Elvas Tower: Monogame ExhaustColor is broken - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monogame ExhaustColor is broken RGB input is displayed as BGR! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:25 PM

I was trying to optimize particle emissions for a given engine when I bumped into a bug that took a long time to figure out what the cause was.

For reference please use this site:
https://html-color-codes.info/

Inside the engine file, under the ORTSDieselEngines section you can find an entry called:
ExhaustColor ()

The values that are used are poorly documented in the Open Rails manual, but lore and urban legend describe it as follows:
ExhaustColor (aa RR GG BB) where:
aa is the unused alpha channel value
RR is the red value, 00-FF
GG is the green value 00-FF
BB is the green value 00-FF

AFAIK, the dieselsmoke.ace MUST have color information for ExhaustColor () to work. In my case that is so.
In all versions of OpenRails using XNA that support ExhaustColor (), including today X4331 2018-12-26 17:58:14,
the displayed color conforms to HTML standards, aaRRGGBB.

After a lot of work, it was discovered that the values displayed ExhaustColor () in Monogame are not what they are in XNA. The culprit is that although the user can enter ExhaustColor (aaRRGGBB), what is actually displayed is ExhaustColor (aaBBGGRR)! I can only guess as to where the error lies, but the read in values at runtime are in reverse order.

As an example:
ExhaustColor ( 00F7FE2E ) yellow, is displayed in Monogame as ExhaustColor ( 002EFEF7 ) cyan....oops!?

I would assume that ExhaustTransientColor () also suffers from the same bug. I have not tested this, too late tonight!

Thank you for looking into this, I took me several hours to decipher what was going on, however simple the bug might seem.

Steve

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:45 AM

Can you point to a download link of an engine using the ORTSDieselEngines section?

In the meaantime I believe I found a significant typo error in the standard OR code.
This is the PrepareFrame method for the diesel exhaust within MSTSDieselLocomotiveViewer.cs
        public override void PrepareFrame(RenderFrame frame, ElapsedTime elapsedTime)
        {
            var car = this.Car as MSTSDieselLocomotive;

// Diesel exhaust
            var exhaustParticles = car.Train != null && car.Train.TrainType == Train.TRAINTYPE.STATIC ? 0 : car.ExhaustParticles.SmoothedValue;
            foreach (var drawer in Exhaust)
            {
                var colorR = car.ExhaustColorR.SmoothedValue / 255f;
                var colorG = car.ExhaustColorG.SmoothedValue / 255f;
                var colorB = car.ExhaustColorG.SmoothedValue / 255f;
                drawer.SetOutput(exhaustParticles, car.ExhaustMagnitude.SmoothedValue, new Color((byte)car.ExhaustColorR.SmoothedValue, (byte)car.ExhaustColorG.SmoothedValue, (byte)car.ExhaustColorB.SmoothedValue));
            }

base.PrepareFrame(frame, elapsedTime);
        }

Line
                var colorB = car.ExhaustColorG.SmoothedValue / 255f;

seems clearly wrong.

Attached are the runactivity exes which correct the error for the standard OR version (1.3.1)
Attached File  Runactivities_RGBExhaust.zip (1.11MB)
Number of downloads: 256
Does this change something in the diesel exhaust color with the standard OR, for engines using the ORTSDieselEngines section and the ExhaustColor ()? For engines not using such section nothing should change, because the Exhaust color is grey, that is it has all color components with the same value.

The bug is present also in the Monogame version.

By the way in StackOverflow I found following page https://stackoverflo...lor-packedvalue , where this is written: "IIRC DirectX uses BGRA color while XNA uses RGBA". So there is no unique convention. This confuses me.

#3 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:55 AM

Hi Carlo,

Thank you for looking into this.

I am reading your full reply and I have some reading to do, but I can answer at least part of your reply.

The ORTS portion of the engine file used is right here in the forum:

Diesel exhaust is always black

Once I saw the bug with another engine I went back to an older test and used the same engine file.

Molte gracie,
Steve

#4 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 29 December 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

By the way in StackOverflow I found following page https://stackoverflo...lor-packedvalue , where this is written: "IIRC DirectX uses BGRA color while XNA uses RGBA". So there is no unique convention. This confuses me.

I think we should try to follow what MSTS/ORTS have been using for well over a decade now (Light section in .eng file, etc), which is the RGB convention. Most if not all paint programs use the RGB convention (since the 1980s I have used that thought process/convention ) As indicated it also follows the HTML standard. This makes it quite easy for the user to copy and paste a value as opposed to reversing the sequence of numbers. I do not understand why ORTS has an entry for "aa" in the ExhaustColor () if we are not going to use it at all, this is confusing for the user, but as well it is what took me so much time to decipher what the bug was. The documentation is rather poor in this respect.

Steve

#5 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

Steve,
try this exe patch for the MG version.

#6 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:31 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 29 December 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

Carlo,

I cannot test the modified files, both have "corrupt" keyboard assignments that do not allow for proper testing. This includes cameras and elements like throttle increase/decrease. Did you send me a modified version for use with an EU/Italian keyboard? The key assignments do not correspond with a North American 101 keyboard.

Sorry about this, but thanks and hope you find the time to recompile at your leisure for testing,
Steve

#7 User is offline   ErickC 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:30 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 29 December 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

I think we should try to follow what MSTS/ORTS have been using for well over a decade now (Light section in .eng file, etc), which is the RGB convention.

I agree. If you change certain things, then content developers have to start issuing patches, and we have better things to do with our time. "What do the people who actually build things for our platform think" ought to be one of the very first guiding questions, I think.

I mean, if we did what DirectX wanted us to do, we'd have to flip all of our textures to correspond to DirectX's native coordinate system, which is backwards from every other coordinate system on Earth... there's no sense in perpetuating Microsoft's mistakes for the sake of complying with Microsoft's mistakes.

#8 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:59 AM

I remember having to change the colour channel order regarding the headlights when doing the XNA 3.1 to 4.0 port years ago. I cannot recall now which file that is exactly, but look for that to see how that was done. I don't think I've done the same conversion for other rgb parameters, so it is highly possible that such bugs remained in the code.

#9 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Peter.
Here
http://www.elvastowe...post__p__243764
the links are available to an OR MG version that should correct the error (that is they maintain compatibility with the standard OR and with MSTS).

#10 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:58 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 29 December 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

I think we should try to follow what MSTS/ORTS have been using for well over a decade now (Light section in .eng file, etc), which is the RGB convention. Most if not all paint programs use the RGB convention (since the 1980s I have used that thought process/convention ) As indicated it also follows the HTML standard. This makes it quite easy for the user to copy and paste a value as opposed to reversing the sequence of numbers. I do not understand why ORTS has an entry for "aa" in the ExhaustColor () if we are not going to use it at all, this is confusing for the user, but as well it is what took me so much time to decipher what the bug was. The documentation is rather poor in this respect.

It doesn't make the slightest difference what web, paint programs or other software does; only what MSTS does. If we're reading the value differently to MSTS, it should be fixed. That's all there is to it.

With that said, quite often MSTS's behaviour will be defined entirely by how DirectX does something, because MSTS uses DirectX.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users