• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Raildriver adoption Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

so Santa Claus dropped a package at my house containing a RailDriver board :)

Unfortunately didn't got it working in the first trial, but I discovered the RailDriver support in ORTS is bound to an older 32bit driver implementation from PI Engineering. Good news though, PI is supporting 64bit in newer versions of their API. However there are some changes in the PI API which require couple updates to the OR code for RailDriver to get the new version to work. Furthermore, they way it's implemented, may cause some challenges supporting both a 32bit and 64bit at the same time. I'm looking to implement this in a 64bit version of OR MG at least, but potentially backport to the official (32bit) version as well - if there is interest at all...

So while getting into the code, wondering how many folks are using RailDriver with ORTS, if there's larger interest in other changes.
I searched the forums and there seem few sporadic messages on RailDriver only, and indicating missing features like programmable key mappings or different keys mappings for OR camera views.

What's on folks mind, do we need any updates for RailDriver in OR? No commitment or timelines yet ;)

#2 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 25 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

Merry Christmas!

I have been using my RailDriver with OR since support for it was first implemented and with MSTS before that.
I am pretty happy with the existing implementation but would very much like to see extensions to blue button functions.
Some people were working on this 2 or 3 years ago. I tried the patches they provided and appreciated the extensions.
For some reason their patches were not added to OR Experimental Release version.

Paul

P.S. Only interested in 64 bit Monogame OR.

#3 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

View Postfarrmp, on 25 December 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

Merry Christmas!

I have been using my RailDriver with OR since support for it was first implemented and with MSTS before that.
I am pretty happy with the existing implementation but would very much like to see extensions to blue button functions.
Some people were working on this 2 or 3 years ago. I tried the patches they provided and appreciated the extensions.
For some reason their patches were not added to OR Experimental Release version.

Paul

P.S. Only interested in 64 bit Monogame OR.

Paul, do you have a list of these changes/patches by chance?
Looks like not all of the blue button are in use in OR, I'd be happy to give them a try and do some testing.
Or implement other changes if we agree on the functionality.

Also I got the 64bit RailDriver adapted much quicker than initially thought (or did I just got more time to spent during xmas …) and this should work with 32bit a well, as long the correct driver from PI is available. Changes are in my repo but not binary packaged yet.

#4 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostperpetualKid, on 30 December 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Looks like not all of the blue button are in use in OR, I'd be happy to give them a try and do some testing.

Also I got the 64bit Raildriver adapted much quicker than initially thought (or did I just got more time to spent during xmas …) and this should work with 32bit a well, as long the correct driver from PI is available. Changes are in my repo but not binary packaged yet.

Hi,

I did a little digging and found that MikeJRoth is the person that created a patck back in February of 2017 called UserInputRaildriver.cs described in this thread on ET:
http://www.elvastowe...__1#entry216131

Hope this helps. It seems that Mike has not been active here at ET since 2017. My feeling is there are a LOT more Raildriver users on OpenRails than care to comment.

Paul

#5 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

I have had a RailDriver for many years but find that its support for steam locomotives, the only thing I seriously drive, is very limited.

#6 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:21 PM

I have a raildriver and use it often with both steam and diesel. I agree that it is not ideal for running steam engines it can get the job done for throttle and brake anyway. Anything to make things better for future use would be great.

#7 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:19 AM

I vastly prefer the RailDriver in Open Rails. The built-in implementation is old, limited in that control assignments are static (Can't be modified/re-mapped) and there are a couple of bugs -- automatic bell can't be silenced from the RailDriver (has to be reset from the keyboard), and independent brake bail-off doesn't work properly (Sticks on and has to be reset from the keyboard.)

Some experimental improvements were tested as a proof-of-concept, but never progressed; I think the Trello board has RailDriver support overhaul slated for future work -- the change to Monogame and 64-bit support is likely going to be a push in that direction.

#8 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:54 AM

I go back and forth...Raildriver mechanical controls just do not offer the fine control of the keyboard...I find the brake control levers to be especially insensitive and inadequate. Raildriver hardware is outdated and needs to be redesigned. Of course, odds are, that will never happen.

My Raildriver is about five years old, not too old, so maybe my brake controls are worn or otherwise defective...I certainly have calibrated them.
Do any others experience an auto brake that is sluggish and imprecise?

#9 User is offline   BillC 

• Conductor
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostperpetualKid, on 30 December 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Also I got the 64bit Raildriver adapted much quicker than initially thought (or did I just got more time to spent during xmas …) and this should work with 32bit a well, as long the correct driver from PI is available. Changes are in my repo but not binary packaged yet.

Hi perpetualKid,
I also hacked the UserInputRailDriver.cs file, and have a working 64bit RD from your MG GitHub version. Haven't really used the RD very much in the last couple of years. Agree with a previous comment on this thread, the analog inputs are not precise enough for find control. Have even entertained the thought of creaking open the case, to see if the pots could be replaced with digital encoders. Then adding a modern MCU to interface, like a game pad controller. Dream on…..

As far as the blue switches are concerned. IMHO the approach should be more or less like the TS2019 method. In the OR menu to have an option to select the 64 or 32 bit version. Have a setup program, to generate a table to map functions to keys.Then at run time load the table, when initializing the RD. Similar to he way F1 remaps the keyboard controls.

#10 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:09 PM

I have used the raildriver with several different train simulators. I must say that Run8 has the best implementation. You calibrate it in the game and the controls work much better than they do in any other train simulator. Including the auto brake. I think the control issue that is experienced in OR is related to controls setup in the eng files in combination with the sscript and coding built into OR.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users