Elvas Tower: Cameras 2 and 3 moving along train - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cameras 2 and 3 moving along train Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

With commands Shift-Alt-7(Numpad) and Shift-Alt-1(Numpad) cameras 2 or 3 move gently forward or backward along a stopped or moving train. By pressing a second time the key sequence the motion stops. The usual commands for cameras 2 and 3 remain all available. The new commands are integrated with the already available ones (if e.g. you move with these commands and then press the keys to point to next car, the browsing position is considered and vice-versa).
The feature may be tested in the current OR NewYear MG, downloadable from here http://www.interazio..._NewYear_MG.zip .
Blueprint https://blueprints.l...-browsing-train
Trello box (vote if interested) https://trello.com/c...-browsing-train

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:23 PM

Carlo, seeing as you are dabbling with camera issues, would you talk w/ Chris about camera sets? He said he started on those but it seems other priorities have taken over. IMO everything new for cameras should be in the context of camera sets and their camfig values.

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:20 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 01 February 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

With commands Shift-Alt-7(Numpad) and Shift-Alt-1(Numpad) cameras 2 or 3 move gently forward or backward along a stopped or moving train. By pressing a second time the key sequence the motion stops. The usual commands for cameras 2 and 3 remain all available. The new commands are integrated with the already available ones (if e.g. you move with these commands and then press the keys to point to next car, the browsing position is considered and vice-versa).
The feature may be tested in the current OR NewYear MG, downloadable from here http://www.interazio..._NewYear_MG.zip .
Blueprint https://blueprints.l...-browsing-train
Trello box (vote if interested) https://trello.com/c...-browsing-train

Hi Carlo,

Absolutely FANTASTIC addition - and a most welcome new perspective... The panning shots across the train look very good...

If you're working with cameras - one thing we really need - taking a page from P3D (Flight Sim) - the camera controls need weight and momentum associated with them (preferably user defined) - so we can make nice smooth panning shots... It would make the experience much better all around - as the camera is really our only interface with the virtual world - improvements should be relatively high priority...

I think one thing we need to do to recruit more members - as a community - is to post more videos showcasing ORTS looking the way it should - and good camera controls are part of that... I only started making videos for just that reason - the last time someone really took the time to do this in earnest was a year or two ago - and we've come along way since then...

Along those lines - I'd really like to have an option to stop having "Camera Label Confirmations" popup on screen - I know what camera I'm selecting - I don't need the dialog or the distraction... And it we could have "Control Confirmations" selectable from within the sim... This is so we can make better videos when desired - without exiting to setup the sim as needed...

Bravo Zulu - sir !!!
:)

Thanks for everything - and yes - I voted...

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:07 AM

Great idea! Can I offer a suggestion? Some of us really dislike the fact that the #2 camera pivots about the front coupler, and the #3 camera pivots about the aft coupler. This function allows us to position the camera in the center of the equipment, and it will pivot about this position, like most games do, which is great - but if we switch cameras, we have to do it again. Is there any way to have the sim remember where, relative to the "focal" car, the camera stopped moving?

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:32 AM

View PostErickC, on 02 February 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

Is there any way to have the sim remember where, relative to the "focal" car, the camera stopped moving?

In the camfig spec I provided to Chris.

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

View Postscottb613, on 02 February 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

Along those lines - I'd really like to have an option to stop having "Camera Label Confirmations" popup on screen - I know what camera I'm selecting - I don't need the dialog or the distraction... And it we could have "Control Confirmations" selectable from within the sim... This is so we can make better videos when desired - without exiting to setup the sim as needed...

Done, look at the OR NewYear MG thread.
Thanks for appreciation!

View PostGenma Saotome, on 01 February 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Carlo, seeing as you are dabbling with camera issues, would you talk w/ Chris about camera sets? He said he started on those but it seems other priorities have taken over. IMO everything new for cameras should be in the context of camera sets and their camfig values.

When Chris will implement this, I foresee to follow his framework, but at the moment there is nothing visible.

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 02 February 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

When Chris will implement this, I foresee to follow his framework, but at the moment there is nothing visible.

Yeah... I understand. I've been asking for camera sets for, oh, maybe 8 years. IMO it has huge potential and here you are coding to the old style of camera management. It's not like there are dozens of coders these days... every hour you put in (and thank you for those) really counts as a percentage of the current effort.

#8 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

I have been asking for MSTS style cameras for a long time too. I'd like to also have the ability to walk around in the environment like they did in RTrainsim. My link And more here My link I think from clues we've all seen in the MSTS folders and hidden bits and pieces in some files, that Kuju/M$ had planned to offer the ability to walk around in the MSTS environment.

Robert

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

View PostSP 0-6-0, on 04 February 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

I have been asking for MSTS style cameras ...
Robert

Whenever I hear the phrase "MSTS style cameras" I immediately think "cumbersome and confining" because that's the way they seemed for the single month back in March, 2013 that I used MSTS, Perhaps I was missing something?
For a person, like myself, with little knowledge of MSTS, specifically...what does the phrase "MSTS style cameras" mean and why would they be an improvement over the range of cameras we have in OR ( how would they improve OR?)?
Run8 also has the ability to walk around in the environment.
I use free camera #8 for that purpose, it wasn't made for that, like the feature in Run8...So a "walk around" or inspection camera would be welcome.

#10 User is offline   SP 0-6-0 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/ORTS

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

It's just a reference point for someone like me who is native to the MSTS environment. ORTS camera is horrible to get used to. I concur the camera needs to be reset so the pivot is the middle of the loco or wagon. Being able to fully roam around on foot and also interact with the rolling stock would be a God send.

Robert

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users