Elvas Tower: Start timetable in 'paused' mode - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Start timetable in 'paused' mode Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

Hello all,

starting a timetable can sometimes take a lot of time, depending on start time of the selected train, the total number of trains preceding this, and the size of the route.
At present, the user must wait during this process and react immediately when the program starts otherwise he may delay the start of the train. This can be a bit of a nuisance and a waste of time.
I would therefor like to propose to start the timetable in paused mode. So when started, the program will wait for the user to activate the actual running. The normal 'pause/quite/save' window will pop up on start.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

I agree, and think the same could be applicable to activity mode. There are activities which require quite much time to be loaded (I'm thinking e.g. at some MEP activities). By the way this suggests the player to save the game at game start, therefore sparing much time if he plays the activity again (if the save remains valid).

#3 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:10 AM

Hi Rob!
This proposal would be very welcome. Thank you for continuing to develop timetables.
I expect you have already also considered a fast forward for the player. I mention this because my historical timetable has long pauses quaintly named "engine requirements". You can`t speed up OR (+ -) because the AI lags behind. So it would be helpful to run the AI up to the next event in the player timetable.
thanks, rick

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 06 February 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

I agree, and think the same could be applicable to activity mode. There are activities which require quite much time to be loaded (I'm thinking e.g. at some MEP activities). By the way this suggests the player to save the game at game start, therefore sparing much time if he plays the activity again (if the save remains valid).

No problem to set this up for activities as well, it's the same method call with just 'true' or 'false' as parameter.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

View Postroeter, on 05 February 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

starting a timetable can sometimes take a lot of time, depending on start time of the selected train, the total number of trains preceding this, and the size of the route.
At present, the user must wait during this process and react immediately when the program starts otherwise he may delay the start of the train. This can be a bit of a nuisance and a waste of time.
I would therefor like to propose to start the timetable in paused mode. So when started, the program will wait for the user to activate the actual running. The normal 'pause/quite/save' window will pop up on start.

Seems like a sensible idea, and in fact I'd suggest we do it for all modes (explore, activity, timetable) although perhaps with an option to turn off. MSTS starts activities paused with the briefing open, so that could also be integrated if people agree (obviously only applies to activities).

#6 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

What about resume? Should that start in paused state as well?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#7 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

View Postroeter, on 07 February 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

What about resume? Should that start in paused state as well?

That would make sense. I think the replay function even has an option already to pause at the end of the replay, making this fit in even better.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users