• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR NewYear MG Rate Topic: ****- 4 Votes

#1651 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 August 2023 - 08:23 AM

View Postcharland, on 17 August 2023 - 05:00 AM, said:

Which file needs the ESD file changed to 512 for the rain textures? I installed 145 yesterday and am about to test a couple of activities, I can change them to rain and test the textures.

Paul :-)

charland,
Thans for wanting to test this.
For any shape you want to add a rain texture, you must add 512 to the ESD_Alternative_Texture within the .sd file of that shape.

#1652 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 17 August 2023 - 08:35 AM

OK thanks Carlo, I take it you would make the change for something like an engine or caboose.

I'm charging the air for an 11 car train. The engine and caboose already were fully charges. I'm only getting 5 L/s and at that rate it will take over an hour to charge a short train, much slower then the same train length in 141.

#1653 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:08 AM

charland,
you can apply also to engines and cabeese. You add 512 to the .sd file of the shapefile of the .eng or .wag file, add a Rain subfolder within the folder of the trainset and insert into it the relevant textures.

About brakes I don't know. I'm continuing aligning to the testing release, and to some features of the Unstable release about physics.

#1654 User is offline   ExRail 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:52 AM

Leaking breaks on my passenger consist but not on my freight, both with Vectron loco.
I just rollplayed a cold-start to departure and the breaks start having it's own life, sounding like a meditating Darth Wader, pulsating with 8psi on the brake cylinder ruining my play.

Passenger Consist: Carriage - CHAIN - Air_single_pipe
creating a new consist with other passenger cars with same couplings and brakes don't have a problem, very strange.

Looking at the two wag files the brake info are different.

Working ---------------------------
BrakeEquipmentType( "Handbrake, Graduate_release_Triple_valve, Auxilary_reservoir" )
BrakeSystemType( "Air_single_pipe" )
MaxBrakeForce( 20kN )

MaxHandbrakeForce( 21kN )
NumberOfHandbrakeLeverSteps( 100 )

TripleValveRatio( 2.53 )
MaxReleaseRate( 5 )
MaxApplicationRate( 10 )
MaxAuxilaryChargingRate( 5 )
EmergencyResCapacity( 7 )
EmergencyResChargingRate( 5 )
EmergencyBrakeResMaxPressure( 54 )
BrakeCylinderPressureForMaxBrakeBrakeForce( 54 )

vs.
Not Working -----------------------------------

BrakeEquipmentType( "Triple_valve, Auxilary_reservoir, Emergency_brake_reservoir" )
BrakeSystemType( "Air_single_pipe" )

MaxBrakeForce( 58.8kN )

EmergencyBrakeResMaxPressure( 75 )
TripleValveRatio( 2.5 )
MaxReleaseRate( 20 )
MaxApplicationRate( 20 )
MaxAuxilaryChargingRate( 30 )
EmergencyResCapacity( 10 )
EmergencyResChargingRate( 30 )
BrakeCylinderPressureForMaxBrakeBrakeForce( 50 )

Copy the working section over, made it work, no clue what it is that trigger the leak, but at least now it looks like I can drive the passenger consist I'm used to without problems.

#1655 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:50 AM

Charland,
if you have a free time slice, would you mind testing the brake pipe charging times with the preceding ORNYMG revision? (OR_NewYear_MG_oldrecent.zip, that is #144.1).

#1656 User is offline   pschlik 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails - Unstable

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:57 AM

I believe this problem would be caused by the combination of the insanely high aux res and emergency res charging rates (30 psi/s is completely unrealistic) interacting with the somewhat recent rework of emergency braking. In short, when the aux and emergency res try to charge up their pressure this quickly, they drop the brake pipe pressure very quickly too, and this quick drop in brake pipe pressure triggers an emergency application. Then the brake pipe pressure goes back up and the emergency application tries to release by charging the reserviors, and then the emergency application starts again. This will constantly use up air.

I already have a fix for this (making emergency applications trip only if the brake pipe pressure has a sustained decrease over a few fractions of a second, rather than tripping instantly). I'll submit that soon™.

#1657 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 17 August 2023 - 12:36 PM

Hi Carlo,
This morning when I was using 145 it took 30 minutes to charge the 11 car train to 37 psi when I gave up.

This afternoon I returned to using 141 and the same train took 12 minutes to get all cars to 80 psi if that helps any. I don't have 144.1 but I can get it. This is about an hour and a half into the activity so testing with the same train takes a while!

I'll have to test the rain textures this weekend.

Downloaded and installed 144.1

Using the same engine and caboose with fully charged brakes, coupled onto the same 11 cars (in between).

After 12 minutes of pumping air the cars are only up to 27 psi, about a third of what I need to move the train.

After 24 minutes of pumping air the cars were only at 40 psi, half of what I need to move the train.

I stopped at that.

#1658 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 August 2023 - 05:45 PM

View PostLaci1959, on 17 August 2023 - 02:54 AM, said:

Hello.

I haven't tried Texture/Rain and Terrtex/Rain yet due to the lack of texture. I can't paint a darker and more shiny texture. I'm always at war with pixels.

Laci, a simple solution is to use a good art tool to add a layer above the existing art that is black set to a 25% opacity. Export, make the .ace, drop it into the \rain folder. It darkens everything w/o obscuring anything. Works reasonably well hard surfaces (track and road shapes, most buildings, etc.). Turn off display of the rain layer when exporting for other situations.

I've been doing this for many years now but using the code for snow and dropping these textures into the \snow folder. Having a \rain folder too allows bnoth weather conditions to appear in a route.

It doesn't do any reflective gloss because that is a feature defined in the shape file and I am unaware of how one would accomplish this in the .s file w/o having it occur in all conditions.

#1659 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 August 2023 - 05:53 PM

I forget... A model could use night, rain, and snow textures so what is done when you have several alternative texture files available? Several ESD lines or just one with multiple number codes?

#1660 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 18 August 2023 - 12:17 AM

View Postcharland, on 17 August 2023 - 12:36 PM, said:

Hi Carlo,
This morning when I was using 145 it took 30 minutes to charge the 11 car train to 37 psi when I gave up.

This afternoon I returned to using 141 and the same train took 12 minutes to get all cars to 80 psi if that helps any. I don't have 144.1 but I can get it. This is about an hour and a half into the activity so testing with the same train takes a while!

I'll have to test the rain textures this weekend.

Downloaded and installed 144.1

Using the same engine and caboose with fully charged brakes, coupled onto the same 11 cars (in between).

After 12 minutes of pumping air the cars are only up to 27 psi, about a third of what I need to move the train.

After 24 minutes of pumping air the cars were only at 40 psi, half of what I need to move the train.

I stopped at that.

Thanks charland,
so the problem has arisen between 142 and 144.1.
In the meantime I have generated a patch with pschlick's correction. I attach it. It has to be applied to ORNYMG 145. charland, if your patience hasn't expired, you could have a try.
Attached File  Orts.Simulation.zip (1.01MB)
Number of downloads: 7

I have also done another, simpler test: I have started the actual Unstable release with the legacy consist dash9+50 chemical, and tested the time to load the brake pipe by releasing the brake. Then I have done the same test with 1.5.1. 1.5.1 is much faster in loading the brake pipe.

• 206 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users