#21 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:38 AM

View Postscottb613, on 16 April 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

Hi Dave,

That does sound easy for LOD's - for us - we simply copy the model and have to adhere to a few steadfast rules to prevent issues with the shape for each subsequent LOD - each LOD has to contain the exact same number of groups as the parent and each group must have at least one face left for each texture used in the parent... The deletes are a manual and tedious process for best results - there is an auto process that has no user defined parameters so it leaves much to be desired...

Regards,
Scott

I have been using SU for so long now I've forgetten everything I knew about TSM and 3DCrafter... so if i express some ignorance about them, that's why.

AFAIK what you describe above is NOT an issue in SU. I don't know if the SU uses some secret sauce or is just better designed, but I know I have set LOD distance values and then not used them... with no ill effect. As for the rest of what you described, that is all news to me... never have I had any such consideration when assigning LOD's.

That's not to say SU exporting is a panacea (tho setting LOD's is), just that the ordeals you guys using other 3dmodeler software routinely describe are a total non issue in SU.

#22 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

View Postscottb613, on 22 April 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

Yeah - I'm a Steam guy - so I need some format that will retain the animations - reanimating a steam locomotive's running gear - is not something you want to do twice on the same model - or just for fun - LOL...

Scott...on several occasions I have lifted the animation code for one model and dumped it into another..by text editing the shapefile. This saves having to do the same thing twice. In your case you have to be darn/m sure that you do not move the model once you decide to do this as the coordinates will be "off"!

Want I meant with a simpler model was not an engine or anything like that. I meant a model that goes beyond 2800 polys that Richards exporter chops up. Something as simple as a cube will do it, just keep on subdividing till it has a bunch of polygons, that is real easy to do.
Steve

#23 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:31 AM

Afternoon all!

I was wondering if it would be to troublesome to use the ".geopcdx" file format as a supplement to the ".s" file, as we have the tools to convert from ".igs" to ".geopcdx", basically, the way of creating content for Railworks is almost identical to the one that we use for Open Rails (except in naming the objects in the 3d scene, which this isn't really a problem as what you only need to do, is rename files and then export).

Would this be possible? .Geopcdx already supports animations and lods.

#24 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:00 AM

There is a previous threat on .geopcdx:
http://www.elvastowe...pcdx-igs-files/
In summary: some elders of the community advise against it.

#25 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:41 AM

Well, it's been 5 years since that post (which I had forgotten too) :sweatingbullets: I don't know, the file is there, the conversion system is there too... Maybe try? Wished that I wasn't that bad with programming...

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users