• You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion - Camera View Isolation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:48 AM

Hi Folks,

Just a suggestion... Years ago - I started making the Passenger View for steam locomotives - the primary driving view - and instead of attaching it to the locomotive - I attached it to the tender and positioned it in the Head Out position for the engineer. With the great vibrations ORTS brings to the table and the relative motion between the locomotive and tender - the movement induced in this setup adds GREATLY to the immersion factor. So my primary driving view is the Passenger View - the engineers Head Out view looks back at the train and the fireman's Head Out looks forward - so I can easily see both sides forward when needed and still have a view back at the train... Now this works very well for steam locomotives - except for the lack of relative motion on the fireman's side - because they almost always have a tender - not so much with anything else...

So - to my suggestion - would it be possible to isolate the camera in the Head Out positions - natively - so it's not affected by the ORTS vibrations - so you would then see the relative motion from your head position to the vibrating locomotive ? To see the locomotive show some relative movement in these views might add greatly to the experience in diesels as well ?

As always - just my two cents - please take it for what it's worth...

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

Some time ago I proposed camera sets... the idea being why be limited to 8 cameras? If you bind 8 cameras in a set you could have n sets and therefore n*8 cameras available. Only 8 would be available at any one time but switching from one set to another would make all available. We'd have multiple tracking sets, a set of 8 that works like the #4 camera, a set of 8 to replace the #1 camera (including heads out) and so on. I expect after a period of experimenting most folks would narrow things down to just a couple of sets they find most useful.

There would be a requirement for a camfig file holding all of the camera definitions. Taking in your idea I think it could be done quite simply by adding a Rocking(Y/N) to the camfig data. Set it to Y for any cameras inside the train, N for anything outside.

Chris Jakeman was working on this for a while but there has been no news of late.

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information - I understand ORTS developers are stretched pretty thin...

Since a picture is worth a thousand words - here's an illustration of the motion I'd like to see when driving anything in ORTS - and more views would be welcome as well... While I might not be the first - I felt like I discovered gold in them thar hills when I came up with this...

HEAD OUT MOTION
https://youtu.be/toA9hzbMuEU

Regards,
Scott

#4 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:10 AM

View Postscottb613, on 12 January 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

So - to my suggestion - would it be possible to isolate the camera in the Head Out positions - natively - so it's not affected by the ORTS vibrations - so you would then see the relative motion from your head position to the vibrating locomotive ? To see the locomotive show some relative movement in these views might add greatly to the experience in diesels as well ?

Yes, this is a good idea. I've taken the opportunity to update the roadmap to include all the camera and vibration-related changes I think we should make (camera 2/3 had already been suggested):

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users