• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turntable Enhancements? Paths and Directions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

I operate steam and motor cars out of a roundhouse. The roundhouse has seven stalls and the roundhouse's turntable has two approach leads/ready tracks. Stalls 1-5 are steam loco stalls and stalls 6 & 7 are for Motors (Galloping Geese). Looks like this:
Attached Image: It ends like this.jpg

I want to build an activity with Motor 5 backing out onto the turntable, turning to the easternmost ready track so I can go to the fuel tower over there on the right and gas up, then back out to the mainline, forward down to the depot and thence out on the line to Durango. I can't, for the life of me figure out how to build a path off that turntable unless it is off a straight across track.

Is there a way? If not, is anyone working on one? I know I could put the Goose in stall 3 or 4 but I don't wish to do that. That's why the railroad has stalls 5 and 6.

Further, one problem with the turntables and it's nothing that is broken per se. Every time you turn an engine on the table it reverses the world. Your rear end is now the front and your front end becomes the rear because the pre-selected 'path' goes -> that way. Just because your engine now points <- this way doesn't mean that ORTS's path should have to. The two view is now the three view and the three view is now the two view. Switches ahead are behind you and switches behind are ahead of you. Very aggravating, not to mention confusing when you go to switch cars around.

Is there any thought for OR to have a way to reverse the path direction with a keyboard stroke so that someone could reverse the path after the turntable unexpectedly reverses your direction? or is there any way to stop the table from reversing the engine. In the above screen cap, if I back the 40 out of stall 5 (right to left, 1 thru 7) and go on the table then align the turntable with ready track No 1 (left track in the lower left of the picture) without turning the engine, the software flips the ends of my loco and the pointy end is the rear and the square end is the front. Makes me crazy(er). :ko2: :bigboss:

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:39 AM

Hi Herb,
re building the path: no, actually there isn't a way to build a path like you desire. I know this is a problem, but I haven't found an easy solution for that, and by the way path building occurs outside of OR and would probably require a change into TrackViewer. The only tricky way to assign a path to your loco, after having turned it at an angle different from 180 or 360 degrees on the turntable, is to attach the loco to a waiting AI train (could be also a ghost consist) and to take control of it.

#3 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Carlo, and of course you are right, the path building and reverse points and all of that are functions of MSTS AE and not OR. Too bad that really. But what about the reversal of "train" direction once the turntable has reversed it? Could that function be possible? Not to reverse the entire path but to flip the game's rather artificial direction - "Train Front" "Train Rear." I'd really like the front of my engine to remain the front, if at all possible. :bigboss:

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

I believe I have solved the problem of the nasty train flippings at the end of turntable rotation.
Herb, could you test that? It is implemented in the latest OR MG version, see here
http://www.elvastowe...post__p__246084

If everything is OK I'll ask to insert it also in the official OR version.

#5 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

Yes! :sign_thanks: :thumbup3: :clapping:

It would appear that this has solved the problem. I'm still testing but it looks good. I still pops up a message saying "Forward Connected" or "Backward Connected" but the engine still has it's front and rear in the right places.

This is working great on the Ridgway turntable. Now I want to go check out Durango. :bigboss:

#6 User is offline   lineman 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Train Simulator

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

Works on the USA_NJC V1.5 turntable, used this TT yesterday in OR and the engine did it's flip-flop thing. This is a great improvement!

#7 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

Big thank you to me (pats himself on the back for bringing it up), and a Great Big :sign_thanks: for Carlo, who seems to always get it right. :bigboss:

2-View going on the table facing north:
Attached Image: 2-View going on the table.jpg

2-View coming off the table facing south:
Attached Image: 2-View leaving the table.jpg

Carlo, please let us know when the new changes are added to the main release.

Ps: Didn't Derek Miller do an awesome job on the Durango roundhouse and turntable? :D

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:17 AM

That's good, thanks for testing! I have issued the requests to have this into the official OR version.

Yes, that yard looks very western!

#9 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

Just a question - which route is that and where is it available?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

PS. I seem to be pretty good in picking up these rogue attachments - and I cannot remove them : "Action failed".
Ah well, never mind.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2019-02-25 07-19-09.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2019-02-25 07-22-30.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2019-02-25 07-23-57.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2019-02-25 07-27-34.jpg

#10 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

That's my RGS route and it will be available here at ET very soon. :D