• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving beyond Windows XP Why we are moving on Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:56 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 22 December 2018 - 10:52 PM, said:

Carlo, somehow I did not see that post, so thanks for the URL! Seems like a lot of work for the average to do to get a 64 bit version up and running, I hope that "soon" a zip file will exist with all of that ready to run.

Thanks,
Steve

At that link there is a ready to run 64 bit version. It only requires a newer version of XNA (however I didn't install such newer version out of fear of incompatibilities).

#12 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 22 December 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

Ok then, so from what I read, any new work will not run under 32 bit, regardless of whatever version of Windows you are using (Win7 32bit included)?

I can only speak for the OR MG version I've been working on (and Carlo pointed to). This version is compiled AnyCPU, so it should run on 32bit also, just on 64bit OS it will be able to leverage the full x64 advantages and larger memory space. Unfortunately don't have an Win7/32bit machine at hand to test and doesn't work in a VM either.

At this point a readily publicly "usable/ready to run" version of Monogame 64 bit is not available. It is not a "position" but an observation.

Again this is not an official OR version, but you can download a binary package here https://github.com/p...TS-MG/releases. This package is code base from 9/25, but if there is interest I will create a new package the next couple days. The code base itself in the repo is fairly up to date, so anyone can build a version on it's own. There were a few changes for x64 compatibility required on the sound layer, and to ensure both correct OpenAL and DirectX version are registered in the system, I did not package these 3rd party libraries but require them separately installed.
It would certainly help folks like Carlo and myself if people test the MG version on different systems and configurations, so it gets tested across a larger base and we can make sure the changes for MG and 64bit code work as expected. However this should work as far down as Win7 and 32bit.

#13 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

MG versions work great on my system, which runs Win 7-32bit, so currently they are perfectly compatible

#14 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 19 December 2018 - 12:03 AM, said:

We're moving beyond WIn XP in the next few weeks. While it's possible to maintain a version just for Win XP (as Carlo has been doing for MonoGame), it's extra work so we're not planning to release Open Rails 1.4 in a version for Win XP.

Thank you Chris. I'm so glad I ignored the tales of woe of going to Win10. I was careful and configured the install, a free upgrade, and the only problem I've had was in the beginning the DVD drive would not accept unformatted blank dvd's, long since fixed.
Open Rails is very stable on the W10 platform.

Many Happy Returns and Joy for this Holiday Season to you and all the developers of this fine world class Train Simulator.http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/drinks.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/burp.gif

Best regards'
vince Cockeram

#15 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:35 PM

View PostperpetualKid, on 23 December 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Again this is not an official OR version, but you can download a binary package here https://github.com/p...TS-MG/releases. This package is code base from 9/25, but if there is interest I will create a new package the next couple days.

You have my vote for the updated package from the most recent source. It would be interesting to see if the 64 Bit version lives up to its promise for areas that have and abundance of dynamic shadows to display. The current 32 bit Monogame version that Carlo compiles mostly delivers 60 FPS (1920 x1080) when ShadowAllShapes is enabled, with some exceptions. I have access to a machine with 64 Gb of memory, which hopefully with a true 64 Bit version of Monogame will not suffer from OOM when the camera is static and there are lot of consists that are loaded "on the fly" by distinct passing trains,

Could you clarify if your version requires XNA, Carlo's post seems to suggest that is so.

Many thanks,
Steve

#16 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:39 PM

View Postvince, on 23 December 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Thank you Chris. I'm so glad I ignored the tales of woe of going to Win10.

I admire your courage, not for train simming purposes, but for allowing yourself to be bombarded with ads, invasion of privacy, calling the mothership without your consent, messing with your default program choices, not to mention updates that erase user data!

#17 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

View Postebnertra000, on 23 December 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

MG versions work great on my system, which runs Win 7-32bit, so currently they are perfectly compatible

But are you using "perpetualKid"s compiled version or Carlo's?

#18 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 22 December 2018 - 11:56 PM, said:

At that link there is a ready to run 64 bit version. It only requires a newer version of XNA (however I didn't install such newer version out of fear of incompatibilities).

So this is not a true Monogame version then? I have not tried it yet.

Thanks,
Steve

#19 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:40 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 23 December 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

You have my vote for the updated package from the most recent source. It would be interesting to see if the 64 Bit version lives up to its promise for areas that have and abundance of dynamic shadows to display. The current 32 bit Monogame version that Carlo compiles mostly delivers 60 FPS (1920 x1080) when ShadowAllShapes is enabled, with some exceptions. I have access to a machine with 64 Gb of memory, which hopefully with a true 64 Bit version of Monogame will not suffer from OOM when the camera is static and there are lot of consists that are loaded "on the fly" by distinct passing trains,

Could you clarify if your version requires XNA, Carlo's post seems to suggest that is so.

Many thanks,
Steve

there you go https://github.com/p...eases/tag/1.3.1

it does not require XNA - it's based on MonoGame 3.7 (binaries included in the package), but does require DirectX and OpenAL.
DirectX may be already installed on most systems, I didn't bother to check the dependencies.
The issue with OpenAL is that both the 64bit and 32bit version are called OpenAL32.dll, hence I rather rely on the original installer than providing binary dlls.

#20 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:46 AM

View PostperpetualKid, on 23 December 2018 - 11:40 PM, said:

there you go https://github.com/p...eases/tag/1.3.1

it does not require XNA - it's based on MonoGame 3.7 (binaries included in the package), but does require DirectX and OpenAL.
DirectX may be already installed on most systems, I didn't bother to check the dependencies.
The issue with OpenAL is that both the 64bit and 32bit version are called OpenAL32.dll, hence I rather rely on the original installer than providing binary dlls.

Sorry, the message I received is that a newer of dotNet Framework is needed (4.7.1), and not a newer XNA version. Unfortunately the OS versions I have don't seem to support dotNet Framework 4.7.1.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users