Elvas Tower: Night texture problem in coaches - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Night texture problem in coaches NIGHT alternative not working Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

Hello everyone..!!! I am facing some problem regarding the NIGHT time view of coaches that I am currently making. Everything works perfectly fine in day. However even though I have defined the use of NIGHT textures through use of ESD_Alternative_Texture ( 256 ). The night textures aren't loaded and the coaches are pitch black at night. :( Oddly enough the previous locos I made used the same technique and it worked perfectly... :ko2:

This is copy of .sd file. I have made a folder named NIGHT inside the coaches folder. The texture are named same as their daytime counterparts. Everything seems fine however they still doesn't work.

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0t1t______
Shape ( LHB_AC2T.s
	ESD_Detail_Level ( 0 )
	ESD_Alternative_Texture ( 256 )
	ESD_Bounding_Box ( -1.523331 5.263686E-04 -10.47277 1.53731 4.418605 10.49477 )
)

And here is a screenshot of coaches at night. ON right is the loco which uses the same technique and works perfectly... :ko2:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4884/46862166382_c62a2b2371_o.pngnighttime, on Flickr

#2 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

Alternative texture 256 is an error. Use 257 instead..Here is a clip from my texture notes.

ESD_Alternative_Texture ( n )

Shapes can have a range of optional textures that are applied dependant on the time of day or the weather.

If n is 0 - The simplest option is to have one set of textures that is used all the time.

The object will be lit realistically, becoming darker at night as you would expect. The weather will have no effect.

If n is 1 - The object has two sets of textures, one in the standard texture directory and one in the snow subdirectory.

The snow textures will be used when the weather is appropriate. The object will be lit realistically, becoming darker at night as you would expect.

If n is 252 - The object has a texture for each of the seasons with and without snow. This is different from the simple snow texture, allowing more subtle variation by season. These textures should go in the subdirectories named by season, i.e. Autumn, AutumnSnow, Summer, SummerSnow, Winter and WinterSnow

If n is [257] (do not use 256) - The object has two sets of textures, one in the standard texture directory and one in the night subdirectory.

The night textures will be used when the sun sets, and when a night texture is in use the object will not be lit realistically. When night textures are applied the object is lit very brightly from all directions, so that parts of the texture that are light in colour will seem very bright at night. To make the object look realistic therefore, parts of the texture that would not be bright at night must be darkened.
regards,
vince

#3 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

Does 257 not also use a snow texture?

#4 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:38 PM

View Postdforrest, on 29 January 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

Does 257 not also use a snow texture?

Hi David,

I don't know. The documents I have don't say. Maybe there is info at the Steam4Me site?

That quote was lifted from the old MSTS Tech Docs that were distributed on the Install disks in 2001.

regards,
vince

#5 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

@vince

Hello.., Thanks would check & see if I get any results... :sign_thanks:

#6 User is offline   Hamza97 

• Engineer

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:24 AM

Hello. I checked by using 257 instead of 256 and still no result... Alas... :cray: Any other ideas...?? As the NIGHT feature is important for coaches too look good at night.... :help:

FWIW here is log file...

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (22.12K)
Number of downloads: 597

#7 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:43 AM

Can you make available one of your coaches for testing?

#8 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:00 AM

This may help clarifying the various "alternative texture" settings:

ESD 0 = no alternative textures, uses the same texture all the time.

ESD 1 = alternative snow texture, switches to that any time it's snowing.

ESD 252 = vegetation seasonal textures.

ESD 256 is supposed to be night texture with no snow texture, but it's buggy and causes errors when driven in snow. Unfortunately TSM defaults to ESD 256, and a lot of 3D modelers using TSM are unaware of the bug, so there are a lot of add on objects with ESD 256. Add on routes using those objects are going to have problems in the snow. Cure is opening the .sd file in wordpad and changing ESD 256 to ESD 0 once you find the culprits.

ESD 257 is alternative night or snow, since there is no \NightSnow folder or textures, ESD 257 has to make a decision between one or the other. In the daytime it uses the snow texture if it's snowing, at night it changes to the night texture.

#9 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:02 AM

This thread seems to assume that seasonal textures can be used for roiling stock. I was not aware that this was possible. How is it done? Where are the relevant seasonal shape files stored?

#10 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:34 AM

You might try using a fullbright or halfbright material for the car interior. You would need to render the lighting in such a way that it's lit at night, but still looks reasonably dark during the day, although, to be fair, this isn't terribly difficult, because what looks dark during the day can be atrociously bright at night.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users