• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Raildriver adoption Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

this new version does now allow to remove preassigned (default) button mappings, and also has a check for duplicate assignments (similar like Key Assignment check)

To remove a button mapping, just click the respective editor field, and use the backspace key on keyboard to delete the assignment.
Also includes all the recent updates from regular OR version

Attached File(s)

#42 User is offline   MrGrumpy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS (OpenRails + RailDriver)

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:14 AM

View PostperpetualKid, on 03 February 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

finally got some time to complete work on the RailDriver implementation I started few weeks ago.

this includes:
- a new tab page on Options Dialog in Menu to customize Raildriver. The tab page will only show if an RD is connected
- on the page, RD buttons can be customized in a similar way as keyboard settings. Known limitation - each functionality can only have one unique button assigned. This means the horn and e-stop dual way switches can be assigned to different settings only, but not the same on either direction. In default config however, both switches still can be used in both ways for the same functionality.
- RailDriver calibration is now part of the options dialog. Calibration is fully integrated in ORTS, so there is no need for separate calibration program and calibration files. Therefore an initial calibration needs to be run in ORTS. While Calibration runs, a guidance dialog will be shown as in the screenshot, showing which lever to move in position to get a measurement, before moving to next. {snip}

Just a simple question: as this thread indicates, the OpenRails Options RailDriver tab has a 'Calibration' button, but after one has used it and confirmed to save the changes, where does ORTS put the new calibration settings?

Using RailDriver's own RDCalibration.exe produces a file called ModernCalibration.rdm, which as per instructions, you put in the Train Simulator root directory. I would have imagined OR's inbuilt Calibration process would write a similar file (somewhere) but I have no idea where. The file in the root folder is certainly not being updated after calibration via OR, so is OR actually saving the settings at all?

I'm not convinced that it is: I like to see positive proof such as an old-fashioned file with a timestamp ;)

In the Registry, OR has a series of entries which I had assumed are the defaults used if no calibration file is found? Or is that where it saves the new calibration settings? The OR installation manual says OR looks for the calibration settings .rdm file first in the root folder, then in PIEngineering's own folders in Program Files and if it still finds nothing, it uses defaults.

So the question is, if one uses OR to calibrate the RailDriver rather than the standalone RDCalibration.exe, how/where is OR actually updating and saving the settings? If it is the case that external files are no longer to be used, could it be displayed on the tab the date/time when the calibration was last run and saved?

(Ignore any iffy attachments which might creep in)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: depot-field-hospital-city-point.jpg
  • Attached Image: NPS_marker_for_Depot_Field_Hospital_at_City_Point.jpg
  • Attached Image: field-hospital-mason_orig.jpg
  • Attached Image: hospital wharf.jpg
  • Attached Image: IMG_20190218_0003.jpg

#43 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

View PostMrGrumpy, on 18 March 2019 - 05:14 AM, said:

Just a simple question: as this thread indicates, the OpenRails Options RailDriver tab has a 'Calibration' button, but after one has used it and confirmed to save the changes, where does ORTS put the new calibration settings?

Using RailDriver's own RDCalibration.exe produces a file called ModernCalibration.rdm, which as per instructions, you put in the Train Simulator root directory. I would have imagined OR's inbuilt Calibration process would write a similar file (somewhere) but I have no idea where. The file in the root folder is certainly not being updated after calibration via OR, so is OR actually saving the settings at all?

I'm not convinced that it is: I like to see positive proof such as an old-fashioned file with a timestamp ;)

In the Registry, OR has a series of entries which I had assumed are the defaults used if no calibration file is found? Or is that where it saves the new calibration settings? The OR installation manual says OR looks for the calibration settings .rdm file first in the root folder, then in PIEngineering's own folders in Program Files and if it still finds nothing, it uses defaults.

So the question is, if one uses OR to calibrate the RailDriver rather than the standalone RDCalibration.exe, how/where is OR actually updating and saving the settings? If it is the case that external files are no longer to be used, could it be displayed on the tab the date/time when the calibration was last run and saved?

Unfortunately I think a few posts in this thread are lost during the recent forums crash, which were discussing the same topic, so lets summarize:

The calibration does no longer need separate calibration files to be copied somewhere etc, but simply stores the calibration and RD settings a part of the wider OR settings, which by default goes to Windows registry (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenRails\ORTS\RailDriver).
Since this whole new RD handling is experimental as of now, the manual is not updated yet to reflect these changes.

I'm not sure of the benefit displaying a timestamp of last calibration, although it's not a big effort. But understanding the RD hardware, I'd recommend to just rerun calibration if I doubt, now that the process is much better integrated also.

#44 User is offline   MrGrumpy 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS (OpenRails + RailDriver)

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostperpetualKid, on 18 March 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

Unfortunately I think a few posts in this thread are lost during the recent forums crash, which were discussing the same topic, so lets summarize:

The calibration does no longer need separate calibration files to be copied somewhere etc, but simply stores the calibration and RD settings a part of the wider OR settings, which by default goes to Windows registry (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenRails\ORTS\RailDriver).
Since this whole new RD handling is experimental as of now, the manual is not updated yet to reflect these changes.

I'm not sure of the benefit displaying a timestamp of last calibration, although it's not a big effort. But understanding the RD hardware, I'd recommend to just rerun calibration if I doubt, now that the process is much better integrated also.

Thanks very much - it did seem as if I'd missed something, but the problem with missing posts explained it! Yes, a timestamp displayed would help, just to provide some visible reassurance that the registry has been updated successfully. It is great to have the calibration integrated - well done.

#45 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:06 AM

Two of my questions/queries have apparently been lost in the forum crash. These are:

1. Can the onscreen alerter information be given for regulator, reverser and brake application as it is in keyboard application?

2. Can (Alt + F4) be added as a function available with the programmable keys?

Thanks

#46 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:58 AM

The entry "Updating RailDriver SDK library to prepare for 64bit mode" regularly appears in the update details for the Unstable version. Does this mean that RailDriver will soon be able to be used with this?

#47 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:06 AM

View Postdforrest, on 29 July 2021 - 04:58 AM, said:

The entry "Updating RailDriver SDK library to prepare for 64bit mode" regularly appears in the update details for the Unstable version. Does this mean that RailDriver will soon be able to be used with this?

Anyone!!??

#48 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:45 AM

View Postdforrest, on 29 July 2021 - 04:58 AM, said:

this only updates the 3rd-party Raildriver library for an 64bit-ready version, while the currently used library is 32bit only. This new library does in fact allow both 32bit and 64bit, so if a future version of OR would want to enable 64bit mode, RD is no longer a blocking issue.
Else there are no changes to the current RailDriver functionality, so you can continue using your RD in OR as described in the manual.

This does not include any other changes to RailDriver such as the alternate implementation available in "unofficial" OR-MG versions.

#49 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:54 AM

I am confused. Am I doing something wrong because I do not appear to be able to user RailDriver in the "Testing" version of OpenRails?

#50 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:34 AM

View Postdforrest, on 04 August 2021 - 09:54 AM, said:

I am confused. Am I doing something wrong because I do not appear to be able to user RailDriver in the "Testing" version of OpenRails?

3. Introduction — Open Rails Manual (open-rails.readthedocs.io)

RailDriver Instructions for Open Rails Game

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users