Colour of "Reversal Point" display in Track Monitor Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:35 AM

View Postdforrest, on 15 January 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

Let's try again!!

Attached is a pic showing the display of a white reverse point and a yellow Train Ahead indicator. The reverse point is almost indistinguishable. Can the colour or transparency of either of them be changed so that both can be seen?

From observation, changing the colour of the RP will not make any difference where it is under the consist icon. If you look at an RP that is on or very close to an end of track authority red bar, the red bar hides the RP where it crosses the RP. Atering the transparency of the covering icon will not be much better either. One solution would be to reverse the draw calls so that the RP icon sits on top of any icon that occupies the same location.

#22 User is online   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:47 AM

Firstly referring to ebnertra000's post. Twenty years? If that is correct, for the vast majority of this time there was not a yellow Train Ahead indicator obscuring it!!

copperpen, when running an activity, at the point reached, it is most important for the user to be able to see exactly when the white reverse point arrow disappears (in addition to watching the actual train on the monitor). This cannot be done when only a small part of the point of the white arrow is visible as most of it is obscured by the yellow box. The Taint Ahead indicator, once see, is giving no more information. How well would the white arrow show on top of the yellow?

#23 User is offline   ebnertra000 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR/TSRE

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

View Postdforrest, on 16 January 2019 - 03:47 AM, said:

Firstly referring to ebnertra000's post. Twenty years? If that is correct, for the vast majority of this time there was not a yellow Train Ahead indicator obscuring it!!

Alright, you got me there... Been a while since I played MSTS, but I think the RP was above everything...and got in the way of seeing whatever was below it.

You are aware that you could probably pretty easily test these ideas of yours, right? All you'd have to do is edit the TrackMonitorImages .png in the OR content folder to see if changing colors or transparency will work

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: TrackMonitorImages.gif

#24 User is online   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

View Postebnertra000, on 16 January 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

Alright, you got me there... Been a while since I played MSTS, but I think the RP was above everything...and got in the way of seeing whatever was below it.

You are aware that you could probably pretty easily test these ideas of yours, right? All you'd have to do is edit the TrackMonitorImages .png in the OR content folder to see if changing colors or transparency will work

Unfortunately above my skill level. Can a change in colour/transparency be made?

#25 User is online   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:21 AM

For some reason totally unknown to me, once in a long activity, the white reverse point arrow was displayed on top of the yellow train ahead indicator rectangle. It was very easy to see without straining my eyes as I normally have to do to see one point of the arrow which is all that is visible under the yellow rectangle. Can this possibly be made the default?

#26 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

View Postdforrest, on 03 February 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

For some reason totally unknown to me, once in a long activity, the white reverse point arrow was displayed on top of the yellow train ahead indicator rectangle. .............................snip...................................."

Probably that has to do exactly where the RP is placed in relation to the TrJunctionNode, The TrEndNode and the loose consist. That says to me the PR was not under the consist but testing that theory would require testing.

Yes, long activities are difficult to test but perhaps you could simulate the differences with a short test activity using the same location and rolling stock?
Moving the loose consist in relation to the Nodes I mentioned could possibly show you the differences.

regards,
vince

#27 User is online   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

It is not really a testing problem but a general problem for users running the activities but not being able to properly see the white reverse point symbol. Can this be changed to be always on top of the yellow train ahead indicator?

#28 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:09 PM

View Postdforrest, on 03 February 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

It is not really a testing problem but a general problem for users running the activities but not being able to properly see the white reverse point symbol. Can this be changed to be always on top of the yellow train ahead indicator?

I dunno about the encompassing term "users'...the color of reversal arrows never bothered me much, got used to it. Of course, I was not habituated to MSTS, having only run it one month until I discovered OR. Honestly, it appears that the color of the reversal arrows is of importance to you, perhaps also to others? Maybe you should start a Trello item on this.
I think the OR development team and all the users should give some serious thought to making quite sure the simulator has "ease of access" for all users. Perhaps some users need larger type, for others an ability to pick color from a selection of track monitor objects ( which would include reversal arrows) would be something worth pursuing.

A user selection from among several color schemes of "TrackMonitorImages.png" is a good idea. I certainly could support that.

However, it always comes down to this fact - coders volunteer to pursue items they are interested in ( that's good) so certain things may wait until the right person finds the project and becomes involved. So for this user of OR, when I see something I would like, I always remember what the great M. Jagger said ==

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

#29 User is online   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:19 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 03 February 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

Maybe you should start a Trello item on this.

Done.

#30 User is online   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:50 AM

View PostFrom 04 February 2019 - 04:19 AM:

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

I do not think that that is a reasonable comment.

My intention is not to satisfy myself but to make activities utilising reverse points readily and easily usable by all users.

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users