and it is not displaying the siding length properly. I'd like to submit a bug report about it and would very much like to include some information about where he should be looking for the facts.

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is online   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:28 AM

Each siding and platform is defined through 2 entries in the .tdb and .tit file - start and end marker.
Both entries have a TrItemSData and TrItemRData.
The TrItemRData is the actual position (x, y, z, tile-x, tile-y).
The TrItemSData is the relative position w.r.t. start of tracksection in which the item is located.

The lenght of the siding or platform can be derived from either data.

For a while, there has been an error in TSRE. The TrItemRData for an entry was not updated if that marker was moved. The TrItemSData was correctly updated. As a result, the TrItemRData for each siding and platform item was always stuck at the original placement position.
This error did not affect OR itself as that uses TRItemSData. It did, however, affect programs like the Path Editor as that uses the TrItemRData to show the siding or platform. As a result, these are now shown in the incorrect (original) position.

If the other program which shows the incorrect length uses the TRItemRData, that program is not to blame - that is the information as held in the (incorrect) data created by TSRE.

The error in TSRE has been corrected a few weeks ago.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:44 AM

Yes. Error was reported and corrected. Use always new version:
http://www.onrails.e...ic.php?f=7&t=55

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Rob, now I understand what I'm looking at.

I am using version 0.6973.

Goku, the About window does not display the version... it would be nice if it did. For the program, it would be very useful if you could add to the View menu a function to turn on/off the display of the siding name text.

Now that I think I understand the data I can say it looks correct in both the .tit and .tdb files.

In the .tit file I see this (the .tdb has the same data):

SidingItem (
		TrItemId ( 0 )
		TrItemSData ( 121 00000002 )
		TrItemRData ( 501.70282 180 -959.40448 -11539 14424 )
		SidingTrItemData ( 00000000 1 )
		SidingName ( "Burhop Paper" )
	)
	SidingItem (
		TrItemId ( 1 )
		TrItemSData ( 156.53993 00000002 )
		TrItemRData ( 499.73132 180 -959.06805 -11539 14424 )
		SidingTrItemData ( ffff0000 0 )
		SidingName ( "Burhop Paper" )
	)

Over in the world file I see this:
	Siding (
		UiD ( 2229 )
		SidingData ( 00000000 )
		TrItemId ( 0 0 )
		TrItemId ( 0 1 )
		StaticFlags ( 00000100 )
		Position ( 500.718 180 -959.231 )
		QDirection ( 0 0 0 1 )
		VDbId ( 4294967295 )
	)

TSRE shows the siding has been stretched out and records a distance (35m: 156.5-121), so that too looks correct:
Attached File  tit.jpg (142.19K)
Number of downloads: 1

OTOH, using the above data Contrib.trackviewer shows the siding name but the icons representing the siding length are incorrect, remaining unstretched. Other routes have correct siding lengths so either I have done something wrong (quite possible) or there is something in the data that I still do not understand (also quite possible).

Suggestions?

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

You have to resize the siding in TSRE to update wrong TrItemRData data. Now it contains only 2m length siding.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostGoku, on 23 March 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

You have to resize the siding in TSRE to update wrong TrItemRData data. Now it contains only 2m length siding.

I only used TSRE for this.

Just to be sure, right before posting I downloaded another copy of TSRE and installed it. Then I ran TSRE and pushed the marker around so the length was different. Then saved. The .tit file was changed but it appears the distance between the two TRItemId's remains 2m. However, just a few minutes ago I created new sidings and that data is correct... and i edited an existing siding definition and the two TRItemId's remain at 2m, so it appears the add function is correct but the edit function is still wrong.

Is there some other test I should try?

I am using TSRE5_v0.6973.exe and in the properties window it says 0.697. dated March 3, 2019; The version I was using when I created the siding data also had a properties version of 0.697 but it was dated Feb 16, 2019.

#7 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

The latest version of TSRE is TSRE5_v0.6974.exe available here http://koniec.org/ts...RE5_v0.6974.exe

#8 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:23 PM

View Postxavivilla, on 23 March 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

The latest version of TSRE is TSRE5_v0.6974.exe available here http://koniec.org/ts...RE5_v0.6974.exe

Thanks. I downloaded and installed that. This time the idiots did appear in the .tit file but to get everything correct I had to move both ends of the siding.

Having siding names in the navigator window was very helpful.

Two suggestions come to mind: A function to turn on/off a display of the siding names and a function tied to adding/editing sidings that had (1) it's own unique cursor and (2) only selected siding handles. Too many times I grabbed and moved track shapes. When I was a young adult I had 20:10 vision (clear resolution of objects at 2X the distance of an average persons sight). 40 years later I can barely read a newspaper with my glasses on. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one around here with less than ideal sight and so every little bit in the software to minimize selection errors is most welcome.

:sign_thanks:
Thanks to all who helped.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users