Elvas Tower: transmission efficiency - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

transmission efficiency how does OR account for gross power vs. power at rail? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   plainsman 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR, MSTS, RS, Trainz

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

Has anything changed in the way OR uses gross power to account for transmission efficiency? In older versions, I know there was a loss of about 2% to account for loss in the traction motors, but that would still not account for all transmission loss. Translation loss of gross power at the rail, would be a total of about 6% in the best AC designs, to as much as 20% in some old first generation diesels. I am still adjusting my power value for transmission efficiency. If something has changed, then we need a specifiable parameter for transmission efficiency, as no general value will account for all types. If the program still uses gross power less about 2%, then it would be easy enough to adjust the gross power to power at the rail in the .eng file power parameter. I just need to know how it is currently implemented?

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

Knowing it was probably not very accurate I have been differentiating between Tractive HP and Gross HP, on the average adding about 100HP to the tractive HP

Comment ( Performance Ratings == Gross HP 4500 == Traction HP 4400
taken from the Dash9 OR standard engine file.
I did this because in the OR diesel engine block there is a line that specifically notes "MaximalPower" ... a peculiar word to use. It may have some technical meaning that I am not aware of.
For Maximal Power I use the Gross HP, the tractive HP is used to compute the ORTSMaxTractive Curves.
I know this does not answer your question ( it will probably take a developer with knowledge of that section of code ), but it's what I'm doing in practice until I know for sure how OR handles this. Interesting question.
While not on point .... I've also wondered if OR takes into account the gear ratio? Is there a default for all diesels...seems unlikely.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users