• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Static Placement Error What's going on here? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:20 AM

Hello,

in trying to place static wagons in timetable mode I ran into a very curious but also very frustrating error.
I am using two test timetables.

Here is the extract for placement of the static consist (box car) in timetable 1 :
Attached Image: test1D.jpg

And this is the result (it's about the box car, ignore the loco) :
Attached Image: test1.jpg

Here is the extract for placement of this same consist (box car) at the same location in timetable 2 (yes, it is exactly the same):
Attached Image: test2D.jpg

And now this is the result (the box car again - but where is it ???? ) :
Attached Image: test2.jpg

:cry1: :wtf01: :wtf01: :thumbdown3: :ko2: :fyou2:

Can it be that somewhere some data is not properly reset and whatever happened to a previous train does affect the placement of this wagon?
But if this is not consistent and is more or less random depending on what happened before, that's going to be a real headache to find!
Any ideas? Don't even know where to start looking!

And by the way - it's not that the wagon is just in another location. The 'internal' train position data for the wagon in the second timetable is exactly the same as in the first - but the wagon is in a different location. The result of this is that attaching to this wagon will not work. The train trying to attach is completely confused as to where the wagon actually is, it expects this wagon in the location as shown for timetable 1 as that is what the train position data holds.
The problem only seems to occur in locations which are bounded by switches, it does not happen on locations with a 'dead end'.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:50 AM

Well, done some more tests and found out that it's not a placement error, but the boxcar is actually moving!
In the first test, the picture was taken right after the first train had started, so there was no 'pre-running'.
In the second test, the first train started earlier so there was some 'pre-running', and the wagon moved during this period.
I ran a third test which started yet later, and the boxcar was now even further down the track - beyond the switches at the end of the siding.

It sorts one problem but replaces it with another.
How can it be that a static consist is moving - and why is it's physical position changing but it's internal train position is not?
Those two positions should be firmly linked, but clearly they are not.

So, it's not the mystery I though it was but it's certainly still a mystery.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Is the track there level? If not, does a car string start with any handbrakes (or even air brakes) apllied? It doesn't account for the position not being updated, but it might account for the rolling away. In any case, I hope that route has some derails or that could get ugly...

#4 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:09 AM

If I'm not mistaken that track is on a 0.6 degree grade. So now OR has changed something so older model rolling stock has no brakes set when they are static consists, is that the problem?
Paul

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users