• You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS Steam Physics Sanity Check ? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:56 AM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the insights - yeah - the value for Anthracite (ORTSFuelCalorific ( 12500btu/lb ) - I did find on a website where the poster claimed to be a some type of researcher for scientific study - seemed credible... The more I poke around - other sources claim 13000 to 15000... I always thought Anthracite was low quality coal - actually it seems it's the better quality - lol - TS educating me on coal - too funny...

I'll post an update here when I get some time to test my new config over the weekend...

Oh - anyone know how many brake cylinders a steam locomotive typically has ?

Thanks one and all !!!
:)

Regards,
Scott

#12 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:23 AM

View Postscottb613, on 19 March 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

Hi Folks,

Oh - for the record - she’s an Anthraciite burner which is refelected in the fuel value I provided - but could such a large grate area skew the results of the generic steam model ? One RW comment I did come across was “they tended to be a bit short on steam when climbing long steep grades”... The model - as I have it defined above seems to have a vast surplus of steam no matter how sloppy I am with the reverser while driving it... I did play with adjusting the “boiler volume” in another test eng file - then I came across your note mentioning boiler volume has little effect on the ORTS model - I suspect the “boiler efficiency” may be a better way to manipulate this - yet I have no RW data to populate it...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

One way to model running short of steam is to make the boiler evaporation area smaller, it does have an effect on generation versus usage. You could also play with the grate area, reducing this would have an effect on heat produced and therefore steam production rate. You can use ORTSBoiler-EvaporationRate to reduce the rate.

#13 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:56 AM

Hi Copperpen,

Yeah - I see the "Advanced Settings" seem to be a way to override the default model when you have known data or attempting to achieve a specific result... I'll have to play with it when I have some time with the sim - I noticed the evaporation rates setting is between (10.0-15.0)...

While I followed the steam model development effort discussions with great interest - much of what was stated was above my pay grade... That said - the physics model is what keeps me firmly entrenched with ORTS - so I like to do the best I can with it - especially since a steam locomotive takes me hundreds of hours to create...

As always - greatly appreciate the help...

Regards,
Scott

#14 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

Hi Folks,

Just a great image link to - The Beast - for reference:

http://archives.anthraciterailroads.org/Images/20151018_073928.jpg

Regards,
Scott