• You cannot reply to this topic

Edit names function Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

The ability to edit the file names of placed objects is good but it could be much better if the .tdb entry could be updated after changing the name of a road or track item.

Laying track or roads can be a very tedious process of trial and error. In the past one would delete whatever was there, search the list for a suitable replacement and try that, often deleting it and searching for another replacement. IOW if the most recent isn't correct, it's a sequence of delete, search, place, repeated as many times as needed.

TSRE's edit file name could change this to rename, save. One less step and often faster too -- most edits will be replacing only one or two numbers. The only problem right now is neither the yellow line or the thin black .tdb lines can be changed when you edit the name of a road or track shape -- at least as far as I can tell. If those could be updated by either Z key or the rename step the rename filename function would be really useful for getting the right track or road shape in place.

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:my own

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

This feature was made for a friend who wanted to use Dynatrax and dbtracks. The key feature is to edit 3d shape file name without modifying trackshape id and other original object data. Enabling trackshape info refresh after file name change would limit this feature only to using files that are already in global tsection.dat and destroy all other use cases including the most important case it was created for.

I think that for trying new tracks it's easier to just press delete and click to place new track, than copying the name, clicking for new name, pasting the text, clicking ok (and maybe selecting option "force new obj"). But of course you will be able to write a feature request with example use case when I'll be back in TSRE development and appropriate place for such requests will be available.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users